Author Topic: I guarantee a win against Miami  (Read 10126 times)

Re: I guarantee a win against Miami
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 04:10:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I guess the point really is . . . who cares if they do beat Miami?  Does it change anything?

Miami loses to mediocre teams all the time.

The Thunder lost to the Wizards recently.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I might be alone but I feel confident about this game. I feel like Lee, Green and Sully can take advantage and outplay some of their guys. If KG and Pierce don't totally stink things up and Rondo gives us what he's been giving us we got this.

Why do you say you might be alone, I started the thread :P

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I guess the point really is . . . who cares if they do beat Miami?  Does it change anything?

I guess it's fine to overreact when the Celtics are the ones losing to mediocre teams.

Who cares if we beat Miami? Well, I'm sure you'll be the first one complaining about the Celtics if we lose to them... can't have it both ways.

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i care.

aside from beating one of the best teams in the league, and defending champs, u have the ray angle.

so, i care, and im sure others care as well.  whether anything changes doesn't matter to me when it comes to this game.  a win is a win and thats a good thing.  its even better for the aforementioned reasons

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There, I said it. You won't convince me otherwise, and we're going to win comfortably.
I'll bet you a TP otherwise.

The only way they'll beat us is if LeBron has a ridiculous monster game... otherwise, we'll win.

No one else on that team will have a good game, I guarantee it. We'll out rebound them also.

Regardless of how we play, I really feel our team is tailored made to stop Miami.

Wade will struggle, Ray is will struggle, Bosh 70% sure he'll struggle.

Mike Miller is an  X factor to me though.

But you'll see, Miami is going down.
love the optimism but I don't see it happening.  agree to a TP for whoever's right?  I'll gladly pay up if you are.

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I guess it's fine to overreact when the Celtics are the ones losing to mediocre teams.

Who cares if we beat Miami? Well, I'm sure you'll be the first one complaining about the Celtics if we lose to them... can't have it both ways.

No, at this point I'm really beyond complaining about individual games.  If they get totally demolished by the Heat, it will sting in the moment, sure.  And if they beat the Heat, it will be nice in the moment.

But as for meaning anything about the season or where this team is right now?  Doesn't make a darn of difference.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
There, I said it. You won't convince me otherwise, and we're going to win comfortably.
I'll bet you a TP otherwise.

The only way they'll beat us is if LeBron has a ridiculous monster game... otherwise, we'll win.

No one else on that team will have a good game, I guarantee it. We'll out rebound them also.

Regardless of how we play, I really feel our team is tailored made to stop Miami.

Wade will struggle, Ray is will struggle, Bosh 70% sure he'll struggle.

Mike Miller is an  X factor to me though.

But you'll see, Miami is going down.

I admire the optimism. While I agree with your post, I'm more confident that the Celts are capable of beating the Heat than I am that they can perform well 2 days after a double overtime game.

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Actually you can have it both ways. The celtics have put themselves in a position where every loss is looked at closely and every win is just "Show me more". A loss is alot more impactful than a win right now.

That doesn't mean don't win the game it just means they will have ALOT more to prove regardless of it they win and if they lose its just further proving everybody's belief that this team is just not good enough to do anything. *Or maybe the coach isn't good enough, you choose*.

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Actually you can have it both ways. The celtics have put themselves in a position where every loss is looked at closely and every win is just "Show me more". A loss is alot more impactful than a win right now.

That doesn't mean don't win the game it just means they will have ALOT more to prove regardless of it they win and if they lose its just further proving everybody's belief that this team is just not good enough to do anything. *Or maybe the coach isn't good enough, you choose*.

Sure, they'll have more to prove than just this one game, but that doesn't mean this game doesn't matter.  The team is currently in the eighth seed and entering a stretch of the season where every game starts to matter.  Wins are needed right now, whether it's against the Heat or the Bobcats.  The fact that this game is against the defending champions and the favorites to win it again means that it matters a little more, though.  If the team can pull off a win on Sunday, it could give them a much needed boost of confidence that could very well help stem the bleeding of this six game losing streak. 

It may not matter much to you or PhoSita, but I can pretty much guarantee that it matters to the members of the Boston Celtics. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think if our team is "on" it will be a fun and classic type game.

