Poll

How would you rather see Pierce end his career?

Plays out this year and next on Celtics, who get swept in 1st round twice in a row; retires a Celtic.
17 (68%)
Gets traded to a contender before the Feb 21st deadline, competes for a championship this season and next, wins at least once, then retires.
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Paul Pierce Fans: Pick Your Poison  (Read 3239 times)

Re: Paul Pierce Fans: Pick Your Poison
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I care what happens to Pierce. He has done a lot for this franchise. He was the Celtics before KG got here. Gotta hold on to him and let him retire a Celtic. I would be sick to my stomach if Danny ever moved him for something like future picks and eric bledsoe.. Pierce was loyal all these years that the Celtics Sucked time to show some back to Paul.

I guess that's kind of what I'm getting at here, though.

How do we best repay Pierce's loyalty?  By holding onto him in the twilight of his career even though the team is on its way to playoff humiliation?  Or sending him to a team where he can contribute to a team with a real shot at going really deep into the playoffs this year and next?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 10:59:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Can't answer, because the first option assumes that the Celtics get swept in the first round, and while that's a possible scenario, it's not a definitive choice.

I mean, come on, this is asking: "Which of my exclusive views do you like best?", not which do we really want to happen.

I don't want either, personally, and I also don't want to see many more threads that don't allow one of the best and most loyal Celtics ever to be in a shooting funk of more than three games without being thrown out with the trash and verbally dismembered.

You can tell which people have stuck with this team through the real "lean" years, (when The Truth was the only thing worth tuning in for), and which haven't, and without using the words "jaded" or "fairweather", (shucks, too late), I'll let conclusions be drawn individually.

Other than that, I really have no opinion whatsoever. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
let him retire a Celtic.  preferably after this year with KG.  they don't have enough in the tank to get the job done with this team

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Can't answer, because the first option assumes that the Celtics get swept in the first round, and while that's a possible scenario, it's not a definitive choice.

I mean, come on, this is asking: "Which of my exclusive views do you like best?", not which do we really want to happen.

I don't want either, personally, and I also don't want to see many more threads that don't allow one of the best and most loyal Celtics ever to be in a shooting funk of more than three games without being thrown out with the trash and verbally dismembered.

You can tell which people have stuck with this team through the real "lean" years, (when The Truth was the only thing worth tuning in for), and which haven't, and without using the words "jaded" or "fairweather", (shucks, too late), I'll let conclusions be drawn individually.

The point of this thread is not to make predictions.  I'm not saying either thing will happen.

I'm saying, if you have to choose, which one do you choose?

Again, for me it comes down to an interesting dilemma: if you're a fan of Paul Pierce, would you rather see him retire a Celtic but not get to play any meaningful games for the rest of his career, or would you like to see him make another deep playoff run or two, albeit in a different uniform?  I think the answer to that question forces you to think hard about your priorities as a fan.

I'm not going to tell anybody which answer is right and which is wrong.  I have my opinion / preference.  But that doesn't make it right.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'd rather see him retire after THIS year's sweep, not next year...
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Out of the two options?

Trade him to a contender and let him win, with the stipulation that the contender cannot be the Lakers.  If I knew that keeping him would somehow lock me into two first-round exits, then I would trade him.

But if that team is the Lakers and they're guaranteed to win at least once ring, then I don't even consider it. 

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'd rather see him retire after THIS year's sweep, not next year...

Fair enough.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Out of the two options?

Trade him to a contender and let him win, with the stipulation that the contender cannot be the Lakers.  If I knew that keeping him would somehow lock me into two first-round exits, then I would trade him.

But if that team is the Lakers and they're guaranteed to win at least once ring, then I don't even consider it.

I kind of assumed people would rule out the Lakers as a "contender" seeing as their record is even worse than ours.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:35 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

TP!

We have been real spoiled these past 5 years, and when we excelled at being mediocre, Pierce was probably the only reason to watch. The 30 pt. game streak? That was a blast. It also bums me out so many people want to get rid of Pierce so fast. He is a Celtic and an all time great one at that.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The last thing Paul Pierce wants right now is to get traded to a "contender."  I can almost guarantee that.  I'm pretty sure the only thing on his mind right now is trying to work his way out of this deep funk and help his team make another playoff run.

If you want to talk about humiliating; I don't think anything would be more humiliating to him than to say, "look, Paul, you're done. You no longer have the ability to help this team be competitive.  We'll trade you to a contender for whatever we can get.  There you can be the third, fourth or fifth option on the team, and also act as a cheerleader as you get carried to another title."

I don't see Paul Pierce wanting that;  I don't see any glory in it for him. 

I don't know, maybe he is toast.  I'm willing to give him a shot to see if he can work his way out of this.  Right now, I'm just going to hold my breath (and my nose) until the All-Star break and hope the short rest can revive a couple of our old lions enough to make one last run.

Yeah, I know it seems like a long shot at this point, but that's all I've got.  I don't see some cure-all trade happening that's just wonderful for everybody involved. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson