Author Topic: Bass not happy with his role  (Read 7229 times)

Re: Bass not happy with his role
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I agree with Bass to an extent.  He's obviously confused to what his role is.  He played excellently in his role last season because it was a role he was very comfortable with.  The stats support this, but if you watch the games, you see that he doesn't get the same consistent amount of opportunities for that mid range jumper that he used to get last season.

I imagine the way he feels is:  "I don't get it.  We were very successful down the stretch last year.  We're supposed to have an improved roster this year.  We brought in all these new guys this year who are eating into the minutes of myself and some of the other guys who were here playing well last year.  Doc is always messing around with our minutes "trying to find the right lineups".  Why can't we just forget these new guys and go back to what we did  THAT WORKED last year?  It sure as heck was better than what we're doing now."

I can understand that.  He obviously needs to be a professional and just do whats best for the team, but I can still understand the confusion and frustration.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I agree with Bass to an extent.  He's obviously confused to what his role is.  He played excellently in his role last season because it was a role he was very comfortable with.  The stats support this, but if you watch the games, you see that he doesn't get the same consistent amount of opportunities for that mid range jumper that he used to get last season.

I imagine the way he feels is:  "I don't get it.  We were very successful down the stretch last year.  We're supposed to have an improved roster this year.  We brought in all these new guys this year who are eating into the minutes of myself and some of the other guys who were here playing well last year.  Doc is always messing around with our minutes "trying to find the right lineups".  Why can't we just forget these new guys and go back to what we did  THAT WORKED last year?  It sure as heck was better than what we're doing now."

I can understand that.  He obviously needs to be a professional and just do whats best for the team, but I can still understand the confusion and frustration.

I think the reason Bass isn't getting many open jumpers from 15 ft is because we have no shooting in the starting lineup with Ray gone. This has affected PP a great deal because now teams can cheat off our sg's and clog up the lane. I think the same is true for Bass, without a 3pt shooter out there it's harder for Bass to get open as easily as last year .

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
word to the wise: stop losing your guy on pick and roll defense for dunks, and your minutes will go up.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 10:32:33 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
With the Body Bass has, its no reason for him not to rebound like Humphries or Evans do in Brooklyn. If he does that from here on out he will get paid & we will win majority of our games. Its called finding the inner-animal, so go locate it then unleash it on your opponents not newspapers!

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I swear this reminds me so much of another NBA player. I can't put a name to it.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I remember. This is exactly what Jermaine O'Neal said after we didn't resign him. He was terrible though. Bass, please don't be a Jermaine O'Neal.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bass is playing like a lost puppy dog out there. Doesn't know when to be aggressive and when not. Clearly struggling with his role.

Bass is still a good role player. A well above average backup PF.

Not the way he's playing this season he's not...

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:24 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100

I think the reason Bass isn't getting many open jumpers from 15 ft is because we have no shooting in the starting lineup with Ray gone. This has affected PP a great deal because now teams can cheat off our sg's and clog up the lane. I think the same is true for Bass, without a 3pt shooter out there it's harder for Bass to get open as easily as last year .
Disagree about this big-time. Our offense took off last year when we had Rondo, Avery, PP, Bass, and KG. In other words...the exact same lineup. Bass isn't shooting the ball as well as he normally has been, and has been more prone to turnovers and mental mistakes on defense than last year...by a bit. He's right that he's getting fewer minutes and fewer touches, but that's on him. Honestly, given his play so far, he doesn't deserve more minutes, and I'd be hesitant to give him the ball on offense because he's fairly likely to mess things up. Now, if he plays like last year's Bass (aka no-pass Bass who hits his jumpers and plays solid team defense), things will be much better. But that's on him.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm thinking the reason might have something to do with him looking like he wasn't expecting the pass almost every time the ball comes to him.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I read this as him not stisfied with how he's playing, not his role.

I still expect a little more production from him though. Granted he's not getting the shots he normally gets, but he still needs to do some work on other things. He can bruise his way for rebounds, hustle and play tight defense. Shots should be the last thing he must worry about.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 01:44:33 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm usually in the "support Bass" camp and think he's undervalued around here, but he really needs to shut up.  You aren't given minutes in the NBA.  You earn them.  It's his fault his shot isn't falling so naturally instead of wasting possessions we go with better options.  It's equally his fault he hasn't earned playing time because he is a mediocre rebounder and has regressed on defense.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »

Offline caffeinated

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 15

I'm thinking the reason might have something to do with him looking like he wasn't expecting the pass almost every time the ball comes to him.

I notice that too, and it happens way too often.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bass struggles are squarely on him. And this talk about his role is all nonsense. He started on the bench last year, and he thrived in that role. He only became a starter when we had no other option to go to... and last year, he played better off the bench.

So this whole excuse about Bass not being comfortable in his role, etc., etc. is pure crap. It's the role he's been playing for his whole career.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bass is a fool. You earn minutes. Most average pfs can get 14 and 6 if they play 36 minutes. Heck, you can probably get the rebounds being in the pf postion on missed free throws.

The problem with Bass is that he can't score in the post. If I was building an NBA team, I'd never have a pf who had zero low post ability.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Bazz  not happy ....  I,m. Not  crazy about his play either