Author Topic: Doubters have something coming  (Read 6930 times)

Re: Doubters have something coming
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Thread title makes me think of something my old man used to say, "My mother always used to tell me, 'well mister, you've got another thing coming!' I always wondered what that other thing was. When was it coming?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtuoFv4dcwM

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I gave you a TP. e need your optimism here.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
So, we are to believe that the blank and sometimes painful stares of KG on the bench, loss after loss, the play of PP looking like he's ready for "the home", Rondo making boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and our guys in general shooting like insurance salesmen(no offense) rather than professional BB players, is simply one of the greatest charades known to man---and when the playoffs start they'll just rip off the fake Celtic unis, to reveal the real Celtics, and run roughshod over everyone to win #18!!!??

I'm sorry. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck---it's the Boston Celtics!

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You're right on some level.
This team is one that's essentially built for the playoffs.

Danny felt if we got the extra bench guys and the added production of our youth that we'd have a strong regular season going into the playoffs positioned nicely with a great record, hopefully getting at least the first two rounds at home.

It's unexpected and I think that Pierce and KG were expecting more input from the new guys and young guys.

I still think we'll be fine come playoff time.
I can't really see any trades happening because Danny is too smart to roll the dice when our chips value are at an all time low.

Something involving Lee and Bass is most likely but we'll need them to be on their game if we get to the ECF and see the Heat.
Danny's probably worried about Chicago the most and their size.

I know that KG, PP and Rondo will all show up for the playoffs. Terry will too.

We just need everyone else to shine under the bright lights and we're in with at least a 25% shot at getting to the ECF.
If we collect ourselves and get there, I can't see why we can't beat the Heat.

You just have to remember that this is a team that was built for the playoffs. They don't care about the regular season unfortunately and that always makes us panic at this time of year.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. I don't think a big trade is likely but getting a decent big man would be nice.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Don't overlook this team when the lights shine brightest. Health-willing, the Celtics will go as far as their floor spacing lets them. Playoff time it's the Rondo, KG, and Pierce show. We need Bass, Terry, Avery, and Lee to make shots when it's their time. That's it.

Think about that. We have KG, Pierce, and Rondo. Who else do you want to go to war with? If they have their legs under them, they will die in the playoffs if they have to.

If Brandon Bass gets straight, it doesn't even matter if this bench figures out how to play (they probably won't).

Yes our defense has sucked. Yes, we haven't been instigators, we've been retaliators. Yes, our bench has atrocious toughness. Yes, Rondo is barely trying on defense. Yes, Pierce doesn't get the extra step/lift he needs unless his juices are flowing.

All of these things don't matter.  Once the adrenaline is rushing, the team will unify, and those problems will be solved.

The Celtics have more warriors on their team than any other playoff team. Never stop believing in this team. Never be a prisoner of the moment.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

One problem with your little theory...

We are 3 losses below .500, and the only reason we are in 8th spot right now is because the other teams have been so darn bad.

Unless we start playing regular season games like they mean something, we won't actually BE in the playoffs.

Think on that!

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Paul Pierce is my favorite Celtic of all time.  I don't really want to trade him, because he should be a Celtic forever.  But have you watched him play lately?  His offense has been erratic at best, and has been downright amateur at the end of games.  And he's the weak link on defense.

I think this team has the talent to do something in the playoffs, but not if Paul Pierce is an on-court leader for 30+ minutes per game.  Locker room leader, fine.  Second-unit leader (assuming he's leading and not dominating the ball) great.  But the current version of Paul Pierce is part of the problem, and not someone to hang one's hopes on.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Don't overlook this team when the lights shine brightest. Health-willing, the Celtics will go as far as their floor spacing lets them. Playoff time it's the Rondo, KG, and Pierce show. We need Bass, Terry, Avery, and Lee to make shots when it's their time. That's it.

Think about that. We have KG, Pierce, and Rondo. Who else do you want to go to war with? If they have their legs under them, they will die in the playoffs if they have to.

If Brandon Bass gets straight, it doesn't even matter if this bench figures out how to play (they probably won't).

