Author Topic: the "when will Jeff Green score 20 in a game" thread...  (Read 9167 times)

Re: the "when will Jeff Green score 20 in a game" thread...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
As the OP of this thread, I want to be the first to congratulate Jeff Green for finally reaching the 20 point mark in NBA game this season. Good goin', Jeff!

And 20 right on the number. Too bad you demonstrated an allergic reaction to boxing out Faried in the 4th -- which basically cost us the game -- but hey, baby steps....
Baby steps. Maybe when you morph into LeBron James, sspense will finally be happy.

But the salary will still be a "buzzkill", I guess.

No one is expecting LeBron James.  Overreact much?
I don't know what the OP is expecting. Apparently, regular 20 points off the bench, playing like a 250 lbs PF, maybe something else that will come up later.

Maybe you should direct the "overreact much" part to him.

Nope, directed at the right place.

He's probably hoping for a bit more consistency.  Check out Green's game log.  There are plenty of games there in the single digits.  Plenty below 5 points even.  Hoping for more consistency isn't asking for LeBron James.

And while I don't share the Faried criticism, Jeff Green is 235 lbs.  Asking him to box out someone 15 pounds heavier once isn't all that unreasonable.

He isn't asking for LeBron.  The NBA has a wide range of players at a wide range of skill levels and a wide range of consistency levels.  There are other ways to make a point beyond sarcasm and extreme hyperbole, FYI.  Once again, overreact much?

Green made lots of great plays though.  He scored, he played great defense, he hustled.

He didn't grab all those boards.  Neither did KG.  Neither did Pierce.  Faried is one of the better rebounders in the league.

We are truly searching for angles to tear him down right now.

Sure I'd love if he was a better rebounder but yesterday he played a great game.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
As the OP of this thread, I want to be the first to congratulate Jeff Green for finally reaching the 20 point mark in NBA game this season. Good goin', Jeff!

And 20 right on the number. Too bad you demonstrated an allergic reaction to boxing out Faried in the 4th -- which basically cost us the game -- but hey, baby steps....
Baby steps. Maybe when you morph into LeBron James, sspense will finally be happy.

I don't know what the OP is expecting. Apparently, regular 20 points off the bench, playing like a 250 lbs PF, maybe something else that will come up later.

He's probably hoping for a bit more consistency.  Check out Green's game log.  There are plenty of games there in the single digits.  Plenty below 5 points even.  Hoping for more consistency isn't asking for LeBron James.

And while I don't share the Faried criticism, Jeff Green is 235 lbs.  Asking him to box out someone 15 pounds heavier once isn't all that unreasonable.

He isn't asking for LeBron.  The NBA has a wide range of players at a wide range of skill levels and a wide range of consistency levels.  There are other ways to make a point beyond sarcasm and extreme hyperbole, FYI.  Once again, overreact much?

Consistency. Green is averaging 16.4 points in his last 5 games along with making clutch shots and defensive stops. He's becoming the player people were hoping he would be, right around the time doctors predicted he would fully return to form after his heart surgery.  I don't know how people can still be unhappy with Green right now. Faried does one thing well, which is rebounding. During the 4th quarter last night, Green was not the one who cost us the game, he was the only player who was scoring consistently. Pierce and to a lesser extent a tired KG cost us the game with the poor shots they put up down the stretch instead of trusting Bradley and Green to score.

I wouldn't label a 5 game stretch as "consistency".  Let's hope it continues. 

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Over the past twelve games Green has averaged 14 points a game shooting around 54ish% from the field. His lowest point total was 8 and last night was his high at 20. Hes also produced around 4 to 5 rebounds (give or take here and there) each game. I dont know how much more consistency you could ask from the guy at this point.

The expectation of him being LeBron James really isnt much of an overreaction here.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Green made lots of great plays though.

He didn't grab all those boards.  Neither did KG.  Neither did Pierce.  Faried is one of the better rebounders in the league.

Sure I'd love if he was a better rebounder but yesterday he played a great game.

I mentioned in my earlier post that I don't share the Faried critique but I get the OPs point.  Faried is a tough player, no doubt.

Not searching for angles to tear him down.  Just hoping for more consistent play.  That's all.  I'd be glad to see this 5 game stretch become an 82 game stretch.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wouldn't label a 5 game stretch as "consistency".  Let's hope it continues.
Over the last month, Green averaged ~14 ppg in 30 minutes, while scoring in double figures in 10 of the 14 games.

