Author Topic: Timberwolves are white  (Read 5488 times)

Re: Timberwolves are white
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
“‘How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?’ asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul’s African American leadership council. ‘I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance.’”

“That strategy, Terrell and others in the black community believe, is to sell tickets to the Wolves’ fan base, which is overwhelmingly white.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/01/conspiracy-theory-the-minnesota-timberwolves-are-racist/

Pretty good read with dialog between wilbon and kornheiser. I don't think the intent is racist but rather it's a financially driven decision to target a certain audience.

I guess it could be considered racist but it doesn't seem the timberwolves hate black people. I think they believe more whit players will be more Attractive to their white fans. So ultimately it isn't about black and white as much as it is green.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No racism or anything here.

I noticed that our Celtics team is all-black, after Darko left, which isn't too rare seeing as the league is mostly black, since black people are better at basketball than whites, overall.

All teams have black players.

But, the Timberwolves..... They seem too white to not be manufactured.
Rubio.
Shved.
Kirilenko.
Love.
Ridnour.
Barea.
Amundson.
Budinger.
Steimsma.
Pekovic.

Plus a white coach, a desire to trade their black player, Derrick Williams for.... A white guy, Pau Gasol. No team desires and possesses as many whites as these Wolves.

I don't know if I'm manufacturing this out of nothing, but it seems a little absurd. Humph. Weird.

Maybe they're too european.

By the way, how much money did they offer to Batum last summer?

Yes, but the offer they made to Batum wasn't real, because if he had accepted it they would have pulled it back because while he is from another country, he also is not white.

If that's the case we'll hear about it from their owner, who will be left wondering why the nba took away another pile of draft picks from them...

I thought my italics would clearly indicate my thick sarcasm  ;D

I thought the content of my post would indicate mine.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think they should be allowed to have whichever players they want, right?

But then, if the Houston Rockets just signed 15 Chinese guys to play on their roster, wouldn't that go a little nuts? Even though they'd lose quite a bit. >_>
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
They really white. The midwest is white. Minneapolis is whiter than a lot of cities with NBA franchises. Plus Lots of white NBA players come from midwest like Stiemsma. Maybe this increases ratings/sells tickets. I guess that's racist. but its a business decision.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
They really white. The midwest is white. Minneapolis is whiter than a lot of cities with NBA franchises. Plus Lots of white NBA players come from midwest like Stiemsma. Maybe this increases ratings/sells tickets. I guess that's racist. but its a business decision.

Boston is 53.9% white and I don't see half the Celtics' roster as white (I'm not white even lol)... I wonder where this fine line is drawn.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 11:31:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
“‘How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?’ asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul’s African American leadership council. ‘I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance.’”

“That strategy, Terrell and others in the black community believe, is to sell tickets to the Wolves’ fan base, which is overwhelmingly white.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/01/conspiracy-theory-the-minnesota-timberwolves-are-racist/

Pretty good read with dialog between wilbon and kornheiser. I don't think the intent is racist but rather it's a financially driven decision to target a certain audience.

I guess it could be considered racist but it doesn't seem the timberwolves hate black people. I think they believe more whit players will be more Attractive to their white fans. So ultimately it isn't about black and white as much as it is green.
Everything you posted is still racism.  Hiring someone based on the color of their skin is technically racism regardless of whether or not the intentions are financial or not.  I just think we as a civilization need to be accepting of racism in certain forms instead of trying to pretend its not there.

I've gotta say Tyrone Terrell's comment is pretty obnoxious.  "Nothing happens by happenstance?"  I mean that's just blatantly false.  Otherwise what I've learned and am now teaching in statistics class is wrong.  Whether this is happenstance or not is up for debate, but happenstance happens.

But then, if the Houston Rockets just signed 15 Chinese guys to play on their roster, wouldn't that go a little nuts? Even though they'd lose quite a bit. >_>
Do you think that all employers should be able to hire anyone they want based on the employer's preference of skin color?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Everything you posted is still racism.  Hiring someone based on the color of their skin is technically racism regardless of whether or not the intentions are financial or not.  I just think we as a civilization need to be accepting of racism in certain forms instead of trying to pretend its not there.

I've gotta say Tyrone Terrell's comment is pretty obnoxious.  "Nothing happens by happenstance?"  I mean that's just blatantly false.  Otherwise what I've learned and am now teaching in statistics class is wrong.  Whether this is happenstance or not is up for debate, but happenstance happens.

Do you think that all employers should be able to hire anyone they want based on the employer's preference of skin color?

Is there any way you can prove that he signed those players only because they're white? I think you can. I cannot think of a way, however. :\ I'm not against you, bro.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Is there any way you can prove that he signed those players only because they're white? I think you can. I cannot think of a way, however. :\ I'm not against you, bro.

Not against you either celticconcourse, just playin a lil devil's advocate here.  TP for lots of good comments and discussion i've seen from you in the forums tonight
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur