Author Topic: Bench Bass  (Read 2733 times)

Bench Bass
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Start Green at the 4. Bass is struggling and doesn't seem to have any chemistry with the 1st unit anymore.

I know it sucks playing Jeff at the 4, but I think it will help take the pressure off Pierce.

If we do make this move and start Jeff at the 4 that does hurt our bench a little bit, but then again maybe not. It may force Doc to use Sully as a 1st option. I don't know how I feel about Sully as a 1st option, he seems to be able to score down low, but I feel like its mainly out of surprise and not by design.

Anyway whatever, start Jeff at the 4, he's basically played the 4 for most of his career, I don't see how worse it can get for this team.

Re: Bench Bass
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why not start Sully at the 4?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
why not start Sully at the 4?

I agree.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I had first thought about starting Sully, but then I thought about what happens when KG sits?

So I think Sully backing up KG is a better situation for the team as a whole.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Green is not a 4, but if he can  play more minutes at it... I'll take it. At least he plays better D than Sully!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Starting Green at the 4 forces us to go small a lot more.  We obviously start the game small, but then when Pierce rests, we need to insert Courtney Lee in at small forward.

I'd start Sully.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Starting Green at the 4 forces us to go small a lot more.  We obviously start the game small, but then when Pierce rests, we need to insert Courtney Lee in at small forward.

I'd start Sully.

I agree. I would start Sullinger and then give more playing time to both Green and Lee off the bench while leaving Bass on the pine completely.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff was a solid 4 in his third year at OKC, he can shoulder the load
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'd start Sully.

The very nature that Bass is on our roster and Wilcox is unhealthy prevents us from using some out of the box units because our rotations after the starting unit won't make much sense.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Eh...starting Green messes with the bench's chemistry they've created over the last five/six weeks, and right now they are the only reason we are competitive most games. I'd only put Green in the starting five if he was taking Pierce's spot and Sullinger replaced Bass. It's not the biggest sample size, but our most productive units this season all include some combination of KG/Green/Sullinger with Rondo or Terry running the point:

Garnett | Green | Sullinger | Lee | Terry/Rondo 122min +40.4
Garnett | Green | Sullinger 243min +19.0

Of course, these units are most likely facing the opponents bench, so the numbers don't tell the whole story, but it's clear that they work well together. A line up of KG/Sully/Green/Bradley/Rondo could be effective...the 2nd unit would be worse off though, and I'm not sure benching your best scorer is the smartest idea.

But something clearly has to be done, because whatever they're doing now isn't working, particularly with the starters. It's crazy to compare their production from last season to now; what a difference a year makes...

2011-12: Bass | Bradley | Garnett | Pierce | Rondo 218min +19.4
2012-13: Bass | Bradley | Garnett | Pierce | Rondo 111min -6.5

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
All you guys saying "start Sully" do realize he'd foul out in the first quarter right?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
People playing well need to be getting playing time. Even if those people aren't paul piece or brandon bass.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
People playing well need to be getting playing time. Even if those people aren't paul pierce or brandon bass.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Benching Bass won't help.  Who starts, Sully?

Sully needs to come off the bench so that he isn't exposed for the rookie he is.  He still fouls way too much.  Playing a reserve role allows him to come in and get into a groove against other bench players.

Besides, if we bench Bass and start Sully, who backs up Sully?  As terribly as Bass has been playing, we really don't have any other viable options.

Bass needs to be traded, unfortunately I doubt anybody wants him right now.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Brandon Bass isn't intelligent, sure he can hit open mid range shots but he doesn't make any plays for himself or for his teammates. It's like he needs to be talked through everything on the offensive end. Not to mention the fact that whenever he crashes the boards he just punches the ball up in the air or out of bounds.