Author Topic: DA, Doc and C's players have given fans a Nightmare season  (Read 3177 times)

DA, Doc and C's players have given fans a Nightmare season
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:21:55 AM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I have accepted this. Now all I want are answers. Someone needs to step up and take responsibility and give your MILLIONS of fans around the Globe some answers. Not on the court, we know what happens there, to us, the media, the fans, have some culpability, take responsibility like a MAN.

I could have never envisioned even in my worst nightmares how bad this team would become, the inconsistency, blowing HUGE leads, PP crumbling before my eyes almost to the point of ruining a legacy. Grousbeck on cssne said this was supposed to be a transition season, where the vets where fgoing to show the young guys how to win and what they are getting is the complete opposite.

I am heartbroken about this team and it makes me literally ill to see how bad the effort and the chemistry is on this team. The only good thing that can come out of this season(other than some rebuilding trades) are how to NOT run a franchise and how NOT to play basketball.

I know that I seem pretty negative but I just haven't been able to see anything positive from my viewpoint, from playing for 20+ years and this team being my only team to root for. I wish I didn't wear my heart on my sleeve w this team and it pains me to not see anything hopeful. On that note, I will cease my negative posts and will actually only check up on the C's at the beginning of next year.

Re: DA, Doc and C's players have given fans a Nightmare season
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The organization put together a roster that should have been competitive.

I think this is just a case of age finally getting to them, and the new pieces not coming together at all the way they hoped.  Basically, after having so many things go their way since All-Star break last season, very little has gone their way this season.  Every gamble went the wrong way.  That's just how it goes sometimes.

This had to happen eventually. 

I'm not angry at the team.  This isn't like 2009-2010 when we had a super talented team that just didn't seem to give a crap (until the playoffs).  I think these guys have their issues, but a lot of nights they do try.  They didn't lose tonight because they didn't care.  They lost because the team is really truly flawed.  They could be getting more out of this roster, but I do think at the end of the day that the talent at the top just isn't enough for this team to keep competing at a high level.  The foundation finally gave out.

Now it's evident that the rebuild we hoped to put off for another couple of seasons is knocking at our door.  It can't be avoided any longer.  The best and most consistent players on the roster right now are the youngest players on the team, yet the headliners are still Pierce, KG, and Rondo. 

That says pretty much all you need to know; the roster is mismatched and different guys are heading in drastically different directions.

At the end of the day, since spring '08 this team has won 9 playoff series and come very close to winning 3 more.  They were only eliminated in fewer than 7 games once in that time.  We've been very fortunate to see this run of excellence. 

But now it's run its course.  Rebuilding is never all that fun, but it's probably less aggravating and anxiety-inducing than a season like this one.  Watching Hall of Famers for nostalgia's sake and nothing else doesn't make sense.  Is it really worth holding onto this mess because every 3-4 games Pierce or KG will have a vintage performance that doesn't even win us the game? 

As fans we can survive a handful of seasons without playoffs, or at least without winning any playoff series.  I trust that Ainge can do a good job of getting us back there sooner than many GMs would.  We're not starting completely from scratch, in any case.  There are still long term assets on this roster.

The future is not so dark with this team, though the present may be.  But it will have to get worse before it gets better.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01:42 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I have accepted this. Now all I want are answers. Someone needs to step up and take responsibility and give your MILLIONS of fans around the Globe some answers. Not on the court, we know what happens there, to us, the media, the fans, have some culpability, take responsibility like a MAN.

I could have never envisioned even in my worst nightmares how bad this team would become, the inconsistency, blowing HUGE leads, PP crumbling before my eyes almost to the point of ruining a legacy. Grousbeck on cssne said this was supposed to be a transition season, where the vets where fgoing to show the young guys how to win and what they are getting is the complete opposite.

I am heartbroken about this team and it makes me literally ill to see how bad the effort and the chemistry is on this team. The only good thing that can come out of this season(other than some rebuilding trades) are how to NOT run a franchise and how NOT to play basketball.

I know that I seem pretty negative but I just haven't been able to see anything positive from my viewpoint, from playing for 20+ years and this team being my only team to root for. I wish I didn't wear my heart on my sleeve w this team and it pains me to not see anything hopeful. On that note, I will cease my negative posts and will actually only check up on the C's at the beginning of next year.

All I can say is that all of the free agent signings have been busts both resigning our own and the new players we acquired. THat and the veterans have regressed to the point where we don't have any more stars on the team. And our beloved coach is floundering too. I am baffled too.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:34 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
father time happened

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:39 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chemistry.

We have nine new players on the roster and not all of them seems to fit in the system that Doc runs.

It's a matter of either Doc will adjust to them, play to their strengths or them being shipped out and traded and hope the players coming in would be a better fit.

Then there's Doc and his stubbornness to play our starters even though their contributing nothing on the court.

Then the injuries to Bradley and to some extent maybe Darko and Rondo. We probably would have won more games if those guys stayed healthy from the start.

Then there's, you know, being old.

