Author Topic: Next Coach if Doc, Pierce, KG Retire At End of Season?  (Read 1387 times)

Next Coach if Doc, Pierce, KG Retire At End of Season?
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Imagine that, in the wake of this disaster of a season, Pierce and KG both decide to hang it up, and Doc Rivers and the team both decide it's time for him to move on (though they still have to pay him that extension money . . . oops!).

Who would you want to step in as the new coach of the Celtics?

My vote is for either of the Van Gundy brothers.  Either one would be good.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Next Coach if Doc, Pierce, KG Retire At End of Season?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:57 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I love SVG

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
End of season? How about right now!

Phil Jackson. You know he wants to stick it to LA.

Banner#18 the window is now.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Ditto for any of the VG
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:27:50 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
If we go youth movement, Scott Skiles. While after a handful of seasons his voice starts to fade in the locker room, he's done pretty well with making young rosters competitive and developing players at the same time.

If we somehow get a few good players in their prime via trade or free agency to have a somewhat competitive team, then I wouldn't mind Stan Van Gundy, or maybe pulling a guy like David Blatt from overseas.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
why would svg or jackson want to coach a celts team that will be without star players??

I vote for a no namer. One of San Antiono's assistants (usually premium) or scal. I really think scal would be a good nba coach

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Better question would be how we could fill out the roster if KG and Pierce both retire.   Some of those contracts for mediocre talent might be a little annoying.

Jeff Green making 9 mil.  Bass making 6.5 mil.  Lee and Terry each making 5 mil.  Rondo making 12 mil... those are the bigger contracts.

We'd maybe have enough money to offer one max contract, but sadly not two max contracts.  Kind of a shame, because if we didn't have Terry, Bass and Lee clogging up money, we could theoretically offer Josh Smith and Dwight Howard max deals to come play with Rondo. 

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Better question would be how we could fill out the roster if KG and Pierce both retire.   Some of those contracts for mediocre talent might be a little annoying.

Jeff Green making 9 mil.  Bass making 6.5 mil.  Lee and Terry each making 5 mil.  Rondo making 12 mil... those are the bigger contracts.

We'd maybe have enough money to offer one max contract, but sadly not two max contracts.  Kind of a shame, because if we didn't have Terry, Bass and Lee clogging up money, we could theoretically offer Josh Smith and Dwight Howard max deals to come play with Rondo.

I don't think either J-Smoove or Howard is coming here regardless.

No, I think the cap-clearing plan would be to try to trade Rondo along with a couple of the guys you mentioned (e.g. Terry/Lee and Bass) for younger talent.  Perhaps to move up in the draft if Danny really likes somebody in the Top 5.  It's a weak draft so Rondo could get a top 5 pick from a team desperate for a sure thing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain