Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15480 times)

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
People still measure individual success with rings in a team sport?  It's usually the standard thing to bring up to support an argment but it's not the whole argument.

I never considered Phil Jackson a great coach and the guy has like 10 or 11 rings.  The guy was never tested.  He took a smooth ride in coaching star studded teams.

Now that's not saying Pop isn't because he's head and shoulder's above any coach in the league but Doc took a strong second for me (and that is not a bad thing at all).

Doc has been tested.  He's been through it all.  You can count on the guy when we are down and not out (that's why I still have faith in this team this season).  All because of Doc. 

If all these coaches you guys are now raving about in favor of Doc, were stuck with the team and bad luck of injuries Doc was stuck with last year or in 2009 or in 2010, many of them would've cracked and I highly doubt many of them would've done a great of a job Doc did.  The man made something out of nothing for us.

I'm not about to turn my back on this team and I'm not about to turn my back on Doc.  He has earned his stay here and you know Danny must've seen something majority of us are not seeing to say he would ride with Doc no matter what. 

The guy stuck by us when we barely had any chance to make it at all and he made something out of pretty much nothing.

He chose to come back and coach when he really didn't have to (considering our state).  And because of that, KG came back.  And because of that, Paul came back.  And because of that, we're able to get Terry when Judas turned his back on us (even though Terry has been atrocious so far but our a** wasn't out after Judas left).

It's not all rainbows and sunshine and the moment.  As a matter of fact, it's probably the worse we've gotten but if I've learned one thing over the years of me being a Celtic, it's that to never ever ever ever count this team out.  Not a team that still has KG, Rondo, Pierce, and Doc.  I still believe (with the necessary trade) we'll turn things around and rise to the top again, or we die trying.

Doc stays.  He's our coach

Doc, is that you?

ROFLMBO
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I'm just a fan but I consider myself a Celtic.

so you think doc is using his talent correctly? His offensive style? You like the square peg round hole style?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »

Offline Kevin72790

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Doc's stubbornness has cost us 2 'game 7's. We should have kept Thib instead.

I vividly remember Doc kept letting Ray constantly get owned by Kobe, while benching a guy named Tony Allen who was considered one of best perimeter defenders in the game.

To quibble: Ray defending Kobe didn't have anything to us losing in Game 7.  He was held to 6-for-24 shooting.

As for Doc, his play-calling is overrated.  His strength has always been keeping his team motivated, and staying out of the way of his veterans.  Unfortunately, it looks like the team is starting to tune him out.
I disagree. I think Doc is one of the top play callers in the NBA. He was even when we had bad talent before The Big 3 era. He's always had some of the best plays coming out of timeouts. This year hasn't been the case but I think that's more or less the execution over Doc himself.

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm just a fan but I consider myself a Celtic.

so you think doc is using his talent correctly? His offensive style? You like the square peg round hole style?

Let's face it, no other player outside of KG, Rondo, and Sully is playing as expected.  It's thesame system that's worked for 95% of every player that's walked through the door.  It's thesame system that's worked for us for the past five years.  Defense. Defense. Defense.

This peg around the hole notion only came up in couple of stuff such as how he's been using Paul Pierce.  Paul's being our go to scorer for years and for the first time, he's not getting it done.  Guess who we got to back him up...a guy that's been the most passive most inconsistent player in a Celtics uniform.  Jeff Green has been atrocious this season and I completely understand why Doc still don't trust him.  Even when he decides to show up, it's never for the whole four quarters. 

Doc kept going back to Pierce because Pierce has been great for us and he's our go to scorer and he's a vet that's been in a funk before and was later out of it.  When it counts the most, you give the ball and draw plays for your best scorer, not a player that doesn't show up for most games and when he decides to show up it's only for couple of quarters.  I won't trust Jeff Green down the stretch no matter how good he plays. 

On Doc playing small ball:  Besides KG, who else do we really have?  He has no choice but to play small ball.

He plays to players' strengths and he displayed that when he decides to reduce KG's minutes to 5-5-5-5.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:31:11 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I agree that he is overrated.  His proper rating is right around nurses aid.

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
The "transition" experiment has gone awry-Time for some bold moves.  Bring in JVG as coach, see what Phil Jackson wants in order to become president of operations before Sacto/Seattle lures him away, trade PP for draft picks and a young, promising player.
Keep Phil Jackson away from my team.

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
its not docs fault that our players are too old and cant hang anymore.

It is when he limits other players roles to the point that they can not help pick up the slack.  Very little margin for error the way he coaches this team.

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
When people start complaining about Doc, no one ever gives me a list when I ask which current NBA head coaches they would trade Doc for if they could.  (This is me asking again, BTW.)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
When people start complaining about Doc, no one ever gives me a list when I ask which current NBA head coaches they would trade Doc for if they could.  (This is me asking again, BTW.)

Hollis, Stotts, Del Negro, Pop, Vogel, Thibs, Karl, Brooks, Skiles, Jackson.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:24 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
Thibbs, Collins, Mchale, Carlisle, Mark Jackson, Brooks, Popovich, Hollins.

guys not currently coaching...Sloan and JVG.

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2013, 12:44:08 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Thibbs, Collins, Mchale, Carlisle, Mark Jackson, Brooks, Popovich, Hollins.

guys not currently coaching...Sloan and JVG.
you'd trade doc for mark jackson? ****

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
To those defending Doc saying the roster is too darn old - how about them Spurs?

On the flip side, those calling Doc incompetent: Mike Brown and D'Antoni.

I agree with the guy who said Doc is one of the best but not without flaws. He isn't Pop. But Pop is one of a kind.

I think either the players step up or the roster changes (but I don't think/hope in a major way) because Doc is worth keeping.

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Pop, Thibs, Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank (maybe), I think Vogel might do ok, Collins

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Make Doc some sort of executive, bring in Nate McMillan.

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2013, 01:12:58 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Pop, Thibs, Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank (maybe), I think Vogel might do ok, Collins

I take back Mike Woodson.