Author Topic: Bass not happy with his role  (Read 7241 times)

Bass not happy with his role
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A quiet but steady source of consistency for the Celtics last season, Bass played in 59 of 66 games and averaged 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds over 31.7 minutes, which paved the way for a new three-year, $19.3 million contract last summer. But through 43 games this season, Bass hasn't had nearly the same impact he did last year. His numbers have dipped to just 7.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and, perhaps most importantly, 26 minutes per game.

"I mean, at the end of the day, you want to do better than you did last year or the same," Bass said after Thursday's loss. "So, it's a little bit frustrating. But, it's a team game. You've just got to keep working and hope everything works itself out."

When asked about his production, Bass suggested fewer minutes have played the biggest role.

"I mean, if you consider my numbers down, you've got to look all around," Bass said. "So if you see my numbers down then you see my minutes. If my minutes are down, OK, that plays a role. Then you look at how many opportunities I get -- that plays a role. And you get what you get."

Asked if he's satisfied with the season he's having, Bass was very direct: "No, I'm not satisfied."

Bass' basic stats aren't the only ones that pale in comparison to last season. Per Basketball-Reference, Bass' usage rate of 15.6 this season is down considerably from 19.8 last season (and 19.2 for his career), which suggests he's not being utilized as much on the offensive end. His shooting numbers fall in line with that, as he's taking nearly four fewer shots per game this season, and he's even seen a decline in field goal attempts from some of his most common shooting areas on the floor. Per HoopData, Bass' attempts from 10-15 feet are down from 2.1 last season to 1.5 this season, and from 16-23 feet his attempts are down from 5.1 to 3.2.

His starting job seems secure for now, but that hasn't been true all season. Just last month the Celtics experimented with starting Jason Collins alongside Kevin Garnett, which relegated Bass back to the bench. But as that experiment flamed out, Bass was thrust back into the first five and he's started 33 of 43 games overall.

"Absolutely frustrating," Bass said of his shifting role. "But when you're a role player, that happens. So you've just got to make the best of your time on the court."

Asked what he would like to see different over the second half of the season, Bass offered: "Everything that comes with having better production. That's what I would like to see improve. I would like to see me being more efficient with the shots I do get, making them, try to be perfect out there. Minutes go up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701612/frustrated-bass-not-satisfied-with-play

Good luck getting those mins Bass, you are playing horrible this season. I'm watching the replay of last nights game, Doc was giving him the business for missed defensive rotations.

Hopefully we can package him with Terry or Green.

Re: Bass not happy with his role
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
And I'm not happy with the entire Celtics production either.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
There's no excuse for a lot of Bass' poor play, but I'll give him about 1% of a break because he probably expected to come into this season an play an even bigger role in things, only to have Doc decide otherwise.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
Probably doesn't help that he's getting shown up by a 20 year old rookie in Sullinger, who is already a better player.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
What Bass does well has very little value in the league.  Taking a lot of 18 footers is a sucker's play.  If you hit almost half of them, so what?  That's barely one point per shot. 

In today's NBA game, teams value guys who can get it done near the rim or behind the three point line.  A good NBA player will convert over 60% of his shots near the rim, or close to 40% from behind the arc, which is also 1.2 pps.   

If Bass wants more minutes, be needs to use that sculpted body for more than launching open 16 footers. Try boxing out all game, and maybe going to the rim like a maniac three or four times a game.     

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Huh?  He said he wasn't satisfied with the season he's having, not his role.

"But when you're a role player, that happens. So you've just got to make the best of your time on the court."

Of course he wants more shots, that's what makes him a good player.  Getting benched for Collins, one of the worst players in the league, probably destroyed his spirit.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Bass is playing like a lost puppy dog out there. Doesn't know when to be aggressive and when not. Clearly struggling with his role.

Bass is still a good role player. A well above average backup PF.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He's lucky he's a starter

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I can understand this.  His role was much larger last year, and I think Sully's emergence has caused him to sulk.  Nobody likes playing behind a rookie.

That being said, Bass should try to impose his will on the game in other ways.  Box out, go to the rim, dive on the floor, run the floor hard.  He's giving us next to nothing right now, and pretty soon he'll be gone.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Huh?  He said he wasn't satisfied with the season he's having, not his role.

"But when you're a role player, that happens. So you've just got to make the best of your time on the court."

Of course he wants more shots, that's what makes him a good player.  Getting benched for Collins, one of the worst players in the league, probably destroyed his spirit.
nah it's just the easy cop out when u aren't playing well. he's had PLENTY of opportunitys to take shots he doesn't has no confidence.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Contract year Bass?! He is starting!!!! Play like you're legit!!! He needs to look in the mirror. He disgusts me right now.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Can we have this Bass back please? :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiheJR9u8fs

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
what are people talking about?  this is an article about how Bass is not happy with his play this year.  part of that is that he's getting used less, and part of it is him realizing that he hasn't been as effective.

Bass is a hustler.  Sully clearly has the upside, rebounds better and will be a better player, but Bass deserves minutes at least as a backup.  Now if we can trade him for an upgrade, especially a big, I'm for it, but the Celtics have much bigger problems right now than Brandon Bass.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Cry baby.  Excuses excuses excuses.  Shut up, get out there and play.  Your minutes was reduced because you weren't getting it done to begin with.  You play better and you'll get minutes.  You should be lucky you're even starting.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Like mgent and JD, I don't get the title of the thread.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague