Author Topic: Robert Parish yearns for NBA coaching job; says Bird, McHale won't help him (merged)  (Read 12075 times)

Re: Robert Parish: Larry Bird, Kevin McHale Won’t Return My Calls
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
eh, not convinced. 

if it were true, it wouldn't surprise me -- look how DJ could never get that final break to be head coach.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
eh, not convinced. 

if it were true, it wouldn't surprise me -- look how DJ could never get that final break to be head coach.

He was a head coach of a D-League team, wasn't he? For him it was a matter of time, just so happened he didn't have much left.

Parish...I dunno what you can say about him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I need money too. I should totally just get an NBA coaching job. Will someone help me?

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Parish long had a reputation for smoking weed daily. Could have something to do with the lack of interest from piers to pull the trigger.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This makes me sad, I think he could teach some young players a thing or two about the game. The Celtics should hire him as a consultant to personally coach Fab.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:21 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I wish he'd come here and coach Melo.  That'd be pretty awesome.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Parish long had a reputation for smoking weed daily. Could have something to do with the lack of interest from piers to pull the trigger.

This is probably part of it, but I doubt it comes from the coaches themselves.  More of an ownership issue.

When you're a player with significant talent, ownership will look the other way (I'd wager half the players in the league currently partake).  As a guy trying to get into coaching, it gets you "black-listed".

Walton, Kareem, Chief were all known for their "habits", and none of them ever got a coaching job.  Although, in Walton's case, I'm not sure he ever wanted one.  He was an awesome announcer (NBC) for a while though.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/01/robert-parish-larry-bird-kevin-mchale-wont-return-my-calls/

Sad stuff. Sounds like the Chief is broke and needs help.

Once named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history, Robert Parish now just wants to coach in the NBA. The only problem, according to the 59-year-old, is that former Celtic teammates and current NBA insiders Larry Bird and Kevin McHale won’t return his calls asking for help. From a story that ran A1 in Saturday’s Boston Globe: “‘People shouldn’t feel sad; they should help me get a job,’ said the Hall of Fame center with the deep voice on the other end. ‘I need a coaching job in the NBA. I’m restless and I need money.’

I guess no one is willing to help him.

…Parish, 59, said that Bird and McHale, both of whom have held coaching and front office jobs in the league (McHale is the coach of the Houston Rockets), have done nothing to help him in his quest to return to the NBA, although he says he has reached out to them. He calls his Hall of Fame teammates ‘acquaintances.

Parish says the Big Three are not friends.

‘In my case, I don’t have any friends,’ Parish said. ‘I saw Kevin at an event; he said he was going to call me. He never called. I called Larry twice when he was at the Indiana Pacers; he never returned my call. And not just Larry. Across the board, most NBA teams do not call back. You need a court order just to get a phone call back from these organizations. I’m not a part of their fraternity.’

Bird says this is not true.

Bird has a rather different recollection. Traveling, he sent a concise text in response to questions from the Globe: ‘Robert never called me for a job. Period.’

McHale says he tried to help him with Minnesota. I guess there is no room on his staff in Houston. You would think he could be a good big man coach with all the young front court players in Houston.

McHale, for his part, expressed remorse in a voicemail. He said he tried to hire Parish when he was in Minnesota, but ‘I went back and checked . . . we were actually reducing spots at the time. Then I was let go from Minnesota.’”

That Bird statement about Parish having never called him "for a job. Period", along with Bird's having said that previous teammates have regularly called asking for money makes me suspect that that's what Parish has called him for.

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That Bird statement about Parish having never called him "for a job. Period", along with Bird's having said that previous teammates have regularly called asking for money makes me suspect that that's what Parish has called him for.

Yeah, that's my take on it too.  And probably exactly the kind of behavior that would get such a terse response from Larry.

Shame about Chief, but if no one wants to help him out, it's probably because he has a bad reputation, deserved or not. 

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
:D
i seem to remember the chief getting busted for mail ordering weed when in boston
was brushed under a carpet but i know it got some headlines

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
If Parish is genuine about coaching, he should offer one on one tutorial sessions with bigs during the offseson, similar to the camps that Olajuwon offers. After all, the journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step and such and such.

Re: Robert Parish yearns for NBA coaching job
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717

To be a successful coach in today's NBA you have to be an upbeat, communicator type.  I don't see Parish as that. He should try to hook on somewhere as a big man coach and PR ambassador.     

uh, don't you think that if Parish is not "upbeat and a communicator", then a PR job would be even worse for him than a coaching job ?

I don't much see Parish as a coaching type either, but that was part of what made him so great as a player. no BS, no pretense, no card tricks, just get in there and, along with some very under-rated skills, grind the other guy down. go back and watch 1984 - he simply beat Kareem up in the finals and he and Max won game 7 for us, plain and simple. not a bunch of trash talk either, but nobody ever messed with the guy. it's a shame he blew through his money and can't just enjoy his summer camps and be done with it.

personally, I am sick of the stepford coaches we see roaming the sidelines now in their $1000 suits both in the pros and in college. they look the same, act the same, coach the same. we used to have personalities who went their own way and didn't care about fashion or saying just the right thing to the press or about being a player's coach or about trying to be mysterious personalities (Phil "bandwagon" Jerkson) - they just coached, baby.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Robert Parish yearns for NBA coaching job
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717

To be a successful coach in today's NBA you have to be an upbeat, communicator type.  I don't see Parish as that. He should try to hook on somewhere as a big man coach and PR ambassador.     

uh, don't you think that if Parish is not "upbeat and a communicator", then a PR job would be even worse for him than a coaching job ?

I don't much see Parish as a coaching type either, but that was part of what made him so great as a player. no BS, no pretense, no card tricks, just get in there and, along with some very under-rated skills, grind the other guy down. go back and watch 1984 - he simply beat Kareem up in the finals and he and Max won game 7 for us, plain and simple. not a bunch of trash talk either, but nobody ever messed with the guy. it's a shame he blew through his money and can't just enjoy his summer camps and be done with it.

i'm sure the smoke and knocking his wife around have stayed with him - in the back of the NBA's ever-vigilant PR mindset these days. I did find his comment dismissing himself for having a "guest" when his wife came by his hotel room a bit unsettling - like, "what's the big deal ?" you also heard stories that Miss Nancy was quite a handful herself and that Robert felt like a load had been lifted when they separated. I know they are pro athletes and all, but it's kinda normal there, Chief, for any wife or husband to get real upset when they find you in bed with someone else. I find it extremely sad that he sold his rings - no way that does not hurt him deep down to have to have done that.

on a related note - personally, I am sick of the stepford coaches we see roaming the sidelines now in their $1000 suits both in the pros and in college. they look the same, act the same, coach the same. we used to have personalities who went their own way and didn't care about fashion or saying just the right thing to the press or about being a player's coach or about trying to be mysterious personalities (Phil "bandwagon" Jerkson) - they just coached, baby.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce