Author Topic: Another Doc Rivers Special  (Read 7272 times)

Another Doc Rivers Special
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060112

I posted this in the game thread but thought it needed it's own discussion. If you are not familiar, it's a Bill Simmons Article from 2006. But when you read it, you might think it was written recently. Especially the part about the Hawk's game.

Please read or reread because I think you will enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:16:48 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Another Doc Rivers Special
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:07 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I posted this in the game thread but thought it needed it's own discussion. If you are not famuliar, it's a Bill Simmons Article from 2006. But when you read it, you might think it was written tonight. Especially the part about the Hawk's game.

brutal.  :(
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Jesus Bill lol
DKC Suns

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I posted this in the game thread but thought it needed it's own discussion. If you are not familiar, it's a Bill Simmons Article from 2006. But when you read it, you might think it was written tonight. Especially the part about the Hawk's game.

excellent post -- TP.  proves the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Doc has had the same issues regardless of whether he has a roster of young players or vets.

totally overrated as a coach. 

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I posted this in the game thread but thought it needed it's own discussion. If you are not familiar, it's a Bill Simmons Article from 2006. But when you read it, you might think it was written tonight. Especially the part about the Hawk's game.

excellent post -- TP.  proves the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Doc has had the same issues regardless of whether he has a roster of young players or vets.

terrible at utilizing player's strengths. he just slams that square peg into a round hole over and over.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

terrible at utilizing player's strengths. he just slams that square peg into a round hole over and over.

Brandon Bass nickname = square peg
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Coaches often improve as has Doc. Where was that article when he was coaching the 09 team, without KG, to play their hearts out? In 2010 when we almost won the title as underdogs in every series, some even had losing in the 1st rd to Miami? In 11 we again fought tooth and nail against Miami and every game was close despite playing without our starting center and Rondo playing with one arm? Last year our injury team again played our hearts out and were 8 minutes from the Finals. That is coaching. That is leading men. When Doc's players quit on him during the playoffs then it's time for him to go.

Oh, and by the way, I've heard Bill Simmons say that he stands corrected on Doc. He didn't feel he did a good job before the Big 3, but said that in 09 and 10 he did one of the best coaching jobs he's ever seen.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
feel that he's not getting into the players anymore. i hope he can find the decency to step down. it's time for a change.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wow.

1. Lousy record in close games

Check.

2. Too many turnovers.

Check.

3. Too many offensive rebounds allowed.

Check.

4. Not enough winning streaks.

Check.

5. Opposing 3-point percentage

Pretty sure this is a check.  It sure was tonight.  (they're 13th in the league so . . . half-check)

6. Lousy record on the road

Check. (7-14)

7. Lack of a consistent rotation

CHECK

8. Downright stupidity

At times, check.  (roll tape of every failed Pierce iso the past 3-4 seasons)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
wowwie wow wow

as i continue to say, he doesn't know what to do with this much talent

he's used to guys being ok at providing one thing cuz that's all they have.
this is diff.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Wow.

1. Lousy record in close games

Check.

2. Too many turnovers.

Check.

3. Too many offensive rebounds allowed.

Check.

4. Not enough winning streaks.

Check.

5. Opposing 3-point percentage

Pretty sure this is a check.  It sure was tonight.  (they're 13th in the league so . . . half-check)

6. Lousy record on the road

Check. (7-14)

7. Lack of a consistent rotation

CHECK

8. Downright stupidity

At times, check.  (roll tape of every failed Pierce iso the past 3-4 seasons)

9. playing a zone and letting a team shoot themselves back into a game

check

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Coaches often improve as has Doc. Where was that article when he was coaching the 09 team, without KG, to play their hearts out? In 2010 when we almost won the title as underdogs in every series, some even had losing in the 1st rd to Miami? In 11 we again fought tooth and nail against Miami and every game was close despite playing without our starting center and Rondo playing with one arm? Last year our injury team again played our hearts out and were 8 minutes from the Finals. That is coaching. That is leading men. When Doc's players quit on him during the playoffs then it's time for him to go.

Oh, and by the way, I've heard Bill Simmons say that he stands corrected on Doc. He didn't feel he did a good job before the Big 3, but said that in 09 and 10 he did one of the best coaching jobs he's ever seen.

I think Doc is regressing. :-\

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Last I saw, Doc wasn't wearing a jersey,
but what do I know.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
but what do I know.

You say that like we don't need coaches... your statement implies that coaches have no impact on wins or losses. Why pay Doc or any coach?

But what do I know.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
but what do I know.

You say that like we don't need coaches... your statement implies that coaches have no impact on wins or losses. Why pay Doc or any coach?

But what do I know.

TP.

Doc is a terrible coach. People have been blinded by his ability to manage player personalities and develop bonds with his team. But as far as coaching? Actually coaching a game? No.

Doc Rivers was a product of his assistants. Now he's being exposed.