Poll

Would you trade Pierce for Gay?

Yes
40 (53.3%)
No
35 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: February 04, 2013, 08:00:27 PM

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?  (Read 10918 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The only reason I see for not making this deal is that you want Pierce to retire a Celtic.

This team does not look like they are going to compete for a title right now, if that is the case we need to make move that could help us in the future. This is one such move.

I think that's fair, unless there's a better one out there. That Gay and Rondo are friends doesn't hurt either, considering a grumpy Rondo disinterested in a true rebuild would be a less valuable Rondo.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I honestly cannot believe the majority are
saying yes. We're talking about the Captain of
this team, retiring a Celtic. We're talking
about a team that you should no by now is not
to be completely judged until later in the season.
I am shocked.. Pierce is an icon.
Obviously I said no.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Absolutely. I'd love for this to happen.

Nah. He's not worth that money. He will cripple your salary cap. Pierce to Gay is a downgrade.

You don't pay guys nearly 20 mill a year when they're not even a top 20 player.

I changed my mind. I'd do it.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Pierce for Gay straight up makes sense for both teams.  I have thought this for the last couple of years. Effectively,  the c's are paying about 26 mil this year at the small forward position (green,  pierce). Pierce is paid like a Max player, but he requires a 10 mil backup.  Get Gay and there is no need for green.  Gay can play the entire game effectively. 

Additionally,  Gay is better than Josh Smith.  Smith is going to want Max money.  If I am paying the Max for a b+ player,  I would rather spend it on Gay.  Plus he is friend if Rondo too. That will help with the transition

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Additionally,  Gay is better than Josh Smith.

Wut.

Man, you realize Gay is just a slightly better version of Jeff Green.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
You complain about Green's inconsistency and now you want Gay?  Pierce is still way better than Gay even in his slump.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:52:24 PM by CelticConcourse »
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Stupid. You complain about Green's inconsistency and now you want Gay?  Pierce is still way better than Gay even in his slump.

Nice to meet you too -- welcome to the blog.

Where did I call Green inconsistent? He's not - he's consistently bad, thus my tongue-in-cheek thread about his inability to focus long enough to net 20 pts in a single game this year.

As for your fantasy about Pierce being way better than Gay, I think you're missing the point: if the Cs don't trade Pierce this season, there's not likely to be any Gay OR Pierce OR any player of value in return for him on the Celtics roster.

I'm looking at one viable option. Gay may not be the best Ainge can get for Pierce, but he also may be.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Stupid. You complain about Green's inconsistency and now you want Gay?  Pierce is still way better than Gay even in his slump.

Nice to meet you too -- welcome to the blog.

Where did I call Green inconsistent? He's not - he's consistently bad, thus my tongue-in-cheek thread about his inability to focus long enough to net 20 pts in a single game this year.

As for your fantasy about Pierce being way better than Gay, I think you're missing the point: if the Cs don't trade Pierce this season, there's not likely to be any Gay OR Pierce OR any player of value in return for him on the Celtics roster.

I'm looking at one viable option. Gay may not be the best Ainge can get for Pierce, but he also may be.

I'm sorry, that wasn't directed to you, and thanks for the welcome.

Pierce is an expiring contract that Memphis may want, but I don't think Pierce is gonna go, who knows! Last year, we tried.

I think Gay is a poor player who chucks still, and if anyone, we should trade for Gasol, but that's unlikely too.

Green can be a starting SF in the future, and Gay will only block Greens development for the third time in his career.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us is thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us are thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us are thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us is thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

What message would that send Rondo? The one telling him to move to a better franchise like San Antonio which respects its vets.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Obviously I said no.

What message would that send Rondo? The one telling him to move to a better franchise like San Antonio which respects its vets.

Bro, this is a business. Rondo has already been on the trading block himself and he knows this is a business. You can't worry about personal feelings you have to do what's best for the team point blank period.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Additionally,  Gay is better than Josh Smith.

Wut.

Man, you realize Gay is just a slightly better version of Jeff Green.

U need to watch more Memphis games. Just comparing stats won't give u the complete story.  I see where other people make similar comments. Making that statement is overrating Jeff green,  and under rating Gay.  They both have similar personalities,  but that's it.  Neither has pierces "no matter what u think I am the best player in the league" attitude. They both try to fit into a team and that's their biggest fault.  From a skill comparison Gay can do it all whereas I see green as a good player with an incomplete offensive game.  He has a very limited mid range game.  It's either long jumper or drive directly to hoop.  No pull up. He also is weak handling the ball.  If Gay played with Rondo,  his passive nature would not be an issue.  Because of their friendship,  i think Rondo would bring the best out of him

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Obviously I said no.

Rondo would be happy to have Gay traded to the Cs. As for a message, one I'd love the Cs to get across to him somehow (though I don't think trading Pierce would really provide):

Play hard all the time, not just when you feel like it, or we'll trade you to Milwaukee or Indiana or somewhere else you don't wanna go.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)