Author Topic: We need a new 2 guard...  (Read 2669 times)

We need a new 2 guard...
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think Danny was right on track last year when he tried to get mayo for ray.  Imagine our team if we had mayo in lieu of terry/lee.

We need a two who can slash and get to the rim when our offense clamps up as pierce can no long do that from the three spot.

I think we need to throw some combo of terry, lee, green, Barbosa, and/or Bradley (if we have to) to get someone like mayo, derozon, or affalo. Or even a three that can play the two like iggy.

I think this would totally help the offense with our current personnel.  And then get a decent big to help kg.  get Darko back!!! :)

If the sg route does not work, then throw those players with bass ia go after pau to give us a post man to dump down to when the offense stalls out.  I just think the two guars thing is more realistic of happening.

Re: We need a new 2 guard...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:58 AM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I think Danny was right on track last year when he tried to get mayo for ray.  Imagine our team if we had mayo in lieu of terry/lee.

We need a two who can slash and get to the rim when our offense clamps up as pierce can no long do that from the three spot.

I think we need to throw some combo of terry, lee, green, Barbosa, and/or Bradley (if we have to) to get someone like mayo, derozon, or affalo. Or even a three that can play the two like iggy.

I think this would totally help the offense with our current personnel.  And then get a decent big to help kg.  get Darko back!!! :)

If the sg route does not work, then throw those players with bass ia go after pau to give us a post man to dump down to when the offense stalls out.  I just think the two guars thing is more realistic of happening.

I'm with you, man.  I mentioned the same thing in my We need help on offense....Badly thread.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nobody is trading us a player like Derozan, Afflalo, or Mayo for Terry / Lee, or really anybody on our roster outside the Big 3.  Not that those guys are stars or anything, but we just don't have much value to trade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ainge is a clown. That about sums it up...

I'm getting p---ed about this season as much as anyone. Truth is, though, we are probably 5 years out from being legitimately relevant again.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:15:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Nobody is trading us a player like Derozan, Afflalo, or Mayo for Terry / Lee, or really anybody on our roster outside the Big 3.  Not that those guys are stars or anything, but we just don't have much value to trade.

It's hard to qualify our 3 best players as "Big." I trust KG the most, and he isn't leading a team anywhere... he's just kicking ass beyond what is biologically rational.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I'm getting p---ed about this season as much as anyone. Truth is, though, we are probably 5 years out from being legitimately relevant again.

Can you honestly pin the blame on Ainge though?

Remember he really didn't have a lot to work with this off season - basically all he had was a midlevel exception, and outside of that we could only use our bird rights to resign existing guys.

Somehow he managed to use the nothing that he had to work with to bring in a strong rebounder and low post player (Sullinger), a perennial 6th man of the year (Terry), a solid and consistent big (Bass), an athletic and versatile guard (Lee), a long and talented swing man (Green) and a volume scorer (Barbosa) and an athletic and efficient big man (Wilcox).

There was really no way for Danny to know that Terry would struggle, Bass would become consistently useless, Wilcox would get hurt and Lee would struggle for half the season.

The only things he could have had foresight over:

1. Green being average and inconsistent
His history has always been this way, so he could have predicted it.  Even still we had no money to sign anybody else with, and we needed a backup for Pierce, so Danny pretty much had no choice in this.

2. Barbosa not playing
He has control over this, but I doubt playing Barbosa 20 minute a game would change the outcome of this team TBH.

So at the end of the day you can't really blame Danny - he absolutely did the best he could have with what was availlable to him. 

You can't blame Doc either because he's just there to motivate and direct the team, he can't go out there and play for them.

No...this blame is squarely on the players, and nobody else.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
JET will come around. But lately I've been wishing we could trade him Ed Monix style for a washing machine to the Flint Michigan Tropics.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's hard to qualify our 3 best players as "Big." I trust KG the most, and he isn't leading a team anywhere... he's just kicking ass beyond what is biologically rational.

Right, true.  I call them Big 3 at this point more out of habit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:30:41 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Maybe we should go after Marcus Thornton who is a flat out scorer.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
There was a story that Danny was interested in JJ Redick.  I would back that idea.  He seems to be able to shoot the 3 ball.  Pretty good defender, hard worker, would fit in.  He is a little bit bigger as well to guard the larger 2's.

In my opinion we don't have the size and strength we need to defend big 2/3 wing players.  AB is great, but he is undersized to guard the taller players.  I hate to say it but we miss Peaches, at least on the D side.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Maybe we should go after Marcus Thornton who is a flat out scorer.
Good idea. Maybe Courtney Lee + a first round pick.

M.Thornton might be available with all the problems going on in Sacramento this year. Only getting 25mpg. Struggling to fit in with their other perimeter players.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Can you honestly pin the blame on Ainge though?

Remember he really didn't have a lot to work with this off season - basically all he had was a midlevel exception, and outside of that we could only use our bird rights to resign existing guys.

Somehow he managed to use the nothing that he had to work with to bring in a strong rebounder and low post player (Sullinger), a perennial 6th man of the year (Terry), a solid and consistent big (Bass), an athletic and versatile guard (Lee), a long and talented swing man (Green) and a volume scorer (Barbosa) and an athletic and efficient big man (Wilcox).

There was really no way for Danny to know that Terry would struggle, Bass would become consistently useless, Wilcox would get hurt and Lee would struggle for half the season.

The only things he could have had foresight over:

1. Green being average and inconsistent
His history has always been this way, so he could have predicted it.  Even still we had no money to sign anybody else with, and we needed a backup for Pierce, so Danny pretty much had no choice in this.

2. Barbosa not playing
He has control over this, but I doubt playing Barbosa 20 minute a game would change the outcome of this team TBH.

So at the end of the day you can't really blame Danny - he absolutely did the best he could have with what was availlable to him. 

You can't blame Doc either because he's just there to motivate and direct the team, he can't go out there and play for them.

No...this blame is squarely on the players, and nobody else.

I'm on board with your argument, all good points. I just have a serious, long-standing dislike for Ainge that reveals its head every now and then. :)

I do believe Green was major a mistake, though, both in the short-term and long. Think a lot of us could see that from a mile away. Fair to say we may not -as homers typically do-being short-sighted in forming such an opinion of him.

Strongly dislike the way he broadcasts his willingless to trade away anyone, anytime. Definitely not good for morale and, I'd argue, serves no purpose... simply poor form. Not even sure why he takes this approach-scare tactics? But it's not working.