Author Topic: Trading Rondo, looking back at Jason Kidd's history  (Read 1223 times)

Trading Rondo, looking back at Jason Kidd's history
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
After the Cs loss last night I sat pondering their future as a team. My first though is will they trade Rondo?

My first gut instinct is Yes, trade him and use the incoming talent and picks to build a new team. This lead me to try to find a historical comparison to see what the Cs should expect in return.

The player I think best compares to Rondo is Jason Kidd. Though physically very different stylistically and statistically they are very similar.

Kidd has been traded a few times in his career

1. Dallas to Phoenix (1996-97)
    Dallas received: Mike Finley, AC green and Sam Cassell

2.Phoenix to New Jersey (2001) at age 27
    Phoenix received: Stephen Marbury and cap filler

3.New Jersey to Dallas (2008) at age 35
    Nets received: Devin Harris, 2 1st rd picks and filler

This comparison leads me to the conclusion that on the trade market Rondo should fetch at least a solid young starting PG and 2-3 1st round picks.

With all that said looking into the Kidd comparison made me relies something.

WE ARE NUTS TO TRADE RONDO!!!

Every time Kidd was traded the team he went to got better and the team he left struggled. Both Rondo and Kids ability to facilitate and make the players around him better is a talent that few NBA players have.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Trading Rondo, looking back at Jason Kidd's history
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Unfortunately, as great as Jason Kidd was, he never led a team to success on his own.
Same will probably be the case with Rondo. It's the fate of a non-scoring PG.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Unfortunately, as great as Jason Kidd was, he never led a team to success on his own.
Same will probably be the case with Rondo. It's the fate of a non-scoring PG.

ummm Kidd lead te Nets to 2 straight finals appearances with his best teammate being Kmart. He then made it to the finals a 3rd time finally winning with a better supporting cast.

There are no players that can carry a team to a championship by themselves .

What did PP do when he was the only all-star?

What did Kobe do the 2 years after shaq left?

What happened to those Wade led Miami teams after Shaq left?

What did KG win before coming to boston ?

So sick of hearing that Rondo isn't a great leader and he can't carry the c's anywhere . He is an absolute beast in the playoffs.

Did you watch the 4th quarter against NYK last night? He almost won the game by himself .

From about the 8 min mark on the play by play goes something like...

Rondo 18ft jumper
Rondo great hustle rebound finding Bradley on the break
Rondo assist to KG
Rondo running hook through the lane
Rondo its 2 ft's
Rondo takes charge on Melo
Rondo hits another 15 foot j

If I am trading Rondo I better be getting back another top 20 player .

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Kidd lead Jersey to back-to-back Finals, but that team wasn't very good.   It was a time when the Eastern conference was comically terrible... dubbed the "Leastern Conference". 

It was pretty understood at the time that whatever team came out of the East was fodder for the West coast... whether it was Kidd's Nets or an extremely overrated Iverson 76ers.  The 5 best players in the league played out West.

Those two years the Nets made the finals, they were not serious title contenders.  One year they won 49 games.  That's pretty weak for a Finals team.  There were 6 teams in the West coast that had better records.  Spurs, Lakers, Kings, Mavericks would have eaten them alive.  And take into consideration that the Nets wouldn't have even won 49 games had they been playing in the West (harder schedule)... and there might be a couple additional Western teams who won more than 49 had they been playing in the East (easier schedule).   It was so bad in the Eastern conference, that at one point the craptastic Walker/Pierce Celtics actually made the East Finals. 

Now I guess some people like to think that if a team makes it that far it's a contender regardless of the circumstances.  I disagree.  Philly wasn't a contender when they made the Finals and the Nets weren't a contender when they made the Finals.

SO yeah i guess theoretically if Rondo ends up on the perfect team that makes up for his weaknesses, and league ends up tragically lopsided again where all the contenders are in the opposite conference... then yeah... maybe Rondo leads a team to the Finals.  BUt I doubt it.   Rondo would need a couple hall of fame players around him to get that far again. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:49:45 PM by LarBrd33 »