Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15488 times)

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:40 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
its not docs fault that our players are too old and cant hang anymore.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

But its his job to monitor their minutes and playing 2 players no matter how good they are but at the wrong side of 35 and play them entirely in the 4th qtr and 2 OT to boot
..what does that tell ya?.

Ive had it with doc, he is so enamored with Paul Pierce is so sickening...this was the exact same problem with doc when he had Ray Allen...he likes his vets way too much and he has some trusts issues with his bench....Jeff Green may not be better than Paul but from what ive seen, if used correctly to his strengths, Green could easily give us 20 points

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
The "transition" experiment has gone awry-Time for some bold moves.  Bring in JVG as coach, see what Phil Jackson wants in order to become president of operations before Sacto/Seattle lures him away, trade PP for draft picks and a young, promising player. 

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
The "transition" experiment has gone awry-Time for some bold moves.  Bring in JVG as coach, see what Phil Jackson wants in order to become president of operations before Sacto/Seattle lures him away, trade PP for draft picks and a young, promising player. 

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
it was clear to me in the 2010 game 7 finals.  Up with 9 minutes to go and doc rivers lets our guys get wasted and blow a lead before he decides to call a timeout ::)

Last year-Bradley and Steimsma see playing time only AFTER injuries ::)

Playoff run last year-Luck and heart

2008 championship team-Talent

This year-While greg popovich has his veteran layden team running like a well oiled machine, Doc rivers orchestrates the keystone cops ::)

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I like Doc, I really do. He is such a nice guy all around.

With that said I have never been a fan of Doc as a coach. His in game adjustments never seem to come. He allows the team to play dumb for way longer stretches than he should. And he never seems to work at creating mismatches and then go at them.

Hell Bird would run pick and rolles just to get a switch and a much better shot by going at the mismatch.

I believe he is a players coach.

I honestly think we could have gottn 2 more rings with a better coach.  And thats already!

He used to make geat game to game adjustments but that has slipped also and I believe it in part due to Tom T leaving.

Love Doc the guy! Not a fan of Doc the coach.

Jerry sloan anyone?
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
The only advantage to having JVG as coach is I would hear less of him commentating.  No Thanks!
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 08:06:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

It is, when you put in ineffective units (small ball with Pierce at the 4) and overplay struggling players, when you have good players on your bench that are actually performing well in a particular game.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

Offline WMark

• Xavier Tillman
JVG was a great defensive-minded coach with both the NYK and Houston...That's what we need.  A team up by 27 points before halftime needs to shift its focus to defense, and create offense from its defense.

I would also like to replace the current Lucky mascot with JET-The Celts are wasting 5 million a year on this guy anyway, might as well give him something to do.  Jet would also feel laess bad about getting that Celtics tattoo.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

so he is using players correctly and makes great adjustments? he has a great offensive style? wow. just wow.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Why are we still setting up an iso play for pierce on the final shot? It NEVER works

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If the role players don't fit with Doc, then change the role players.

Doc has done a brilliant job here and has had great success with Rondo, Garnett and Pierce. That is foundation. The role players are the changeable entity here.

And if/when necessary, it's Danny Ainge's job to adjust the supporting cast and get Doc the type of players that fit his system. That's Danny's job.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Doc's stubbornness has cost us 2 'game 7's. We should have kept Thib instead.

I vividly remember Doc kept letting Ray constantly get owned by Kobe, while benching a guy named Tony Allen who was considered one of best perimeter defenders in the game.

To quibble: Ray defending Kobe didn't have anything to us losing in Game 7.  He was held to 6-for-24 shooting.

As for Doc, his play-calling is overrated.  His strength has always been keeping his team motivated, and staying out of the way of his veterans.  Unfortunately, it looks like the team is starting to tune him out.

Do you see Doc coaching a rebuilding C's team? I don't see it this time around. His personality fits best with vet laden teams.

I think Danny wants Doc to oversee any potential rebuild. 

I was very frustrated with Doc when he was coaching our crappy teams.  I guess I can't blame him, but he seemed more interested in winning than developing young guys. 

With the veteran team, I've been mostly happy with Doc.  This season has stunk, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I just picked one to reply to, not singling out this comment but for all those expressing frustruation, have you really thought through the alternatives?

Phil Jackson would not touch this team with 10 ft pole and I doubt he will go near a rebuilding situation in Seattle.  Miami or maybe the Knicks, someone like that.  And JVG?  You really think flipping Doc for JVG is going to improve this old team?

I don't see it.  I think we have a top tier coach and that we should focus on how to improve the talent.  I have had concern all season that PP and KG look old and nothing can change that.  We are stuck.  We have to ride them or blow it up.  I don't see the blow up happening mid season so we are what we are, a team whose key players (KG, PP) are past their prime and in decline.

And you can't help that by playing them less.  If KG and PP are not doing it at the level we need, its not like Jeff Green and Sullinger are going to carry the team.  Rondo can't carry the team either, he is good but not that good and the Bradley magic has seemed to wear off after just 6 or 7 games.

Again, we are what we are, what our record is, what are players are, whatever cliche you want to apply.  No coach is going to change that.

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Stupid thread is incredibly stupid.

Doc was coach of the year in Orlando.  People act like all he does is sit around and occasionally call plays for Rondo.  Doc is one of the best coaches in the league, and the spoiled idiocy of this thread makes me sick.

You can't do a whole lot when your team quits and doesn't run.  That's like trying to coach a football player who is afraid of being touched by other people or a soccer player who is obese and can't stand without prosthetic help.  You can't do it.

It's not (entirely) Doc's fault the team is lazy and jogs back on defense and only gets up for big games.  Rondo is supposed to be the team leader and all he does is play lazy uninterested defense and screw our offense up by not pushing the fastbreak. 

I was the biggest Rondo homer for years, and still am for "playoff Rondo".  However without semi-prime Ray, KG, and Pierce to lean on, this whole "lazy Rondo" and "playoff Rondo" Jackle and Hyde act just does not work.  We can not win with our best player giving only 60% effort 80% of the time.