Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15485 times)

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
it was clear to me in the 2010 game 7 finals.  Up with 9 minutes to go and doc rivers lets our guys get wasted and blow a lead before he decides to call a timeout ::)

Last year-Bradley and Steimsma see playing time only AFTER injuries ::)

Playoff run last year-Luck and heart

2008 championship team-Talent

This year-While greg popovich has his veteran layden team running like a well oiled machine, Doc rivers orchestrates the keystone cops ::)

I just want to point out that since the '07-'08 season, the Doc Rivers led Celtics have a total playoff record of 54-39 while the Greg Popovich led Spurs are 26 and 26 in the post season over that same span. 

Pops is probably the most overrated coach on these boards.

The irony in this post is hilarious. Plus id like to point out the spurs play in a much much better conference.

The irony of your post was equally funny, especially the part where the excuses kicked in.

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
All coaches are overrated. If anyone says Phil JAckson isn't overrated then you're crazy. In the end it's about players. Sure they need guidance and leadership (both of which I believe Doc is incredible at), but in the end players play.

Doc can't help it that KG can only play 2 1/2 qtrs. now. He can't help it that Pierce can't carry the team anymore and Rondo is unwilling too.

This isn't Doc's fault. In fact, ugh gross, I shutter to think of what this team would look like right now without Doc.

It's Doc fault that starters don't have enough rest. I mean 30+ MPG? He should learn how to control it.

It's Doc's fault that Sully nor Green have specific plays for them.

It's on Doc how take advantage on mismatches.

It's on Doc how to make the right roster rotations.

Tell me how did the Knicks improve from D'Antoni to Woodson?

You stop it right now. You're making far too much sense for these forums.

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
it was clear to me in the 2010 game 7 finals.  Up with 9 minutes to go and doc rivers lets our guys get wasted and blow a lead before he decides to call a timeout ::)

This year-While greg popovich has his veteran layden team running like a well oiled machine, Doc rivers orchestrates the keystone cops ::)

I just want to point out that since the '07-'08 season, the Doc Rivers led Celtics have a total playoff record of 54-39 while the Greg Popovich led Spurs are 26 and 26 in the post season over that same span. 

The irony in this post is hilarious. Plus id like to point out the spurs play in a much much better conference.

The irony of your post was equally funny, especially the part where the excuses kicked in.

Alright, doc has only one ring to pops 4. Why is that? No excuses now.

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Pops?
The guy who rested his starting 5 against Miami?

AND almost coached into a win? What...they lost by 5 points?

Sure. he's overrated.

Yes, the guy who can almost bear Miami without his starting 5 but hasn't exactly overachieved in the playoffs with them.

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

So the claim is that Pops used to be a great coach?

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

You didn't answer the question so lets try this again. Pops has 4 rings to docs one. Without using excuses, why is that?

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You didn't answer the question so lets try this again. Pops has 4 rings to docs one. Without using excuses, why is that?

If you're going to go with "you didn't answer a question" should you do it in a post where you refrain from answering my question? More irony?

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Because he's had the talent more often than Doc.

Anyway, if number of titles is the sole criteria for judging coaches, then Doc is tied for second with Carlisle and Spoelstra behind Popovic among active coaches.  Everyone else just sucks.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

If you're going to go with "you didn't answer a question" should you do it in a post where you refrain from answering my question? More irony?

Lol we really gonna play these childish games? Pop is a great coach. He has 4 rings to docs 1, without using excuses, why is that?

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Anyway, if number of titles is the sole criteria for judging coaches, then Doc is tied for second with Carlisle and Spoelstra behind Popovic among active coaches.  Everyone else just sucks.

That's an excuse.

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
People still measure individual success with rings in a team sport?  It's usually the standard thing to bring up to support an argment but it's not the whole argument.

I never considered Phil Jackson a great coach and the guy has like 10 or 11 rings.  The guy was never tested.  He took a smooth ride in coaching star studded teams.

Now that's not saying Pop isn't because he's head and shoulder's above any coach in the league but Doc took a strong second for me (and that is not a bad thing at all).

Doc has been tested.  He's been through it all.  You can count on the guy when we are down and not out (that's why I still have faith in this team this season).  All because of Doc. 

If all these coaches you guys are now raving about in favor of Doc, were stuck with the team and bad luck of injuries Doc was stuck with last year or in 2009 or in 2010, many of them would've cracked and I highly doubt many of them would've done a great of a job Doc did.  The man made something out of nothing for us.

I'm not about to turn my back on this team and I'm not about to turn my back on Doc.  He has earned his stay here and you know Danny must've seen something majority of us are not seeing to say he would ride with Doc no matter what. 

The guy stuck by us when we barely had any chance to make it at all and he made something out of pretty much nothing.

He chose to come back and coach when he really didn't have to (considering our state).  And because of that, KG came back.  And because of that, Paul came back.  And because of that, we're able to get Terry when Judas turned his back on us (even though Terry has been atrocious so far but our a** wasn't out after Judas left).

It's not all rainbows and sunshine at the moment.  As a matter of fact, it's probably the worse we've gotten in years but if I've learned one thing over the years of me being a Celtic, it's that to never ever ever ever count this team out.  Not a team that still has KG, Rondo, Pierce, and Doc.  I still believe (with the necessary trade) we'll turn things around and rise to the top again, or we die trying.

Doc stays.  He's our coach
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:16:40 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
People still measure individual success with rings in a team sport?  It's usually the standard thing to bring up to support an argment but it's not the whole argument.

I never considered Phil Jackson a great coach and the guy has like 10 or 11 rings.  The guy was never tested.  He took a smooth ride in coaching star studded teams.

Now that's not saying Pop isn't because he's head and shoulder's above any coach in the league but Doc took a strong second for me (and that is not a bad thing at all).

Doc has been tested.  He's been through it all.  You can count on the guy when we are down and not out (that's why I still have faith in this team this season).  All because of Doc. 

If all these coaches you guys are now raving about in favor of Doc, were stuck with the team and bad luck of injuries Doc was stuck with last year or in 2009 or in 2010, many of them would've cracked and I highly doubt many of them would've done a great of a job Doc did.  The man made something out of nothing for us.

I'm not about to turn my back on this team and I'm not about to turn my back on Doc.  He has earned his stay here and you know Danny must've seen something majority of us are not seeing to say he would ride with Doc no matter what. 

The guy stuck by us when we barely had any chance to make it at all and he made something out of pretty much nothing.

He chose to come back and coach when he really didn't have to (considering our state).  And because of that, KG came back.  And because of that, Paul came back.  And because of that, we're able to get Terry when Judas turned his back on us (even though Terry has been atrocious so far but our a** wasn't out after Judas left).

It's not all rainbows and sunshine and the moment.  As a matter of fact, it's probably the worse we've gotten but if I've learned one thing over the years of me being a Celtic, it's that to never ever ever ever count this team out.  Not a team that still has KG, Rondo, Pierce, and Doc.  I still believe (with the necessary trade) we'll turn things around and rise to the top again, or we die trying.

Doc stays.  He's our coach

Doc, is that you?

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm just a fan but I consider myself a Celtic.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

That's an excuse.

The part that you bolded is true.  Call it an excuse if you like.   

By the way, I think that Greg Popovic is an excellent coach.  I also happen to think that Doc Rivers is an excellent coach.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Lol we really gonna play these childish games? Pop is a great coach. He has 4 rings to docs 1, without using excuses, why is that?

He was a better coach when he acquired those rings than he has been for the last 5-6 years apparently. If you just go by rings, you can't claim that Pops has been a good coach recently.