Author Topic: Wiretap Speculation:3 way:PP to Grizz,Pau to Cs, Gay to Fakers  (Read 13652 times)

Re: Wiretap Speculation:3 way:PP to Grizz,Pau to Cs, Gay to Fakers
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I have to admit, the idea of Gasol together with KG is intriguing. I'm on the side of those who believe Pau has been misused and has a lot left in the tank.  Pierce looks cooked, and letting Green start along with Pau and KG up front together with Rondo and Bradley would be great imo.

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lakers trying to add a young star in Rudy Gay to go along with Dwight Howard.

Building the foundation for the next 5-8 years of title-contention post Kobe Bryant.

Apart from the fact that Gay ain't no star.

Yeah right now if you were rank them it would go:

#1 - (Healthy) Pau
#2 - Pierce
#3 - Gay

I would rate Pau Gasol as the best player in the deal. Rudy Gay as the 2nd best but the most valuable overall due to his youth.

I see Pierce as the least valuable. Oldest and worst.

Where does Z-Bo rank in there?
Hmm ... I suppose Zach Randolph would be above Pierce and Gay. I would have him behind Pau although I imagine many would disagree with that.

I would still rate Rudy as the most valuable piece overall due to his youth.

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pau + KG + Green + Bradley + Rondo

Worst offensive spacing in the NBA?  We're already 27th in the NBA in 3PT shooting...  this would make us the worst in the league by a far margin, I bet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Worst offensive spacing in the NBA?  We're already 27th in the NBA in 3PT shooting...  this would make us the worst in the league by a far margin, I bet.

I'm not so sure about that. Green and Bradley are decent 3 pt shooters, Rondo is a much better 3pt shooter than the past, and KG and Pau are both excellent jump shooters themselves. We would also have 3 outstanding passers at their positions in that lineup with Rondo, KG, and Pau.

Look at it this way, Pau is a better outside shooter than Bass, who he would be replacing, and Green is a bit worse than Pierce, but at this stage in their careers not that much worse a 3 pt shooter.

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm not so sure about that. Green and Bradley are decent 3 pt shooters, Rondo is a much better 3pt shooter than the past, and KG and Pau are both excellent jump shooters themselves. We would also have 3 outstanding passers at their positions in that lineup with Rondo, KG, and Pau.

Look at it this way, Pau is a better outside shooter than Bass, who he would be replacing, and Green is a bit worse than Pierce, but at this stage in their careers not that much worse a 3 pt shooter.

Green makes about one three-pointer every 1.5 games.  He's shooting 32.9%, which is not particularly good, and significantly worse than Pierce (even with his slump). Bradley makes about one per game, and shoots 33%.  Again, not good.

Rondo hits about one three every three games, and shoots a very poor 24%. 

The spacing -- something we already struggle with -- would be terrible.  I'm willing to be convinced, though; what starting lineup features less outside shooting?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I think the spacing will be fine but I do agree there is a major lack of three point shooting there. It would make somebody like a Jared Dudley, JJ Redick or Kyle Korver more necessary.

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

If you kept Lee and Terry that's where your spacing would come in.  If they even go back to hitting their normal % from three

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline BenHenry

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Anybody in?

Nope.

Adding Pau but subtracting Pierce doesn't make us a contender.

TOTALLY disagree. Pierce looks awful. Gasol and KG down low would be deadly together. I would've made this trade yesterday and twice the day before.

THIS^

Have you guys watched Pau play recently?  He's played poorly his last two trips to the playoffs, and has been bad this year. 

Our biggest issue right now is with offense, and Pau isn't going to elevate us in that regard.

Pau has indeed struggled this year, but I think at least a large part of that has to do with D'Antoni's system having no place for Pau (since Dwight's there), and D'Antoni misusing him whenever he does see the floor—trying to force him to be a three-point shooter, which negates Pau's great post game.