I'm hoping this will become the norm for the remainder of the season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Over the past twelve games Green has averaged 14 points a game shooting around 54ish% from the field. His lowest point total was 8 and last night was his high at 20. Hes also produced around 4 to 5 rebounds (give or take here and there) each game. I dont know how much more consistency you could ask from the guy at this point.

The expectation of him being LeBron James really isnt much of an overreaction here.

Fantastic.  Let's continue to see it.  5 game stretches and 10 game stretches are nice and all, but he has had some grim 5 game and 10 game stretches too.  If it continues, that'd be great for all of us.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I mentioned in my earlier post that I don't share the Faried critique but I get the OPs point.  Faried is a tough player, no doubt.

Not searching for angles to tear him down.  Just hoping for more consistent play.  That's all.  I'd be glad to see this 5 game stretch become an 82 game stretch.

'5 game stretch' is underselling him.  He's been rock solid for nearly a month now.  Here's to hoping he keeps it up.

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Fantastic.  Let's continue to see it.  5 game stretches and 10 game stretches are nice and all, but he has had some grim 5 game and 10 game stretches too.  If it continues, that'd be great for all of us.
Yes, and coincidentally the bulk of these came in November, his first month of NBA play after having a surgery and missing an entire year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

As others have said, it's been a good month and he's getting better basically every game.  The last 5 games have been even better, but it's been longer than that.

But yeah, I agree I want him to do well all season long.

It just gets a bit tiring to see "oh congrats on the 20 points Jeff" but gotta throw in a dig there.

Not directing that at you, but the OP.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
Yes, and coincidentally the bulk of these came in November, his first month of NBA play after having a surgery and missing an entire year.

Do you truly think it was a coincidence or is that your Mensa level sarcasm in play again?

His stretch to begin January was pretty grim.

Once again, I hope his solid play continues.  I'm not ready to induct him into the Hall of Fame off of a solid stretch though (how's that for kozlodoev level sarcasm and hyperbole?). 

Let's keep watching and waiting.  I'm rooting for him, seems like a good kid.

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

As others have said, it's been a good month and he's getting better basically every game.  The last 5 games have been even better, but it's been longer than that.

But yeah, I agree I want him to do well all season long.

It just gets a bit tiring to see "oh congrats on the 20 points Jeff" but gotta throw in a dig there.

Not directing that at you, but the OP.

Understood, I see your point.  TP.

I think some just see his physical tools / gifts and his versatility and ceiling as a player and just hope for more.  He is very athletically gifted.  I like his play recently and hope for it to become a permanent.  I guess it's possible that it will.

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
he gets 20 and you all want to slay him for not getting rebounds against the leagues 10th best rebounder in faried....RIGHT!

lol...no one will ever be pleased with this guy.
when Paul wasn't doing anything, JG goes and hits 2 threes back to back (I'm not counting that goaltend, so for me he still only has 17)

Plus I'm not sure what you all want for consistency.
hes actually been playing much better since January. hels obviously on the up trend.
what is consistency? if he ends february avging 16/5 then what?

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Do you truly think it was a coincidence or is that your Mensa level sarcasm in play again?

Once again, I hope his solid play continues.  I'm not ready to induct him into the Hall of Fame off of a solid stretch though (how's that for kozlodoev level sarcasm and hyperbole?). 

the mention of sarcasm here is completely ironic. lol

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Sorry, that may have come out snappy when it wasn't supposed to be (to be fair, it's not too hard in a thread like this).

But I've seen encouraging signs after a pretty poor first month, which makes me think that he may have needed some time to get his legs under him after missing an entire year (and reportedly still having post-op symptoms).

So hopefully the stretch of decent play continues as the norm rather than the exception. 

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm really surprised that there's still so much sarcasm surrounding Jeff, and the dreaded contract. As the prior poster states, it is obvious Jeff is on the upswing.

Feb averages: 15 pts, .532 FG%, .471 3PT%, 4 RBs, 2 AST, 2 BLKS,1 STL

All the play of late, the upward trend, the youth & athleticism, ability to defend and the fact that he's flourishing with a larger role in the offense of late are all highly encouraging. What's not to be excited about?