Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15478 times)

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
it was clear to me in the 2010 game 7 finals.  Up with 9 minutes to go and doc rivers lets our guys get wasted and blow a lead before he decides to call a timeout ::)

Last year-Bradley and Steimsma see playing time only AFTER injuries ::)

Playoff run last year-Luck and heart

2008 championship team-Talent

This year-While greg popovich has his veteran layden team running like a well oiled machine, Doc rivers orchestrates the keystone cops ::)

I just want to point out that since the '07-'08 season, the Doc Rivers led Celtics have a total playoff record of 54-39 while the Greg Popovich led Spurs are 26 and 26 in the post season over that same span. 

Pop has definitely better able to get more out of the regular seasons, though.  If regular season success floats your boat more than playoff success, then I guess Pop is the guy. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
it was clear to me in the 2010 game 7 finals.  Up with 9 minutes to go and doc rivers lets our guys get wasted and blow a lead before he decides to call a timeout ::)

This year-While greg popovich has his veteran layden team running like a well oiled machine, Doc rivers orchestrates the keystone cops ::)

I just want to point out that since the '07-'08 season, the Doc Rivers led Celtics have a total playoff record of 54-39 while the Greg Popovich led Spurs are 26 and 26 in the post season over that same span. 

Pops is probably the most overrated coach on these boards.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Pops?
The guy who rested his starting 5 against Miami?

AND almost coached into a win? What...they lost by 5 points?

Sure. he's overrated.

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

The irony in this post is hilarious. Plus id like to point out the spurs play in a much much better conference.

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Stupid thread is incredibly stupid.

Doc was coach of the year in Orlando. 

Sam Mitchell was once Coach of the Year.  As was Mike Brown, Avery Johnson, Mike D'Antoni and Del Harris.

I think Doc is a good coach who played a role in this team's success in the past, but it's almost this year like he's trying to validate every criticism anyone has ever had of him as a coach.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

The irony in this post is hilarious. Plus id like to point out the spurs play in a much much better conference.

Fine.  Even if that's the case, if you look at their respective playoff records over the past five years, it's clear that Pop's teams have underachieved with some frequency. 

When folks around here want to bash Doc, they like comparing him negatively to the unimpeachable Greg Popovich.  Pointing out that Pop's teams have failed in the post-season more than Doc's teams in recent years seems fair. 

I love when posters continually ignore the facts, and just go with the conventional "wisdom."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
No coach is perfect. Doc's strength lies in controlling his superstars egos and getting them to work together. His play calling, at least with this group, is average at best.

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Fine.  Even if that's the case, if you look at their respective playoff records over the past five years, it's clear that Pop's teams have underachieved with some frequency. 

When folks around here want to bash Doc, they like comparing him negatively to the unimpeachable Greg Popovich.  Pointing out that Pop's teams have failed in the post-season more than Doc's teams in recent years seems fair. 

I love when posters continually ignore the facts, and just go with the conventional "wisdom."

Heres a fact, erik spoelstra accomplished everything doc has since doc got KG and ray in his first two years of having lebron and bosh. Doc came close to winning the finals in 2010, so did spoelstra his first year of the lebron era.

Doc *carried* the celtics to one championship, so did erik spoelstra. I mean, doc hasn't really done anything else besides those two things that's worth noting. I guess spoelstra is on docs level. Put the spurs in the east and the celtics in the west, need i say more.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Heres a fact, erik spoelstra accomplished everything doc has since doc got KG and ray in his first two years of having lebron and bosh. Doc came close to winning the finals in 2010, so did spoelstra his first year of the lebron era.

Doc *carried* the celtics to one championship, so did erik spoelstra. I mean, doc hasn't really done anything else besides those two things that's worth noting. I guess spoelstra is on docs level. Put the spurs in the east and the celtics in the west, need i say more.

