Author Topic: I don't blame the players  (Read 2509 times)

I don't blame the players
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
any more. at all.

Gracious. Are they inconsistent? Absolutely, but one thing I've noticed is if one guy gets going, the rest of them get going. I do believe they are into each other and pulling for the success of one another (think about how an early JG dunk gets them going).

Doc...is a great guy I'm sure. But if I were Courtney Lee, Jeff Green or even Jason Terry tonight, I would go into the locker room and laugh too. How could you not play them more? How could you not create plays for them WHEN IT MATTERS MOST? How do you let them get you back 10 points only to let your Captain come in and mess everything up? AND YOU NEVER SIT HIM!

Everyone wants to bash Rondo, but he's TRYING. I really do think he is. Bad passes, bad turnovers, cuz he's trying to FORCE playing with these guys. Who does he always pass poorly to? Bass or Pierce because he's trying to get them into the game. He rarely fumbles oops with Wilcox, Green, AB.

Doc is underutilizing his talent. AND ALL THE PLAYERS KNOW! You don't think the players aren't AT LEAST subconsciously blaming PP? And Doc cannot be respected because it's a glaring problem and he will not correct it. Nor will he correct the problem with Bass. I mean...Korver took 8 threes before we put our best defender on him. PP obviously could not guard Josh Smith.

Doc is either hopeful, reliant, loyal or stuck in the past. But he needs to speed up to 2013. You have a team built to run and your starters RARELY do that unless it's Rondo and/or AB. Your ENTIRE 2nd unit runs and performs well...and have really been bailing us out in most games.

Coach has to do better. And PP has to as well (though I think he's coming around). My point is people are saying everyone lacks mental toughness and they're just babies, etc. etc. I disagree. It's just really hard to respect a guy who will not face reality. It's hard to do spectacular things when (I assume) you're told not to be doing them (I heard someone put it like the offense is micromanaged).

How would you feel? I mean you CLEARLY have the talent. IF you were a bench player? A guy who got 17 and 6 on tonight? Or a guy who has made 7 points in under 3 minutes before? How would you feel? Serious question.

Re: I don't blame the players
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:43:43 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
the rotations tonight were baffling and did exhibit one of doc's main problems: his reliance on the old guys. the bench was destroying atlanta. lee, green, terry...we were running the hawks into the ground. its not like those guys don't have the stamina to play 35 minutes tonight. honestly, tonight was a prime night to not put the starters back in unless the bench started screwing up.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:54 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am not a BB expert but I am smart enough to know and post here that Doc Rivers is not a great coach, I really dont know how he got the reputation of being a great coach.

We almost lost the 2008 championship when we should have been overwhelming favorites to beat the Lakers. Doc was lucky in that finals because almost all the successful comebacks were based on adjustments that where forced on him and not those that were voluntarily made.

He is overly dependent on his star players, and will ride them until they drop.

A great coach is a confident coach that will go against convention when necessary.

I dont get why a starter is such a big deal in the NBA when it is a sport that is based on rotating players. Who cares who starts the game, really? You need to get the rotation that gets wins not who happens to roll out for the opening tip.

Bench Pierce and get Green in there who can actually run with Rondo... the crafty Pierce can come in to finish the
the opposition...

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
any more. at all.

Gracious. Are they inconsistent? Absolutely, but one thing I've noticed is if one guy gets going, the rest of them get going. I do believe they are into each other and pulling for the success of one another (think about how an early JG dunk gets them going).

Doc...is a great guy I'm sure. But if I were Courtney Lee, Jeff Green or even Jason Terry tonight, I would go into the locker room and laugh too. How could you not play them more? How could you not create plays for them WHEN IT MATTERS MOST? How do you let them get you back 10 points only to let your Captain come in and mess everything up? AND YOU NEVER SIT HIM!

Everyone wants to bash Rondo, but he's TRYING. I really do think he is. Bad passes, bad turnovers, cuz he's trying to FORCE playing with these guys. Who does he always pass poorly to? Bass or Pierce because he's trying to get them into the game. He rarely fumbles oops with Wilcox, Green, AB.

Doc is underutilizing his talent. AND ALL THE PLAYERS KNOW! You don't think the players aren't AT LEAST subconsciously blaming PP? And Doc cannot be respected because it's a glaring problem and he will not correct it. Nor will he correct the problem with Bass. I mean...Korver took 8 threes before we put our best defender on him. PP obviously could not guard Josh Smith.

