Author Topic: We can fix this (without trades). Here's how:  (Read 3139 times)

Re: We can fix this (without trades). Here's how:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I rather Starters:

C = Melo
PF = Garnett
SF = Green
SG = Lee
PG = Rondo

2nd Unit:

C = Sullinger
PF = Bass
SF = Pierce
SG = Terry
PG = Bradley

I would rather package a trade involving Barbosa & Wilcox for a Back-up Point Guard or Center.

I will also then sign Micah Downs, Dujuan Summers, Chris Wright to fill the bench. All 3 guys have played well & deserve a call up.

Our problem with this team is the direct result of what happened in the preseason. Our best players were Jeff Green & Dionte Christmas. Not sure why XMas wasn't kept nor am I sure why Micah wasn't kept & why Doc didn't give more lengthy opportunities to Kris Joseph. At the end of it all its Doc's fault. He was giving players he agreed upon & hasn't delivered with what he was given.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Pierce can't even guard opposing 3's, so now he should chase their 2's? Have you watched any games this season, especially over the past month? My 5 would be RR,Lee,Green,Sully and KG. Bring up Melo and play wilcox at the backup 4 with PP,Terry and Bradley @ the 1.

First, I've watched every game this season.  Have you seen how broken our offense is?  We've been pretty much playing 3 on 5 and getting nothing from both the 4 and 2 spots.  Your plan has us benching Pierce and playing Bradley at the 1 (which he hasn't shown he can do).

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Let me just preface this by saying that my plan doesn't work unless Doc is willing to make some changes.

Starters

C - Garnett
PF - Sully
SF - Green
SG - Pierce
PG - Rondo

Bench -

C - Melo
PF - Downs
SF - Lee
SG - Bradley
PG - Barbosa

Out of rotation:
Bass, Terry, Wilcox, Collins

Okay, here's why it works:

1. I'm a big believer in starting your five best players.  With KG, Sully, Green, Pierce, and Rondo, that gets accomplished.  This lineup takes a ton of pressure off of Pierce, as both Green and Sully can score in the post and on the perimeter (if plays are run for them).

2. I understand that I'm killing both Bass' and Terry's trade value by removing them from the rotay, but NBA GM's know what they are, so it shouldn't matter that much.

3. The bench I proposed could absolutely run teams off the floor, lock them up on D, and offer perimeter shooting.  I know some may call me crazy for wanting to sign Micah Downs, but he's a 6'9 wing who can slash, defend, shoot, is a very good rebounder, and is someone who could bring crazy energy off the bench.  Melo offers shot-blocking, rebounding, energy, and is someone who can run the floor with this unit.

Thoughts?

I don't think our situation can get much worse than it is, so I'd try it.

Things I love...

1.Sully starting
2.No more Bass
3.Melo getting minutes
4.No more Collins

The only thing that I kind of cringe at is Bradley to the second unit. I think it'd hurt his trade value and I don't know how he'd do with out Rondo.

But like I said, at this point, why not?

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Pierce can't even guard opposing 3's, so now he should chase their 2's? Have you watched any games this season, especially over the past month?
Yeah, I have given up on idea of Pierce defending SGs on a regular basis too.

Pierce has simply been too vacant defensively too frequently this season to place him on players who have more quickness, dribbling capacity and are higher level shooters than the opponents he is currently tasked with defending at SF.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I rather Starters:

C = Melo
PF = Garnett
SF = Green
SG = Lee
PG = Rondo

2nd Unit:

C = Sullinger
PF = Bass
SF = Pierce
SG = Terry
PG = Bradley

I would rather package a trade involving Barbosa & Wilcox for a Back-up Point Guard or Center.

I will also then sign Micah Downs, Dujuan Summers, Chris Wright to fill the bench. All 3 guys have played well & deserve a call up.

Our problem with this team is the direct result of what happened in the preseason. Our best players were Jeff Green & Dionte Christmas. Not sure why XMas wasn't kept nor am I sure why Micah wasn't kept & why Doc didn't give more lengthy opportunities to Kris Joseph. At the end of it all its Doc's fault. He was giving players he agreed upon & hasn't delivered with what he was given.

Josh Smith can do whatever he wants on Sully, Sully will get murdered at the 5.. And playing him with Bass? That lineup is a joke. And no freaking way is Melo our starting center. Sorry, but it seems you don't really know what you're talking about.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

Offline Bastone

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Some observations:

- Pierce needs a vacation in the worst way! I also believe he knows of some deals that Ainge has on the table involving him. When he return from his break, if he hasn't already been traded, he needs to become our key 6th player and allow Green to start and flourish. This move will make the Celtics a faster and more athletic team and it would allow Pierce to stay fresh and become our gunner off the bench, like Jamal Crawford. This move also allows us keep Pierce fresh for end of games and it allows Green to defend opposing team's athletic small forwards.

- Should keeping Pierce not be in the cards and we are not blowing up the team, then a swap for Pau Gasol provides the Celtics with a few avantages like a big who is a premier low post scorer and a great rebounder - two of the team's primary weakneses. On this team he would get 20 shots up and probably average 23 pts and 11 boards.

- Avery Bradley, unfortunately should be resting his ribs right now and not be playing. A poor record makes you do desperate things like this and not rest our veterans.

- Courtney Lee in the last few weeks has been playing so well and a complete game! His stock value must have gone up considerably and he may become an important piece in obtaining Reddick, if you believe the rumours.

- If management decides to blow it up, don't be surprised to not only see Pierce go but also Rondo. Rajon has proven this season in my eyes that he is a very good player, however, his play doesn't transcend the team and therefore he is unable to lift the team by himself to success and a winning record. Rondo is like a good lubricant - he makes all the moving parts smoother and more efficient. He is unfortunately not the engine we need hoped he would become with the exception for a handful of games.

- One thing is for sure, never a boring moment with this team.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I'm just wondering what this "fixes." Does it solidify their spot as the 8th seed in the east, or will it move them up to 7th?

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm just wondering what this "fixes." Does it solidify their spot as the 8th seed in the east, or will it move them up to 7th?

I think it puts us behind Toronto.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think it puts us behind Toronto.

It fixes our salary cap issues, PP and KG will walk away at the end of the season after watching that bench get killed every game.