And finally, this team lost it's heart. Those games where there was completely no effort is evidence.

It has been a disappointing season, so far. But there's a lot of basketball to be played, a lot of time to turn it around. And one thing they taught me last year, they are capable of turning it around. It would need some help though, either trades or changes on the style of play, but they will turn it around. Most importantly, I trust in KG.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
father time happened

square peg round hole doc rivers happened also. not using playings correctly. crappy offensive schemes.terrible in game adjustments or lack thereof. notice when we attacked on dribble drives and dishes how it worked out? why did we not keep doing it?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Chemistry.

We have nine new players on the roster and not all of them seems to fit in the system that Doc runs.

It's a matter of either Doc will adjust to them, play to their strengths or them being shipped out and traded and hope the players coming in would be a better fit.

Then there's Doc and his stubbornness to play our starters even though their contributing nothing on the court.

Then the injuries to Bradley and to some extent maybe Darko and Rondo. We probably would have won more games if those guys stayed healthy from the start.

And finally, this team lost it's heart. Those games where there was completely no effort is evidence.

It has been a disappointing season, so far. But there's a lot of basketball to be played, a lot of time to turn it around. And one thing they taught me last year, they are capable of turning it around. It would need some help though, either trades or changes on the style of play, but they will turn it around. Most importantly, I trust in KG.

Just curious. How many games do guys have to play together before they develop chemistry? I think 43 is enough. Put a fork in them. Wish they had won one more championship.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chemistry.

Just curious. How many games do guys have to play together before they develop chemistry? I think 43 is enough. Put a fork in them. Wish they had won one more championship.

When they decide that the roles they are playing are not working. Then they tweak, figure out what different roles they play and when it works, there you go. 39 games left, thats mire than enough to figure out which roles fit the players best.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You must be ten years old if you think this is a nightmare season.   Names like Potapenko still haunt me, this team is still fun to watch to me. 

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:39:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Chemistry.

I think they all fit well, main problem at the moment is Doc's coaching rotations, and problems with our starters.

Since Avery returned, our new players which pretty much encompass our bench units, are all contributing appropriately.

It's time to stop complaining about our roster situation, complaining about our bench and new players, because they're not the problem nor is their ability to play in Doc's system.

Bass is not a new player, and he's been a negative.

Pierce has not been performing well, and he's our longest tenured player.

Rondo has had an overall good season, but his inconsistencies running the offense remain as is his defensive effort.

KG struggled with his shot in a few games, but I feel he's beyond criticism at this point with all he gives.

Terry's shots are not falling, and that's about my only complaint with him... but far it from being a big problem with the Celtics.

I see our team, and I really don't see many chemistry issues other than those that arise by Doc playing incompatible components that shouldn't be playing together in the first place.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
PP crumbling before my eyes almost to the point of ruining a legacy.

Whoa there.  It might be time to step back from the ledge and regain some perspective.  Pierce has had a rough season, especially over the last couple weeks.  However, I don't think he's damaged his legacy at all, let alone nearly ruined it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So what I think happened is that PP and KG played so well last year at the end, plus we caught some breaks in how the playoff match-ups fell, and next thing you know, we are in the ECF, one game away from making the finals.

Based on that, who wouldn't think that if we just add some depth (Terry, Green, Lee, Darko), get lucking in the draft (Sullinger), we can be even better this year and make a run to the finals.

OK, so we lost Ray Allen, I am not sure how much that matters but maybe.  I think the real problem is that for whatever reason, KG and PP are showing their age much more than you would have expected after how they played last season.  It was the short season and maybe that is it.  They just can't handle the full season grind; or weren't prepared for it or something.

Anyway, whatever that something is, it is something that is what it is and that is something that isn't nothing and it isn't going to change unless it changes.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
im surprised people are so easy to put the blame on Pierce/KG.

Pierce has had a rough couple weeks, but overall he's as productive as he was the past few years.

same with KG...he's putting up nearly 15ppg on 50% shooting.

the problem is for all the talent of our Roleplayers, they havent been able to mesh and no one save for bradley/lee/Sullinger have bought into our defensive rotations.

its funny that the complaint is our offense when Danny went out and signed guys(lee, terry, green) who can average double digits any given night.

BUT, their offense seems to have plummeted off a cliff...part of it is self inflicted(terry)

but, frankly When given minutes guys like Lee/Green have been fine...

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I think its Wyc and Ainge, as I believe it was more important to put out our big names and pretend we could win than start the rebuilding process that needed to happen(that the casual fans wouldn't want). I assume Wyc is behind most of this.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think its Wyc and Ainge, as I believe it was more important to put out our big names and pretend we could win than start the rebuilding process that needed to happen(that the casual fans wouldn't want). I assume Wyc is behind most of this.

we were 1 game from the NBA finals last year...its not like Wyc was "pretending we could win" when you were playing as well as we did to end that season and were so close to getting to the chip

when you are that close you try and go for it...unfortunately they seemed to have missed on most of their moves this past summer