Author Topic: ESPN Weekend Dime on Cs  (Read 2886 times)

ESPN Weekend Dime on Cs
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Eastern Conference scout on the Celtics' own mess:

"I thought they were starting to feel good about themselves, but I think I've decided they're just not quite good enough. Their bench has to be playing at the top of their abilities for them to win. And they don't have enough guys big-guy-wise that Doc [Rivers] is comfortable with.

"For them to win games, [Jared] Sullinger pretty much has to have a double-double. And we're talking about a 6-[foot-]7 center. The other big issue is that they've got no one making any 3s. The Jet [Jason Terry] hasn't been on the runway very often. And Avery Bradley, for all his defensive prowess, isn't shooting the ball well, either.

"Paul Pierce is still great in big games, but I think he's getting to that age -- like a lot of guys do -- where he paces himself. He gets up for the challenges of the Chicagos or the Miamis, but in some of these other games, he's not quite The Truth.

"[Rajon] Rondo can change the game when he's engaged, but ... let's just say he's always very aware of his stats. And it's very evident from where I sit that he's playing for steals and assists sometimes instead of making the winning play or the easier play or defending his guy like he should.

"Other people tried to talk me out of it, but I said [before the season] that they'd finish third in [the Atlantic] Division. They're depending too much on their young guys and their bench playing great. They don't have a knock-down shooter and, after six years, they still don't have a reliable backup for Rondo. But I think their 'mess' is what's gonna happen when Pierce is gone and Kevin Garnett is gone. Because there's nobody in the wings."

Ouch. Truth hurts.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: ESPN Weekend Dime on Cs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I like how someone can be so accurate, and so clueless at the same time... but it was achieved.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I agree he diagnosis the problem with the Celtics, who cannot at this point? But he is way off on the prognosis. I just dont think the Celtics if they play it right have to be down for a long time.

There is a good core of solid youth on this team. You have Rondo, Green, AB, Sullinnger, and Melo. That is a nice youth movement. Keep that youth core, and either wait for KG and PP to retire, or if they really want to leave get some solid pieces or draft picks for them, and try to build through the draft or free agency.

I dont mind the 2 years of famine for many years of plenty.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
"[Rajon] Rondo can change the game when he's engaged, but ... let's just say he's always very aware of his stats. And it's very evident from where I sit that he's playing for steals and assists sometimes instead of making the winning play or the easier play or defending his guy like he should.

That's the part that stands out the most to me.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

It's true. It was obvious during the Assists streak. I think everyone to a man on here would have to ultimately admit that Rondo cares a little too much about stuffing the stat sheet sometimes.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I really desire to not think about Rondo as a stat padder.

can someone help me with this? lol

also, i think the scout is right and wrong. it was a very winnable game. questionable decision making and coaching imo.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It's true. It was obvious during the Assists streak. I think everyone to a man on here would have to ultimately admit that Rondo cares a little too much about stuffing the stat sheet sometimes.

Rondo's guilty, to be sure, but it would probably be less of an issue if the team played at a faster pace and got up and down the court more.  Rondo is the team's best player but our offense is still designed to accommodate KG, Pierce and Ray.  By now, Rondo has to be extremely frustrated that he's entering his prime and has never been able to run a team the way he wants to.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

What about that part?  Rondo hasn't cared about steals for two years now.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:06:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This guy is dead on.

Since the winning streak, our bench has been great. Prob one of the best in the league. But it doesn't matter how good they do, bc the starters just plain out stink.

Also i think its true, Rondo really cares about stats at times more than anything else. Instead of fully focusing on his man on the defensive end, he constantly cheats away so that he could get steals and also rebounds.

Last game Devin Harris was having a field day vs rondo , bc rondo wouldn't just stay in front of him.

but you know this is rondo. And its on Doc to set him straight. 2-3 years ago, Rondo would not play like this.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
and, after six years, they still don't have a reliable backup for Rondo.

I think this is an underrated part of the team's problems.  I wonder if Rondo would play differently if he had a more dependable backup.  I wonder if Doc would be more willing to sit Rondo down if he had a reserve PG with a pass-first mentality and defensive intensity.  I wonder if having an actual point guard on the floor at all times and not an undersized SG pushed into a combo guard role would lead to less confusion about players' roles.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No revelations there, unfortunately.  It's all inescapably obvious.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 02:24:27 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
My old college roommate predicted they wouldn't win the division this season and I didn't buy it...Apparently he saw something I didn't...

Season is done. 

They're no better than a .500 ball club, or at the most slightly better.  Deep down, we all know they're not winning it this  year.

I'm not saying they can't make some noise here and there, but this current group can't do much more than it already has. 

DA needs to make a move to put them in serious contention (if such a possible move exists) or he needs to blow it up and gather picks and young talent as best he can to start preparing for the future.  Staying in the middle is the last place this group needs to be...not good enough to win the NBA championship but not bad enough to obtain a lotto pick.