Author Topic: We can fix this (without trades). Here's how:  (Read 3137 times)

We can fix this (without trades). Here's how:
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Let me just preface this by saying that my plan doesn't work unless Doc is willing to make some changes.

Starters

C - Garnett
PF - Sully
SF - Green
SG - Pierce
PG - Rondo

Bench -

C - Melo
PF - Downs
SF - Lee
SG - Bradley
PG - Barbosa

Out of rotation:
Bass, Terry, Wilcox, Collins

Okay, here's why it works:

1. I'm a big believer in starting your five best players.  With KG, Sully, Green, Pierce, and Rondo, that gets accomplished.  This lineup takes a ton of pressure off of Pierce, as both Green and Sully can score in the post and on the perimeter (if plays are run for them).

2. I understand that I'm killing both Bass' and Terry's trade value by removing them from the rotay, but NBA GM's know what they are, so it shouldn't matter that much.

3. The bench I proposed could absolutely run teams off the floor, lock them up on D, and offer perimeter shooting.  I know some may call me crazy for wanting to sign Micah Downs, but he's a 6'9 wing who can slash, defend, shoot, is a very good rebounder, and is someone who could bring crazy energy off the bench.  Melo offers shot-blocking, rebounding, energy, and is someone who can run the floor with this unit.

Thoughts?

Re: We can fix this (without trades). Here's how:
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why not trade Terry and Bass?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
This is bad. Do you pay attention to stats? Ha!

This fixes nothing.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
Why not trade Terry and Bass?

I want to, but for now I want them out of the rotation.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday

This fixes nothing.

Of course I pay attention to stats. I understand that the 2nd unit's rebounding is weakened, but that unit can score, run, and defend.  Everyone of our proposed starters can  score, taking the burden off of Pierce.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't want to take Bradley out of the starting lineup so quickly. I want to give him an extended run here to get healthy and show what can really do.

When that is clear, that will be the time for decisions.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

This fixes nothing.

Of course I pay attention to stats. I understand that the 2nd unit's rebounding is weakened, but that unit can score, run, and defend.  Everyone of our proposed starters can  score, taking the burden off of Pierce.

Barbosa as back up kills offense
JG and PP can't play together, at least in this system. EVERYTHING no matter your line up defers to Pierce. Either PP sits, or JG continues to come off the bench.

Who is Melo? Who is Downs? 2nd String players? yea right

Lee and Bradley should really only swap for each other. Though I haven't seen what they do together. Lee at 3 worries me. You have almost 0 threats off the bench.

Jet needs to come off for PG or SG. Significantly better ball handler than Barbosa and can actually create. Just doesn't prefer to.

Wilcox and Rondo play well together. Wilcox FG% was in the 70s wasn't it? What?

I don't get this.
Maybe you should explain your systematic changes.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
I don't want to take Bradley out of the starting lineup so quickly. I want to give him an extended run here to get healthy and show what can really do.

When that is clear, that will be the time for decisions.

I don't either, but Bradley is kind of one-dimensional with the 1st unit.  Since the 1st unit rarely runs, Bradley is relegated to spotting up for a corner three or the occasional backdoor cut.  On the 2nd unit, he could run with Barbosa (who pushes it every chance he gets) and could really get a ton of opportunities in transition.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm sorry, Micah Downs?

You want Micah Downs backing up  the 4?

200 lbs Micah Downs??

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday

This fixes nothing.

JG and PP can't play together, at least in this system. EVERYTHING no matter your line up defers to Pierce. Either PP sits, or JG continues to come off the bench.

Lee and Bradley should really only swap for each other. Though I haven't seen what they do together. Lee at 3 worries me. You have almost 0 threats off the bench.

Jet needs to come off for PG or SG. Significantly better ball handler than Barbosa and can actually create. Just doesn't prefer to.

I don't get this.

Barbosa as a back-up kills offense?  He could basically be the 2nd unit offense by himself. Furthermore, he pushes the ball at every single opportunity.....Jason Terry does not.  Bradley and Lee on the wings with Barbosa pushing it could be lethal. If you don't know who Melo and Downs are, then look them up.  Melo is just about ready to start getting 2nd unit minutes with us -- I mean he can't be worse than Collins' corpse.  Finally, Rondo to Wilcox is a great combo, but Wilcox cannot stay on the floor (in case you haven't noticed).  Lee at the 3 is a bit shaky, but Doc, loves his small ball and has used him there.  With the exception of Melo, Lee, Bradley, Barbosa, and Downs can all score.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
I'm sorry, Micah Downs?

You want Micah Downs backing up  the 4?

200 lbs Micah Downs??

In a small-ball lineup (like Doc loves), Downs could play the 4.  He's 6'9 and is an excellent rebounder for a 2/3.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

This fixes nothing.

I don't get this.

Barbosa as a back-up kills offense?  He could basically be the 2nd unit offense by himself. Furthermore, he pushes the ball at every single opportunity.....Jason Terry does not.  Bradley and Lee on the wings with Barbosa pushing it could be lethal. If you don't know who Melo and Downs are, then look them up.  Melo is just about ready to start getting 2nd unit minutes with us -- I mean he can't be worse than Collins' corpse.  Finally, Rondo to Wilcox is a great combo, but Wilcox cannot stay on the floor (in case you haven't noticed).  Lee at the 3 is a bit shaky, but Doc, loves his small ball and has used him there.  With the exception of Melo, Lee, Bradley, Barbosa, and Downs can all score.

yea...that's my point about Barbosa. And when he flips up a shot and it doesn't go in and we run back on defense cuz we don't value you 2nd chance points...then what? Barbosa is a scorer. Not a ball handler.

these are poor ideas. small ball rarely works the way Doc uses it.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday

This fixes nothing.

I don't get this.

yea...that's my point about Barbosa. And when he flips up a shot and it doesn't go in and we run back on defense cuz we don't value you 2nd chance points...then what? Barbosa is a scorer. Not a ball handler.

these are poor ideas. small ball rarely works the way Doc uses it.

Two things: 1. Terry isn't an initiator of offense, rarely runs, and cannot get in the lane to break down the D.

2. Barbosa runs every chance he gets and can get into the lane at will (with his speed).  Does he always take the best shots once he's in there?  Maybe not.  However, he can at least draw the defense and open up opportunities for others.

What are some of your ideas to fix this team -- I would love to hear them.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Pierce can't even guard opposing 3's, so now he should chase their 2's? Have you watched any games this season, especially over the past month? My 5 would be RR,Lee,Green,Sully and KG. Bring up Melo and play wilcox at the backup 4 with PP,Terry and Bradley @ the 1.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I do like the idea of benching Terry and giving Barbosa his minutes.

Terry hasn't contributed enough. It's worthwhile seeing if Barbosa can offer more. Both have been high level backup guards in the past. Terry slightly better but he hasn't done enough to guarantee himself minutes when competing with a player as talented as Barbosa for court time.

Barbosa deserves a shot to see if he can contribute more than Terry can. A nice 10-15 game run as backup PG/SG. Terry shouldn't play during that time.