Author Topic: Doc is overrated  (Read 15483 times)

Doc is overrated
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline chenaren

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Doc's stubbornness has cost us 2 'game 7's. We should have kept Thib instead.

I vividly remember Doc kept letting Ray constantly get owned by Kobe, while benching a guy named Tony Allen who was considered one of best perimeter defenders in the game.

Re: Doc is overrated
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I vividly remember Doc kept letting Ray constantly get owned by Kobe, while benching a guy named Tony Allen who was considered one of best perimeter defenders in the game.

To quibble: Ray defending Kobe didn't have anything to us losing in Game 7.  He was held to 6-for-24 shooting.

As for Doc, his play-calling is overrated.  His strength has always been keeping his team motivated, and staying out of the way of his veterans.  Unfortunately, it looks like the team is starting to tune him out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I have stretched my patience with doc to the fullest but i am now officially done with him. He needs to catch a plane straight to orlando and not even bother getting on the team plane to Logan International.  6 straight losses, blew a 27 point lead. great chokejob doc. Putting PP in iso at the end? are you kidding me? unbelivable. hot garbage.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »

Offline GronkSpike

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
What appalls me is that every time I watch a national/away broadcast he's always referred to as a Top 3 coach in the NBA, never understood why. I get the part that he's a player's coach and a nice guy but that shouldn't be enough by itself.

And what's really annoying is that because "he's such a nice person" he never takes heat from the media whether columns or sports radio...all-season free pass.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:13:53 PM by GronkSpike »

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

To quibble: Ray defending Kobe didn't have anything to us losing in Game 7.  He was held to 6-for-24 shooting.

As for Doc, his play-calling is overrated.  His strength has always been keeping his team motivated, and staying out of the way of his veterans.  Unfortunately, it looks like the team is starting to tune him out.

Do you see Doc coaching a rebuilding C's team? I don't see it this time around. His personality fits best with vet laden teams.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
As much as I'd like to disagree. I can't, these last few games, you can blame Doc. Poor coaching, Poor rotations, Poor Play Choices.
Blew a 27 point lead.
19-0 taking one, yes, ONE freaking timeout when we were up by 4 or 5. Any decent coach would've called a timeout when a 19 point lead is chipped to 10/12.
Ugh, I'm over Doc Rivers. Go coach your son in Nola, I'd take Thibs any day..

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think Doc's perfect, but I do think he's an elite NBA good coach.  People get on him for stubbornly adhering to his system, but that system has proven to be very effective for playoff success.  You don't scrap everything for a few regular season wins. 

The guys just need to do it better right now.  I do agree that it's on Doc to find a way to get them to do that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I don't think Doc's perfect, but I do think he's an elite NBA good coach.  People get on him for stubbornly adhering to his system, but that system has proven to be very effective for playoff success.  You don't scrap everything for a few regular season wins. 

The guys just need to do it better right now.  I do agree that it's on Doc to find a way to get them to do that.

If we keep losing like this, we're not even gonna make the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Lol, you're a funny guy man.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Doc is a good coach, he's just been handed a bunch of useless kids with pre-school attitudes and work ethics who simply cannot be bothered doing anything.

Only so many times you can jump down a person's throat...

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Still two and a half games ahead of the Sixers for that eighth spot. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:30 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Still two and a half games ahead of the Sixers for that eighth spot.

Yeah, 2 and a half, exactly, that's not a safe spot to be in.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:53:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, I love Doc's personality.  He does seem to be great at managing highly talented players.  That made him a great fit for the Big 3 era Celtics.

But this is a different team, and we're entering a different era.  While we could certainly do much worse than Doc as far as a coach to lead us into a rebuilding era, I'm not really sure he's the right guy for the job.  It does seem that after a while, almost every coach gets tuned out, and it's time for a fresh start.  We may be approaching that point with Doc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

And avoid an awful defeat at the hands of the hated Miami Heat.

Let's hope Bynum gets back soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:49:13 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The one glaring thing that doc has done the last 2 freakin losses is this...

He played KG and PP the ENTIRE 4TH QUARTER of both games, in a back to back situation and both times we lost...

He rode the dredded Pierce iso move on both ocassions and PP ends up with nothing.

He played pp and KG 23 straight minutes in 2OT loss to Atlanta in a regular season game...great coachin doc.

Doc is bestfriends with PP and KG so he wont admonish PP to the bench or even sit him a game or two but please atleast rrcognize that if the captain does not have it..then give it to someone else.