Doc is either hopeful, reliant, loyal or stuck in the past. But he needs to speed up to 2013. You have a team built to run and your starters RARELY do that unless it's Rondo and/or AB. Your ENTIRE 2nd unit runs and performs well...and have really been bailing us out in most games.

Coach has to do better. And PP has to as well (though I think he's coming around). My point is people are saying everyone lacks mental toughness and they're just babies, etc. etc. I disagree. It's just really hard to respect a guy who will not face reality. It's hard to do spectacular things when (I assume) you're told not to be doing them (I heard someone put it like the offense is micromanaged).

How would you feel? I mean you CLEARLY have the talent. IF you were a bench player? A guy who got 17 and 6 on tonight? Or a guy who has made 7 points in under 3 minutes before? How would you feel? Serious question.

ALL OF THIS!!!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth!

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:30 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I posted this and didn't realize it was so long. sorry lol

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:57 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
and after writing this post, it's hard for me to even blame PP now. He's only being run into the ground by the coach. Imagine trying to tell a guy 'no thx' but he's forcing it on you, telling you you can do it, etc. I think PP knows...especially after these last 2 games. He's passed on shots he would probably take.

Doc has probably lost the players, but can you blame them?

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doc is to blame for several things, such as not getting Rondo's ego in check.

But what is he do with guys like Pierce? bench them? He gets paid 15 million a year to execute on the court

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Doc is to blame for several things, such as not getting Rondo's ego in check.

But what is he do with guys like Pierce? bench them? He gets paid 15 million a year to execute on the court

when he is off you sit him. maybe doc needs to grow some cajones. also, how about not pounding that square peg into a round hole putting him in iso at the end?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I blame old age.   Several of our core players are older than dirt.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pierce is coming around?

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Doc has to really do a better job on PP and KG as well.. He is afraid to hurt the captains feelings to the detriment of the team.

Remember last season when Ray got hurt and Doc was forced to start Ab and it worked.  but before that fans already saw it would work but doc woild not listen and rode wiyh Ray until the injury happened..then when ray was ready to play, fans insisted to let ray come off the bench but what did the genius Doc do?...well he started Ray and we freakin lost that game...it became obvious AB had to start so Ray obliged and came out on the papers that he was willing to come off the bench so doc did the team a favor but not until ray voluntarilydid it himself.

The point is doc needs to suck it up and be like pop for once...i suppose it  would never happen until PP gets injured or something but the fact is tjis team is toast if we will continue to go with what is obviously not working.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I blame old age.   Several of our core players are older than dirt.

They are. I don't believe the Cs should even consider the idea of winning back to backs with this squad. So I don't really agree with the OPs finer points, I would say they should take a page out of Pop's book and play the bench the majority of minutes in such instances.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
PP and KG are overplayed, as usual....kg said he doesn't want to play center...look where he is.....fab melo....waiting.....why..? You'll never get better in the D league than the D league....you only get to be NBA by being in the NBA....doc brings up jason vernado....WHY...? We drafted melo, because we need an energetic center/rebounder/shot blocker...we have one right there.....put kg to forward, where he is happiest.....

PP, is he tired or what.....front rim kid and cannot cover anyone...Terry and green have no clue on D, and only now and then O......Doc needs to be replaced....he has only limited skills....he always goes to the same routine.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The players are the ones who aren't getting it done on the floor.  They've got to bear primary responsibility.

Doc has sucked this season, though.  He doesn't have his team motivated, he isn't utilizing a lot of his players properly, and his play-calling has been mediocre at best.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Doc has to really do a better job on PP and KG as well.. He is afraid to hurt the captains feelings to the detriment of the team.

Remember last season when Ray got hurt and Doc was forced to start Ab and it worked.  but before that fans already saw it would work but doc woild not listen and rode wiyh Ray until the injury happened..then when ray was ready to play, fans insisted to let ray come off the bench but what did the genius Doc do?...well he started Ray and we freakin lost that game...it became obvious AB had to start so Ray obliged and came out on the papers that he was willing to come off the bench so doc did the team a favor but not until ray voluntarilydid it himself.

The point is doc needs to suck it up and be like pop for once...i suppose it  would never happen until PP gets injured or something but the fact is tjis team is toast if we will continue to go with what is obviously not working.

At this point can you really blame PP? I mean, he's being played, so he has to play, right? These last 2 games PP has passed up on shots. He knows.