Yes our defense has sucked. Yes, we haven't been instigators, we've been retaliators. Yes, our bench has atrocious toughness. Yes, Rondo is barely trying on defense. Yes, Pierce doesn't get the extra step/lift he needs unless his juices are flowing.

All of these things don't matter.  Once the adrenaline is rushing, the team will unify, and those problems will be solved.

The Celtics have more warriors on their team than any other playoff team. Never stop believing in this team. Never be a prisoner of the moment.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

One problem with your little theory...

We are 3 losses below .500, and the only reason we are in 8th spot right now is because the other teams have been so darn bad.

Unless we start playing regular season games like they mean something, we won't actually BE in the playoffs.

Think on that!
After looking at the upcoming schedule, I'd say a 5-15 record in our next 20 games is very possible and would find us well out of the playoffs!

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Paul Pierce is my favorite Celtic of all time.  I don't really want to trade him, because he should be a Celtic forever.  But have you watched him play lately?  His offense has been erratic at best, and has been downright amateur at the end of games.  And he's the weak link on defense.

He got old overnight or he is injured.  He can no longer create seperation on his shot.  When wing players lose their athletic ability is most noticable because the best athletes are wings.

I think this team has the talent to do something in the playoffs, but not if Paul Pierce is an on-court leader for 30+ minutes per game.  Locker room leader, fine.  Second-unit leader (assuming he's leading and not dominating the ball) great.  But the current version of Paul Pierce is part of the problem, and not someone to hang one's hopes on.

Everyone here is hoping for this to happen.  I am beginning to have serious doubts about our ability to do so.  I would love to be wrong here though.  I think these guys have enough pride to turn it on if they could.   This leads me to believe they can't turn it on.

If we make the playoffs do you think we can beat the first seed?

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic, but at least try to keep a little perspective on what's really going on. That way when it doesn't happen it won't hit you so hard.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I needed a good laugh this morning so thanks for this thread.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ok, so exactly how bright do the lights have to shine for PP, KG and RR to start winning?

I take it the lights during a Thursday night TNT game vs the Knicks aren't bright enough?

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So, we are to believe that the blank and sometimes painful stares of KG on the bench, loss after loss, the play of PP looking like he's ready for "the home", Rondo making boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and our guys in general shooting like insurance salesmen(no offense) rather than professional BB players, is simply one of the greatest charades known to man---and when the playoffs start they'll just rip off the fake Celtic unis, to reveal the real Celtics, and run roughshod over everyone to win #18!!!??

I'm sorry. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck---it's the Boston Celtics!

Get the duck boats ready!!! (lol!)

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
I'm bumping this because I got a lot of grief when I made this thread, and I wanted to see how people would react now.

It's not even the playoffs where the Celtics shine, and they are already on the right track.

They've shown the grittiness and saavy we've come to expect.

Never stop believing, Cs fans!
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Good call!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm bumping this because I got a lot of grief when I made this thread, and I wanted to see how people would react now.

It's not even the playoffs where the Celtics shine, and they are already on the right track.

They've shown the grittiness and saavy we've come to expect.

Never stop believing, Cs fans!

TP, Good Man.

Jeff Green was just starting to find his groove when this thread started...some of us were fearful of the tough months ahead of us back then.

Some of us were fearful of whether this team could step for Rondo's absence...thought the team would get blown up around the trade deadline....

We were out of the playoffs when this thread started, I believe. Now?

Lakers, Clips, Indy , ATL, MIA, CHI, few others - have lost to this BOS team.

We are in 6th place, and within striking distance of 2nd. Teams in front of us are dealing with injuries, too.

Jeff is in his groove...Wilcox is getting close. Paul is carrying the team, KG is getting his playoff mindset ready.

We are about to play OKC. A month or so ago, I'd predict perhaps an OKC win. Now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfa58-iI_p0

Can't count out these C's. We were getting blown out in that game, and then I remember AB and the bench getting us back in it with plays like this

BOS can beat ANYONE, now. Many of us were questioning whether we could think such a thing, even I.

Hey Vinnie - are you still laughing, my friend? :)