The Spoelstra comparison is slightly irrelevant when comparing Doc and Pop.  Over the course of the past five seasons, Rivers' Celtics have been the favorites going in to the playoffs exactly once.  They won the title that year.  They pulled off a couple of significant upsets in 2010, knocking off the Cavs and the Magic.  Actually, the finals win over the Lakers was considered an upset win by many, as well.  Many pundits had that Lakers team as the favorites in that series, based in large part on their dismantling of the Spurs in five in the conference finals. 

I'd argue that the 2008 team would still have won the championship if they'd been in the West.  I'd also argue that the 2010 team that beat the Cavs and the Magic could have reached the finals if they were out West.  Even last year's team could have beaten many of the Western conference teams.  I mean, heck, they played the Heat tougher than the Thunder did. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Spoelstra is a very good coach. Not elite (say top 5) but probably top 10-12. If he wasn't coaching that unorthodox, highly visible and highly criticized Miami Heat team ... I think Spoelstra would have a much better reputation around the league amongst fans.

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Here's a fact:  Pop has four rings, Doc has one.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
All coaches are overrated. If anyone says Phil JAckson isn't overrated then you're crazy. In the end it's about players. Sure they need guidance and leadership (both of which I believe Doc is incredible at), but in the end players play.

Doc can't help it that KG can only play 2 1/2 qtrs. now. He can't help it that Pierce can't carry the team anymore and Rondo is unwilling too.

This isn't Doc's fault. In fact, ugh gross, I shutter to think of what this team would look like right now without Doc.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
All coaches are overrated. If anyone says Phil JAckson isn't overrated then you're crazy. In the end it's about players. Sure they need guidance and leadership (both of which I believe Doc is incredible at), but in the end players play.

Doc can't help it that KG can only play 2 1/2 qtrs. now. He can't help it that Pierce can't carry the team anymore and Rondo is unwilling too.

This isn't Doc's fault. In fact, ugh gross, I shutter to think of what this team would look like right now without Doc.

This is kinda how I feel as well.

At some point, your ten-million-a-year players need to earn their paychecks.  Pierce can't throw it in the ocean from the beach right now.  Rondo's defense is as bad as it's ever been.  Green isn't a nine-million-a-year player.  Garnett has arguably been pulling his weight this season, but he's now a perimeter center who doesn't rebound or protect the rim like he used to. 

You can blame Doc if you want - he's certainly not blameless - but many of the problems with this team are based on effort, not scheme.  Keep in mind that the team is led by a couple of been-there-before veterans and a hard-headed star PG.  Not exactly the most coachable bunch.  They're going to do what they want at this point in their careers, and the rest of the players are more likely to follow the guys on the court with them than the guy barking at them on the sidelines.  That's just how it is. 

If they don't want it, they don't want it.  I don't think a new coach would really help them much. 

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

It's Doc fault that starters don't have enough rest. I mean 30+ MPG? He should learn how to control it.

It's Doc's fault that Sully nor Green have specific plays for them.

It's on Doc how take advantage on mismatches.

It's on Doc how to make the right roster rotations.

Tell me how did the Knicks improve from D'Antoni to Woodson?

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doc is not a good coach. He is a great coach. His defensive system is one of the best. His ability to motivate and manage people might be about the best in the league. He is excellent at player development.

That said, when a good team starts to tune out a great coach management has two options:

1. Fire the coach and hire another great coach and hope the team tunes into that coach.

2. Make a major trade with some of the major players that are tuning out the coach and hope the players still here get that they either listen to this coach or are gone and also hope the incoming players also tune into the coach and turn the team's fortunes around.

I think the time for Danny to do one or the other is almost upon him. I think Danny will trade some players and see what Doc can do very soon. If things turn around, great. If they don't, I see Doc walking away at year's end. Danny won't have to fire him.

Remember, Doc said 2010 was the least fun season he ever had and almost walked away. But BBD was traded,  Rasheed left,  Nate was traded, Shaq retired and Doc returned.

Doc is not having fun this year. Like 2010, there is too much locker room drama and knuckleheads on the team. If something isn't done, Doc will walk after the season.