For us to win though, we have to injure Wade and Bosh and have Lebron shoot horribly, which he has done exactly once this season.

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Sure, they'll have more to prove than just this one game, but that doesn't mean this game doesn't matter.  The team is currently in the eighth seed and entering a stretch of the season where every game starts to matter.  Wins are needed right now, whether it's against the Heat or the Bobcats.  The fact that this game is against the defending champions and the favorites to win it again means that it matters a little more, though.  If the team can pull off a win on Sunday, it could give them a much needed boost of confidence that could very well help stem the bleeding of this six game losing streak. 

It may not matter much to you or PhoSita, but I can pretty much guarantee that it matters to the members of the Boston Celtics.

Yeah, I just don't buy it. We've dominated miami in the regular season before just to lose to them in the playoffs. That was back when our team was actually somewhat consistent. The whole confidence thing i don't buy that either.

I don't think a win sunday means are team is suddenly going to start being consistent. I don't think this team with this coach is doing anything this year. I don't think they're good enough. I want us to beat miami sunday but if we do I'm not naive enough to make a huge deal out of it.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yeah, I just don't buy it. We've dominated miami in the regular season before just to lose to them in the playoffs. That was back when our team was actually somewhat consistent. The whole confidence thing i don't buy that either.

I don't think a win sunday means are team is suddenly going to start being consistent. I don't think this team with this coach is doing anything this year. I don't think they're good enough. I want us to beat miami sunday but if we do I'm not naive enough to make a huge deal out of it.

Yeah, and we took those eventual champions to 7 games, while one of our biggest weapon against them, Bradley, didn't play because of injuries, and Ray was playing on a wheelchair.

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I don't think a win on Sunday would necessarily mean the team is suddenly going to start being consistent either.  The good news is that we've still got just under forty games left to find that consistency. 

The talent is there.  I think that would be hard to deny.  Based on past experience, I trust our coach and our veterans to find a rhythm that works by the time the playoffs roll around.

And, by the way, our team wasn't all that consistent last year until the second half of the season.  I think it's a legitimate position to expect a similar turnaround this year.  Yes, Garnett and Pierce are a year older, and they haven't looked too great lately, but, on the other hand, they don't look completely washed up to me either.  To me, Pierce's problems look to be as much in his head as in his legs.  That's a good sign.  He can get his head right.

As to Doc's coaching, my position on him is that he's patient to the point where it can get frustrating to fans who clearly don't share his patience.  His patience gets seen for stubbornness.  After every regular season loss, the fans want to change everything.  That's not how it works.  Luckily, Doc knows that.  He knows that building a contender is a difficult, arduous process.  And, he knows that the results aren't necessarily going to be there in January, and that it's more important that they are there in May and June. 

We've all seen what we have with this team.  On the one hand, we have a youthful, defensive ball pressure, uptempo team with a great open floor point guard.  On the other hand, we have a grind it out, half court, defensive minded, possession based team led by two aging hall of fame caliber veterans.  Rondo straddles both identities. 

It's a conundrum, but one that I think can be solved.  It's not going to happen overnight (and apparently not even through 43 games).  I look forward to when it does click, though.  I think it's a mix that could end up being really potent.  We've seen glimpses of it.  We just haven't seen very much consistency with it to date.  We'll see.

Maybe I'm just a blind homer.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Yeah, and we took those eventual champions to 7 games, while one of our biggest weapon against them, Bradley, didn't play because of injuries, and Ray was playing on a wheelchair.

Yeah, completely leave out the fact miami was missing arguably their second best player on the team for most of the series and wade was playing on a bad knee, that's cool. The hawks took us to 7 in 08 and so did cleveland, so what? What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. It means you lost the series, end of story.

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Yeah, completely leave out the fact miami was missing arguably their second best player on the team for most of the series and wade was playing on a bad knee, that's cool. The hawks took us to 7 in 08 and so did cleveland, so what? What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. It means you lost the series, end of story.

Yes, we lost the series. End of story.  But, we took the NBA champions to a seventh game in the Eastern Conference Finals after being completely counted out by most fans and pundits.  I count that as a pretty successful season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: