Author Topic: Another Doc Rivers Special  (Read 7277 times)

Re: Another Doc Rivers Special
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
He wasn't being exposed while we were winning for the last 5 years.  You could say any of the things in that article about any coach in the NBA who isn't having an above average season.  The bottom line is the players play and right now they are playing poorly and its not just Docs fault.  1 bad year after 5 good years and he should be fired now that's stupidity!

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
feel that he's not getting into the players anymore. i hope he can find the decency to step down. it's time for a change.

No way! Does not seem reasonably possible. He wouldn't step down in Orlando with the bad start... Coaches don't step down often, they try to make it work, whether they can or not.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
feel that he's not getting into the players anymore. i hope he can find the decency to step down. it's time for a change.

No way! Does not seem reasonably possible. He wouldn't step down in Orlando with the bad start... Coaches don't step down often, they try to make it work, whether they can or not.

He's been a good coach for last 5 seasons and all of the sudden its his fault we are not winning.  Our star players have gotten old and our young guys are great play makers besides Rondo who has an attitude problem and appears to bog down the offense.  Keep Doc and change the personnel, he's the only guy besides KG and Pierce with a proven record of being a winner with the C's.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
He wasn't being exposed while we were winning for the last 5 years.  You could say any of the things in that article about any coach in the NBA who isn't having an above average season.  The bottom line is the players play and right now they are playing poorly and its not just Docs fault.  1 bad year after 5 good years and he should be fired now that's stupidity!

Within the last 5 years Thibs was here. (Hindsight is 20/20 BTW. If we knew then what we know now, he should have been promoted to head coach and we should have let Doc retire.)

Within the last 5 years Lawrence Frank was here.

Like I said, exposed and a product of his assistants.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla

Within the last 5 years Thibs was here. (Hindsight is 20/20 BTW. If we knew then what we know now, he should have been promoted to head coach and we should have let Doc retire.)

I think you have things backwards, his assistants are a product of him.  If we go by your theory Lawrence Frank should be fired at this point with his record in Detroit this season.  My point is that its not possible to win every year no matter the coach with out the talent.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

I think you have things backwards, his assistants are a product of him.  If we go by your theory Lawrence Frank should be fired at this point with his record in Detroit this season.  My point is that its not possible to win every year no matter the coach with out the talent.

LOL! Thibs is doing just fine without Glenn Rivers.

And please lets not act like we're that much better than Detroit at this point. They did manage to blow us out twice, by 15 and 20 points, didn't they?

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Doc gets credit for three things, that made him an elite coach.

1. Being likable
2. Being loyal
3. Designing great out-of-bounds plays

He's still the first two, but his out-of-bounds plays just do not work without Ray Allen as a decoy or a scorer. It's as simple as that.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla

LOL! Thibs is doing just fine without Glenn Rivers.

And please lets not act like we're that much better than Detroit at this point. They did manage to blow us out twice, by 15 and 20 points, didn't they?

Well I guess we will agree to disagree on whether or not Doc is and has been a good coach.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Doc gets credit for three things, that made him an elite coach.

1. Being likable
2. Being loyal
3. Designing great out-of-bounds plays

He's still the first two, but his out-of-bounds plays just do not work without Ray Allen as a decoy or a scorer. It's as simple as that.

Being likeable and loyal makes you an elite coach? lol his elite out of bounds plays *The ones to tie or win the game* seem to almost always involve pierce going one on one.....what the heck is elite about that?

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I've never liked doc's rotations.   However I will defend him here. when we won the title he OUTCOACHED Phil Jackson, move by move and the lakers players gave up.
This season he is standing by his players.  A guy like Bill Fitch would have imploded and look at bills record as celtics coach (also how long he lasted)

this is the same as last year, danny has kept the 3 year window open well beyond, for us to win we need many things to align, last year things clicked amazing, doc kept everyone calm and believing and we nearly made the FINALS
this year we have beaten many top notch teams but our consistancy (can't spell it!) has sucked

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
In the last 5 years, he had a different roster and a system that made sense for that roster. He also had 3 fairly healthy crazy good players. PP on the decline, KG still pretty good, and Ray gone, this guy is being exposed. Not that great of a coach.

He's made some very questionable decisions. FOR THIS GROUP. He's underutilizing them.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Let's be clear about one thing.  A LOT of coaches would have won A LOT of games with KG, Ray and Pierce 5 years ago.  Would they have won a championship?  Maybe not, and Doc has got to get credit for making the team as successful as it's been.  But this year has just been one, long, brutal coaching failure.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
is it docs fault that pierce has had 43 of his shots blocked this season?

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 03:18:04 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

absolutely. PP has the most shot attempts because he's in the most and given the ball the most.

plus, that's an awful stat to draw any conclusions from.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 03:45:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That's not as large a number as you seem to think it is.