Poll

Would you trade Pierce for Gay?

Yes
40 (53.3%)
No
35 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: February 04, 2013, 08:00:27 PM

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?  (Read 10937 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 02:09:13 AM »

Offline Celticfankb

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 17
I doubt most of you, who are bashing Gay have actually seen him play consistently. Stats don't always tell the story. Gay plays in a system that is centered on low post offense. Gay is a solid NBA player. He may not be a superstar but how many superstars are there in the league?

I think trading Pierce for Gay is a steal. Memphis cap situation is ripe for a deal such as this. It is a situation that doesn't always come around and the C's must take advantage of it.

Pierce doesn't have much longer and if Danny has a chance to trade him for a younger comparable player, who has the potential to get better, you have to pull the trigger. The way free agency is going now, there is no guarantee that we will be in position to get a superstar or if there will even be a superstar to get for that matter.

Gay gives us an asset! He doesn't have to be the MAN! He's just a piece of the puzzle. Gay could be the 1st guy added to the new big 3. We should look at it in those terms. I think he could fit in a Pierce role with two other guys helping carrying the load just like Allen and Garnett did.

We do have assets in Bradley, Sullinger and to a degree Green and Lee, depending on what a team needs are. We could possibly trade a combination of those guys for the 3rd member of the new Big 3.

Overall in the big picture Gay's addition would be great for the C's. Danny Ainge job is to ensure that the C's are prepared to move forward in the now and in the future and Gay helps with the now and the future.
KB

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 04:21:07 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
If you want to go purely by stats you could say KG is not worth the money he's making his entire stay in Boston.  Gay has talent, but there's a lot of talent in MEM so the stats get distributed.

No, no you couldn't. Stats show his defense is top 10 in the league. Maybe not box score stats but the more complex metrics do.

I doubt most of you, who are bashing Gay have actually seen him play consistently. Stats don't always tell the story. Gay plays in a system that is centered on low post offense. Gay is a solid NBA player. He may not be a superstar but how many superstars are there in the league?

Don't think many of us think Gay is bad. The biggest criticism of him is his salary. He's not a max player pretty much any way you look @ him. I am 100% behind the trade. I also think he's overpaid.

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:44 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a2pw4ld

Pierce and Bass to Clippers
Odom,Butler and filler to Grizzlies
Gay and Bledsoe to Celtics

Clippers lose their backup PG that would've left at the end of the season, but gain a playoff proven closer and solid scoring PF for their system lacking shooting bigs.

Memphis save 8 mil next year, and another 16 the following, while getting picks from Boston.

Bledsoe fills the role of Rondo until a return, and either replaces him entirely or becomes trade bait.
Gay becomes the franchise SF and shows how athleticism with a strong PG can keep this team in contention and/or at least entertaining to watch
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If you want to go purely by stats you could say KG is not worth the money he's making his entire stay in Boston.  Gay has talent, but there's a lot of talent in MEM so the stats get distributed.

No, no you couldn't. Stats show his defense is top 10 in the league. Maybe not box score stats but the more complex metrics do.

Don't think many of us think Gay is bad. The biggest criticism of him is his salary. He's not a max player pretty much any way you look @ him. I am 100% behind the trade. I also think he's overpaid.

You're right, KG shows nicely in the stats.

I think after yesterday's game people are ready to move JG to the PF slot.  But Miami is an anomaly and Green is much better at the 3.  So even after Pierce goes, frontline 3 is not a position of need--which is one more reason to get involved in the Gay deal only if it's a three way thing and needs a pick or other asset sweetener.

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I voted no because Gay doesn't make Boston a contender (but improves them) and his salary is bigger and longer and thus more of a problem for flexibility.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I voted no because Gay doesn't make Boston a contender (but improves them) and his salary is bigger and longer and thus more of a problem for flexibility.

I dont see how trading Pierce for Gay improves Boston. Maybe for the long term you can say its possible but then you're dealing with a long max contract.

Pierce is down to 42% shooting and 35% from three but averaging 18.7 points 6 boards and 4 assists per game. Not so great in the shooting department...

At the max, Rudy is at 40% shooting and 30% from three! Also averagin less assists about the same rebounds and the same amount of steals and turnovers.

Pierce is having a better year than Gay. And even though he has lost a step he is still a clutch performer who happens to be in a current funk of sorts. Also, Gay is younger and would be able to play more minutes, taking even more minutes away from Jeff Green.

I dont see how that makes us better with Rudy instead of Pierce

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rudy Gay is having his worse half season since his rookie year. I don't think calling him a 40% shooter is fair, he's been far better the rest of his career.

It is clear that he doesn't fit with Memphis and how they run things now.

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Rudy Gay is having his worse half season since his rookie year. I don't think calling him a 40% shooter is fair, he's been far better the rest of his career.

I dont think calling Pierce a 42% shooter is fair either but currently thats what he is.

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I dont think calling Pierce a 42% shooter is fair either but currently thats what he is.
a 42% shooter this season, not for his career. Just like Gay its not fair to either player to use those numbers as a predictor of future performance. Shooting percentages fluctuate a lot year to year for players.

With the caveat is that Gay is in his prime, Pierce shouldn't be expected to match his overall career numbers because of his age going forward.

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
A straight up Pierce for Gay trade would be the best case scenario in terms of return value. I'd absolutely do it.

That said, I don't think Memphis would and I think the Celts pretty much stand pat.

We just beat Miami without Rondo. We beat the Knicks without him. We beat OKC this year (best record in the league). Let's give it 5 games and see how the chemistry looks.

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
A straight up Pierce for Gay trade would be the best case scenario in terms of return value. I'd absolutely do it.

That said, I don't think Memphis would and I think the Celts pretty much stand pat.

We just beat Miami without Rondo. We beat the Knicks without him. We beat OKC this year (best record in the league). Let's give it 5 games and see how the chemistry looks.

I think Ainge will give it at least 5 at this point, while working the phones to keep his options open.

The question is simple: can the Cs beat each of those three teams 4 times in 7 games each.... in a row? It seems pretty dubious, but it's interesting to see how well they've played without Rondo.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
So trade Pierce for a guy making 18m next year and 19.5m the year after that?

A guy who is ranked 86th in efficiency rating (Pierce is 43rd)?

Who has a PER of 14 this season?  (Pierce 18.5)

Who is currently worth about .081 Win Shares / 48?  (Pierce is worth 50% more.)

Who's career comparable is Keith Van Horn?

What's the upside here?  We're worse this year ... then we get to shell out max money for Gay for 2 more years where he can play slightly above average (if we're lucky)?

No thanks.

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Never trade my captain.         

Pierce should retire a Celtic

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Never trade my captain.         

Comments like this make me sick to my stomach. You people have to look at the bigger picture and not the one that means absolutely nothing.

Pierces number will be hung regardless and always be remembered. He doesn't need to retire a celtic for that to happen, it means nothing.

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Never trade my captain.         

Comments like this make me sick to my stomach. You people have to look at the bigger picture and not the one that means absolutely nothing.

Pierces number will be hung regardless and always be remembered. He doesn't need to retire a celtic for that to happen, it means nothing.

It makes me sick to think that people would want to trade our captain.