What about the playoffs the last two seasons, when he's averaged around 12 points and shot 42%? 

I just don't see the evidence that Pau is going to be able to carry a team offensively.  A lineup of Pau/KG/Green/Bradley/Rondo is very poor offensively, even worse than our current team.  Plus, our bench scoring would be worse without Green's sporadic contributions.

Cmon guys Pau Gasol is clearly on the downside of his late career and on a bad max contract, 22 million? are you serious? Like Roy said he's been a noshow in the playoffs the past 2 years shooting 42% for a center! And now his FGs are still in the low 40s. Gasol is turning 33 this year and he's been on a steady decline every year for the past 5 years so this i not a move for the future, he's done.

Are you guys really that convinced that Gasol will magically revert his aging process and play like he was 27-28? Haven't we had enough of signing old guys like Terry? If we're actually trading our Captain at least ask for a future star in return.

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The spacing -- something we already struggle with -- would be terrible.  I'm willing to be convinced, though; what starting lineup features less outside shooting?
Overall jump-shooting or three point shooting?

If strictly three point shooting, not many starting lineups, if any at all, have worse three point shooting than that unit.

If overall jump-shooting, I think Boston would rate fairly mediocre (middle of the pack to slightly below average, say mid to high teens) largely due to the strength of their big man shooters (who would rank near the top of the league) pulling the starting unit up the rankings.

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
rather go forward with Rudy gay  then a washed up pau gasol for Paul pierce so why not deal with Memphis without the Lakers... pau and kg hate each other...cute on paper but they wouldn't work

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Overall jump-shooting or three point shooting?

If strictly three point shooting, not many starting lineups if any have worse shooting than that unit. If overall jump-shooting, I think Boston would rate fairly mediocre largely due to the strength of their big man shooters pulling them up the rankings.

Three point shooting.  I've got to think we'd be by far the worst in the NBA.

Right now, we've made 234 3-pointers on the season.  Paul Pierce accounts for 77 of those, essentially one-third of our total. 

I think three point shooting is essential.  Not only does it improve an offense's efficiency, but the floor-stretching really is important for opening up offense inside.  Pau's going to have a much harder time operating in the post if there aren't any reliable 3PT shooters to kick out to.

If we had a dynamic offensive scorer -- say, Kyrie Irving -- then I could justify Pau over Pierce.  Without that top scoring threat, though, and surrounded by poor shooters, our team would struggle as much or more than it does now.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I really like Jeff Green in an offense built around Pau Gasol and Kevin Garnett.

I think Jeff Green would fit in really well in a power offense like that. An offense that is run through the post and revolves largely around post play. With Jeff Green's post play and passing abilities, I think he'd function very well there. In terms of Garnett and Pau, the combination of both the post threat + jump-shooting capabilities would be very good for Green.

Add in the transition opportunities with Rondo and Bradley or Lee and it's hard to think of a more beneficial situation for Jeff Green offensively as a starting small forward on a playoff team.

It's about as good as you can get it for J.Green.

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »

Offline Celticfankb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't get posters wanting Gasol. This team really needs a young wing player, that can create their own shot. We have trouble scoring! Gasol is not a dominate post player, therefore it wouldn't make sense to trade Pierce for him. If you trade Pierce, we need to replace him with similar talent level. 

My questions to those who want Gasol is, when we need a basket in the 4th who will we go to? If Pierce goes, nobody on this team can create their own shot!!! Nobody!!!!

Not even Rondo! If he could he would. You saw last night when he tried? Disater! He's a great player but thats not his game.

This team needs a major overhaul. No band aids
KB

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I do not want to trade pierce for gasol.   

Surprized danny is trying to get howard instead if hes going that way

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
IF we are sending PP to the Griz, why wouldn't we just take Gay instead of playing with the Fakers?

Move Green and some pieces for some thing else.

Pau is a nice player, but in a couple years we will be right back were we are now. Or worse, not even improve with that move...