Author Topic: What do Ray, Bass, Baby and JO have in common?  (Read 3065 times)

What do Ray, Bass, Baby and JO have in common?
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
At some point they had a problem with the offensive system...said so in the media. Not enough touches. Not enough opps. When Ray got hurt/had to come off bench he was no longer part of the big 3...was just a decoy (like JG, Terry, Lee, AB often are). Ball is always in the hands of the 'big 3'.

I know we poke fun at Bass, Baby, and JO...Bass sucks now and I don't think JO did much (but I absolutely love him and had been following him since Indy), and I KNOW he could've done more.

So do we just sit back and laugh at these guys or say hey, they might be on to something?
Do we all seriously believe that these other players can't offer more?

Re: What do Ray, Bass, Baby and JO have in common?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:12:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It is kind of surprising to see to have several players complain about their role in such a short period. Several other guys have had difficulty offensively here too (the backup guards = Nate Robinson, Steph Marbury, Jason Terry).

It does make you wonder why this is happening.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
At some point they had a problem with the offensive system...said so in the media. Not enough touches. Not enough opps. When Ray got hurt/had to come off bench he was no longer part of the big 3...was just a decoy (like JG, Terry, Lee, AB often are). Ball is always in the hands of the 'big 3'.

I know we poke fun at Bass, Baby, and JO...Bass sucks now and I don't think JO did much (but I absolutely love him and had been following him since Indy), and I KNOW he could've done more.

So do we just sit back and laugh at these guys or say hey, they might be on to something?

Let's see a quote by Bass where he's complaining about his touches.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

He literally just made one yesterday. Btw kgainez, you stole this from my reply earlier, right? >_<
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Yeah, if you're talking about this, you've completely missed the point of his comments.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701612/frustrated-bass-not-satisfied-with-play

Asked what he would like to see different over the second half of the season, Bass offered: "Everything that comes with having better production. That's what I would like to see improve. I would like to see me being more efficient with the shots I do get, making them, try to be perfect out there. Minutes go up."

He's saying he needs to convert more of his current opportunities, not get more shots.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:18 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Yeah, if you're talking about this, you've completely missed the point of his comments.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701612/frustrated-bass-not-satisfied-with-play

Asked what he would like to see different over the second half of the season, Bass offered: "Everything that comes with having better production. That's what I would like to see improve. I would like to see me being more efficient with the shots I do get, making them, try to be perfect out there. Minutes go up."

He's saying he needs to convert more of his current opportunities, not get more shots.

Justify Terry, Robinson, O'Neal,  Davis, Marbury, Green now,
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Justify Terry, Robinson, O'Neal,  Davis, Marbury, Green now,

What?

I could care less about the players who aren't here anymore.

I'm responding to the second thread in as many days that has completely twisted Bass' self-assessments--that he's disappointed in his own performance--into a perception that he's being a bad teammate.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

and then Brandon said...

"I mean, if you consider my numbers down, you've got to look all around," Bass said. "So if you see my numbers down then you see my minutes. If my minutes are down, OK, that plays a role. Then you look at how many opportunities I get -- that plays a role. And you get what you get."

Asked if he's satisfied with the season he's having, Bass was very direct: "No, I'm not satisfied."

And ALSO
this thread isn't JUST about Bass...

However you want to take it, it just makes you wonder, does it not?
There have been games when Bass has done well. Just like for the others. But big 3 stay taking most shots..understandable if it's the Heat Big 3 who are young and athletic...but we have a very old 2 and 1 who's rather sporatic.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

He literally just made one yesterday. Btw kgainez, you stole this from my reply earlier, right? >_<

I have no clue what you're talking about?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I think part of it is that these are guys who are use to a larger role on teams earlier in their careers.  Even when JO fell off after leaving Indy, he was still at least the third option on the teams he went to before Boston.

Baby just wanted to be a star, he wanted to be in a role to showcase his skills, he wasnt going to get that on this team at all.

Bass is the only one that has me scratching my head.

.....plus winning always fixes everything.  When youre losing, the reason is always because youre not being used the way you like.
Greg

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I think part of it is that these are guys who are use to a larger role on teams earlier in their careers.  Even when JO fell off after leaving Indy, he was still at least the third option on the teams he went to before Boston.

Baby just wanted to be a star, he wanted to be in a role to showcase his skills, he wasnt going to get that on this team at all.

Bass is the only one that has me scratching my head.

.....plus winning always fixes everything.  When youre losing, the reason is always because youre not being used the way you like.

so disregard Ray.

My point is the offensive system is noninclusive of other talent. hasn't JO had double doubles this season? Big Baby...idk...he had many a tantrum

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This is why I think an offense-oriented big man who can score in the post but who doesn't care to play much defense would be a bad fit for the team (at least, so long as Doc is the coach).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference