Author Topic: Odds Pierce takes a tiny contract?  (Read 889 times)

Odds Pierce takes a tiny contract?
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
What are the odds that the Captain would resign with us for, say, $3mil a year? I know it sounds crazy, but here's what it could mean:

1. Pierce gets to retire a Celtic, and he'd be considered one of the best all-time to wear green
2. We have TONS more salary flexibility, so we could sign a big name that could lead us to a title, PP's second

Maybe I'm just being overly sentimental and/or naive, but if I had had an NBA career and spent it all with one team, a team that is close to contending for a championship (and I was no longer playing at my once-great level), I'd absolutely take a big pay cut if it meant we could win before I retired.

Re: Odds Pierce takes a tiny contract?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We wouldn't have any cap room, even if Pierce came back for $3 million (plus the $5 million he'd be owed if waived.)  It could potentially increase our flexibility a small amount, but probably not to make a major difference.

I can't see this happening.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What are the odds that the Captain would resign with us for, say, $3mil a year? I know it sounds crazy, but here's what it could mean:

1. Pierce gets to retire a Celtic, and he'd be considered one of the best all-time to wear green
2. We have TONS more salary flexibility, so we could sign a big name that could lead us to a title, PP's second

Maybe I'm just being overly sentimental and/or naive, but if I had had an NBA career and spent it all with one team, a team that is close to contending for a championship (and I was no longer playing at my once-great level), I'd absolutely take a big pay cut if it meant we could win before I retired.

Big contract, small contract...won't affect our salary cap situation as far of money available to offer other free-agents.

The only thing it'll affect is availability of the MLE, which I think we could have next year regardless.

So sorry, this is simply not how the NBA Cap works.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He would do it for sure, but will he retire first?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why do you think he'd do it for sure?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Why do you think he'd do it for sure?

If he doesn't retire first, he won't be able to command much money with the way he's playing and he won't go to another team for the money, with this career.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"