Author Topic: Heat (28-12) at Celtics (20-23) 1/27  (Read 61403 times)

Re: Heat (28-12) at Celtics (20-23) 1/27
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
There is no good reason for that Miami team to be getting out-rebounded. They have good rebounders at every position in their starting five including elite rebounds at the two wings spots.

They have the talent to be a good rebounding squad.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Interestingly enough, I actually really like how we match up with the cHeat. 

Rondo on Chalmers
Rondo clearly has the upper hand on this matchup, and is superior to Chalmers in every way bar outside shooting.

Bradley on Wade
Bradley defends Wade about as well as anybody in the league.  Wade also has a short fuse and has a tendancy to get frustrated if things don't go his way, and Bradley has a special gift for frustrating opposing players with his 'in your face' defensive pressure.

Pierce on Lebron
Lebron obviously has the edge here overall but Pierce and Lebron have had many warriors battles in the past - Pierce has typically held his own, and has had his share of victories. 

Bass on Haslem
This is about as perfect a matchup for Bass as you can get.  He gets to matchup against another undersized PF who's not a major offensive threat.  Both guys are more jump shooters than anything else on offense as well, and both are 'energy' guys.  Very similar players.  Bass is a better scorer, but Haslem is superior rebounder - Bass will need to make an effort on the boards.

Garnett on Bosh
Another perfect matchup - there is nobody in the league I like KG matched up with more than Bosh.  KG defends Bosh incredibly well, and Bosh has had very few big games historically when KG has been matched up with him.  KG is a better defender then Bosh is a scorer, and KG is also a better scorer than Bosh is a defender.  Generally KG has the edge here. 

Backup PG - Terry / Barbosa vs Norris Cole
I think this game will be a good opportunity for Barbosa to do some damage.  Miami (like us) lack shotblockers inside, and Barbosa is incredibly good at getting to the basket.  We need to get him the ball and let him drive hard, hopefully get some easy layups.  He's also a good outside shooter and a good free throw shooter, so Miami can't sag off him or put him at the line.  Cole is a solid defender, but I think Barbosa could be a wild card here.

Terry may be a little slow to stick with Cole, but if he breaks out of his shooting slump and hits some big shots he could be a key.  He's no stranger to killing the Heat, and you can bet that Miami (based on history alone) will be sending defensive attention his way.

Backup SG - Lee vs Allen
Miami's biggest weapon off the bench is Ray Allen, and there are few bench players who can defend him as well as Lee potentially can.  Lee is quick and athletic and should be able to get around a lot of those screens.  He's also good at getting deflection and Ray is an unspectacular ball handler, so there's the potential for Lee to pick up a few easy steals.

On the other end of the court Lee needs to take advantage of his athleticism and attack Ray off the dribble.  Lee is pretty good at getting to the basket when he wants to, and Ray is way too slow to keep up with him at this point in his career.  Lee should be able to abuse this matchup all night if he's smart about it.

Backup SF - Green vs Miller
Jeff Green has really made an effort to improve his defense lately, and he's atletic, long and strong enough to give Miller plenty of trouble on defense.  He needs to stay in the game mentally and make sure he closes out on Miller's three point shot, and if he does that he should win the machup.

Miller is not a great defender and Green has the physical advantage in every way - stength, height, length, speed.  If Green has one of his "on" games offensively Miller has no hope of defending him.

Backup PF - Sullinger vs Battier / Lewis
This could be an interesting matchup.  Battier is as good a defender as there is in the league and is good at frustrating opposing players.  He's not afraid to bang and take a beating.  Sullinger bangs with the best of them and does a great job of frustrting opponents simply by bruising them to a pulp.  Battier will make it hard for Sully to score, but our young rookie should be able to absolutely dominate Battier on the boards.

Rashard Lewis has no hope of getting rebounds over Sullinger, and Sully can post up at will against Rashard's weak frame.  The problem is that Lewis is fairly agile and will take a lot of outside shots, so Sully needs to challenge and not allow him to get open shots.  This could drag Sully outside of the paint and remove some of his potential rebounding benefits. 

Backup center - Collins vs Joel Anthony
Another nice matchup.  Collins does pretty much nothing outside of bang, hard foul, and play tough bruiser defense.  Anthony is more of the same.  Neither is any form of offense threat whatsoever. 

So there it is - we match up with these guys about as good as anybody in the league, and yet somehow I still feel like we're going to lose this.

Important mention - we need to make a serious effort to challenge Miami's shooters.  We've had questionable three-point defense up until recently, and if we let Miami get up open three's this game could be over very quickly.  If we play good team defense and stick to our assignments, it'll be a good game.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully needs to attack the post, MIA is a weak post team.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the celtics will have to attack the basket....for a change.

the celtics will have to stop playing starters regardless of their performance...for a change.

the celtics will have to be consistent on defense from start to finish...for a change.

which will let them win...for a change.  ;D

go celtics!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
afraid this will just be another check mark in the disaster column.

And to be honest...I don't even really care.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Ray still looks weird in a Heat jersey.

Who's this Ray person you're talking about?  ;)

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Coming off double ot, this could and probably will get ugly fast.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Coming off double ot, this could and probably will get ugly fast.

While I share similar sentiments, we do have a fairly unpredictable team.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Ray Allen signing autos pregame

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Excited about this game today. It'll be great to see where Boston stands against Miami.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I want to see Sully get some post ups today. I don't think he got any in the first meeting early in the season against Miami.

They need to test Sully in the paint against Miami's small ball lineup when/if they use it. To see if Sully can be effective enough to force them away from it. Or if he can't, and, if Boston needs to go small and matchup against their small-ball lineup in the playoffs.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I have a feeling we're going to win this today
DKC Suns

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ray Allen is going to go off today. Sorry to say it but I really do think he will.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bill Simmons booing Ray on live tv, love it.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ray Allen is going to go off today. Sorry to say it but I really do think he will.

I don't think so, he has to face Bradley today.