Author Topic: Marc Stein: Cs 'have ramped up their interest' in Reddick  (Read 19128 times)

Re: Marc Stein: Cs 'have ramped up their interest' in Reddick
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not sure how much value Boston would get out of Redick's passing.

I thought the same when Jason Terry came here and he clearly hasn't been given the opportunities within the offense to do that. The C's offense doesn't seem conducive to getting the best out of Redick's ball-handling and passing skills.

I think Redick would be a better fit than Terry, just because Redick has more experience playing effectively off the ball.  You are right that his passing and ball handling won't be used that much, but it still will be nice to have someone else who can swing the ball and make the right pass.

I still can't wrap my head around what you would trade for him.  I guess the C's could move one of their mid-level type guys (Bass, Terry, Lee), and perhaps a pick or Melo to sweeten the pot. 

The other scenario is trying to work Redick into a bigger deal for someone like Pierce or Rondo. 

While it is still tough to imagine the C's trading Pierce, it could make some sense if they were to trade him for a big man, and then try to get Redick back as part of the package to replace him. 

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I was against the idea a few days ago when it first came up but I am coming around to it now.

I do think Redick is the better backup SG but I thought Lee's superior defense would have been more useful in matching up against D-Wade and the Miami Heat (which I feel is key to beating to Miami). I really liked having both Bradley and Lee to throw at Wade.

But now, now I think I undervalued just how much Boston needs extra shooters offensively. Even if Redick is not quite as useful against Miami as Lee was, Redick is a necessary and the superior weapon to have. 

So I am in. A Redick for Lee based trade. Do it.

I'm not. I still think that Lee's defense will be more instrumental, and I think Lee plays offense well enough that I don't think Redick will bring a lot to our team. Much of Lee's problems offensively are opportunity issues, something I'm not sure Redick will solve. Redick will come here, have a limited role, less opportunities to use his shooting abilities, while not impacting the game defensively as Lee can.

A Lee for Redick trade just doesn't look good to me. We need someone like Lee. Given, we could use someone like Redick too, but I don't think we need to get one at the expense of Lee. Terry should be able to provide the Redick role, but for some reason he's missing his shots at the moment. He started the year very hot, so I find it hard to believe that he'll continue to struggle this way, particularly when we need him the most late in the year.

What about a Redick + Harrington for Bass and Terry and a pick? Would they go for that?

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he would be a good fit as the co-sg with Bradley.  It creates the good defensive/offensive combo switch.

I would give up Lee, not Terry.

Let Reddick take the Ray role and free Terry to be more of a ball handler/creator.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
What about a Redick + Harrington for Bass and Terry and a pick? Would they go for that?
Al Harrington still hasn't played yet this season. I would be worried about what type of shape he is and whether he can be relied upon for the playoffs. Not the more reliable of performers even without the injury.

It's a shame because A.Harrington was coming off his best year in about 5-6 years. I would have loved to have seen Boston make a run at him after the Dwight Howard trade because I think his scoring / shooting ability at PF and ability to create mismatches would have been hugely valuable for this Celtics team.

But, I wouldn't take the chance on his health at this point. Too concerned about the late season return, his conditioning post-return and with his track record of inconsistency in the past. Too large a risk for me.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Al Harrington still hasn't played yet this season. I would be worried about what type of shape he is and whether he can be relied upon for the playoffs. Not the more reliable of performers even without the injury.

It's a shame because A.Harrington was coming off his best year in about 5-6 years. I would have loved to have seen Boston make a run at him after the Dwight Howard trade because I think his scoring / shooting ability at PF and ability to create mismatches would have been hugely valuable for this Celtics team.

But, I wouldn't take the chance on his health at this point. Too concerned about the late season return, his conditioning post-return and with his track record of inconsistency in the past. Too large a risk for me.

Ah crap, didn't notice he wasn't playing this year... no wonder I didn't have much of an opinion on how he's been playing lol.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I thought the same when Jason Terry came here and he clearly hasn't been given the opportunities within the offense to do that. The C's offense doesn't seem conducive to getting the best out of Redick's ball-handling and passing skills.

I think Redick would be a better fit than Terry, just because Redick has more experience playing effectively off the ball.  You are right that his passing and ball handling won't be used that much, but it still will be nice to have someone else who can swing the ball and make the right pass.

I still can't wrap my head around what you would trade for him.  I guess the C's could move one of their mid-level type guys (Bass, Terry, Lee), and perhaps a pick or Melo to sweeten the pot. 

The other scenario is trying to work Redick into a bigger deal for someone like Pierce or Rondo. 

While it is still tough to imagine the C's trading Pierce, it could make some sense if they were to trade him for a big man, and then try to get Redick back as part of the package to replace him.

Tough to see the package for Rondo. Reddick, Vucevic and Nelson for Rondo, Lee or Terry, and Melo?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a46hkn3

And Bass makes no sense for them, neither does Lee really. Green (wishful thinking)?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How about

Orl sends: JJ Redick and BBD

Bos sends: Lee and Bass

I want my baby back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv3I6mz0tBY

At least he would already know the defensive rotations and can guard the center spot off the bench ...

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
How about

I want my baby back

At least he would already know the defensive rotations and can guard the center spot off the bench ...

Hey Otis -- my man! How about you send me a good PF and a good SG for an average SG and a below average PF? Ya ya.. i know already traded those PFs once and Baby's kicking tail for you, but c'mon man.....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
How about

I want my baby back

I actually think you could be on to something. Orlando won't want Bass back, but Davis is a bad contract for Orlando. They are better off freeing up that cap space and building around the Nicholson/Vucevic frontcourt.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How about

I want my baby back

Bring Baby back?!?

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Tough to see the package for Rondo. Reddick, Vucevic and Nelson for Rondo, Lee or Terry, and Melo?

And Bass makes no sense for them, neither does Lee really. Green (wishful thinking)?

I was thinking more with the Magic being the third team in a deal. 

Something like:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7hwonp

With the C's also getting a first rounder from the Magic.

And yes, I absolutely believe that Gay is still on the market.  The reason Memphis made the trade when they did, was so that they could have some leverage to trade Gay without having to worry as much about the luxury tax this year. 

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Personally not a huge fan of Redick and don't see why the Celtics would be targeting him unless the real reason is to discard one of their recent 2-guard signings that they feel do not fit into the team scheme, philosophy or locker room.

In this case, swapping Lee or Terry for Redick makes sense because Redick plays a similar game to Lee but can also handle the ball well enough to run an offense to be the PG when Rondo sits.

Another good thing, it gets the C's out from under all the extra years they tacked on to Lee or Terry's contracts. Redick is an unrestricted free agent next year.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Something like:

And yes, I absolutely believe that Gay is still on the market.  The reason Memphis made the trade when they did, was so that they could have some leverage to trade Gay without having to worry as much about the luxury tax this year.

giving up the captain for redeick and a draft pick? no thanks....

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Of course, what would make the most sense is if Danny could convince the Magic to take Terry and a protected first rounder for Redick.  Its probably wishful thinking...but that doesn't mean this whole rumor isn't based on wishful thinking on danny's part anyways.

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Something like:

So do I. But ouch -- that's a pretty light haul for Pierce, particularly if that pick were in this years draft, and considering Reddick's pending UFA status.

I'd be more interested if Vucevic were in there over Roberts. He's not great, but a better player and asset.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)