Author Topic: I don't blame the players  (Read 2508 times)

Re: I don't blame the players
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The players are the ones who aren't getting it done on the floor.  They've got to bear primary responsibility.

Doc has sucked this season, though.  He doesn't have his team motivated, he isn't utilizing a lot of his players properly, and his play-calling has been mediocre at best.

I think these are two contradictory statements. How can you say players have to bear responsibility and then go on to say he doesn't have the team motivated and isn't utilizing them properly?

Roy, I'd really like to know how you would feel...27 years old. You just shot 50% from the field, 100% of your free throws, made lots of hustle plays, got some steals, got some rebounds, helped rebuild a lead to 10 in the 4th quarter -- only to get pulled and sat to watch it evaporate. You'd REALLY be motivated to play for this coach? You'd REALLY be interested in giving your all?

That's like working hard for a promotion but your boss just won't promote you...gives you a list of things to do and you do it, still no promotion...or WORSE...promotes someone else.

I think we fail to realize these people are human.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The players are the ones who aren't getting it done on the floor.  They've got to bear primary responsibility.

Doc has sucked this season, though.  He doesn't have his team motivated, he isn't utilizing a lot of his players properly, and his play-calling has been mediocre at best.

I think these are two contradictory statements. How can you say players have to bear responsibility and then go on to say he doesn't have the team motivated and isn't utilizing them properly?

Roy, I'd really like to know how you would feel...27 years old. You just shot 50% from the field, 100% of your free throws, made lots of hustle plays, got some steals, got some rebounds, helped rebuild a lead to 10 in the 4th quarter -- only to get pulled and sat to watch it evaporate. You'd REALLY be motivated to play for this coach? You'd REALLY be interested in giving your all?

That's like working hard for a promotion but your boss just won't promote you...gives you a list of things to do and you do it, still no promotion...or WORSE...promotes someone else.

It's the job of professionals to be self-motivated, and prepared to produce when called upon.  Doc isn't the one out there forcing bad shots, making mental mistakes, not playing defense, etc.  Aren't the multi-million dollar contracts motivation enough?  Aren't the cheering fans?  They need some guy in a suit to fire them up to do their jobs?

Regarding your analogy, if you get passed over for promotion and you then decide to sulk and slack off on your job, you decide to be fired.  Perhaps your boss does, too, but if you're not doing what you're paid to do, it's on you.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

It's the job of professionals to be self-motivated, and prepared to produce when called upon.  Doc isn't the one out there forcing bad shots, making mental mistakes, not playing defense, etc.  Aren't the multi-million dollar contracts motivation enough?  Aren't the cheering fans?  They need some guy in a suit to fire them up to do their jobs?

Regarding your analogy, if you get passed over for promotion and you then decide to sulk and slack off on your job, you decide to be fired.  Perhaps your boss does, too, but if you're not doing what you're paid to do, it's on you.

and then THAT'S not what I asked.

I understand self-motivation. I get it. And I think for the guys to even continue to play like this is self-motivation. I mean, you make it seem like there's no use for the coach other than to draw up plays. And even that's been questionable.