Author Topic: Fab Melo D-League thread  (Read 26491 times)

Fab Melo D-League thread
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rather than have a bunch of game thread style threads, I'm going to post all my Fab Melo updates in one thread.

Sure, D-League production doesn't always translate as some of you love to remind me (thanks...). But at the very least not struggling in the D-League is a good sign and surely excelling can't be bad either. Just look at Jajuan Johnson, who isn't even starting with his .397 FG% for 10 PPG and was already traded once (seems to have come around in the last game though).

Hopefully his stint in the D-League ends with a great career with the Celtics.

Re: Fab Melo D-League thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:09:06 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Red Claws vs. Springfield Armor

First, having looked through the season averages for Fab, I noticed his minutes are pretty low at 28.4 MPG but those are pretty productive minutes. On top of that, his averages include games before he really started stepping it up to another level. Keep that in mind when comparing his averages with other D-Leaguers.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130124/MNESPG/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200163

[be warned: spoilers ensue]

Speaking of limited minutes, plagued with foul trouble, Fab Melo logged 25 minutes, most in the second half (around the 1 hour 29 minute mark on the youtube video)in this game.

But those minutes were, again, very productive. After sitting out most of the first half, 13 points and 9 rebounds was Fab Melo along with 2 blocks.

Melo brought a lot of energy in the 2nd half, looking for the basketball (for the oop and in the post alike) and hounding after the offensive glass on top of his usual solid production.

Melo's match up tonight is one Willie Reed, a 6'9-6'10 big who is apparently a raw athlete (per nbadraft.net). However, Reed is said to be good defensively and, with the poor help defense (in my opinion) by the rest of the Red Claws, a threat off the ball. My impression of the game is Fab Melo won the match up on both ends of the floor again.

He seems to be utilizing his limited offensive arsenal of 2 moves - jump shots and the right hand hook - with even more confidence and effectiveness than last game. He looked for post up opportunities actively.

Once again Fab Melo benefited from playing with recently acquired pass-first 5'9 point guard Andre Barrett, finishing 2 alley-oops. Overall another efficient, controlled, solid offensive game.

Defensively, again, mistakes are minimal and a huge impact was made. His teammates' mistakes are also covered. He not only has 2 blocks in 25 minutes but made a lot of off-stat-sheet impact, block attempts and non-block attempts alike (such as this).

With 9 rebounds in 25 minutes, this is a very good rebounding performance by Melo. I think most of the defensive rebounds I feel Melo should have gotten he did get and, in addition, he was also very active on the offensive glass (with almost half his rebounds coming from there) (some online draft scouting reports say he was a good offensive rebounder in college despite being overall a poor rebounder).

Melo also logged 2 assists. It appears they are running things through Fab Melo even more now with some plays having Fab Melo making passes from inside the arc rather than being just a finisher. Melo is a solid passer, especially for his size, and I thought the change definitely helped the Red Claws (by making Melo even less of an offensive liability) and gave Melo even more opportunity to make an impact on the offensive end. Melo also showed the ability to make plays out of the post.

As for the game, the Red Claws unfortunately fell to the Armor thanks to an onslaught by Shengelia, Nets 2nd round pick this year, who finished with 39 points and almost 20 rebounds, including this dunk on Fab Melo (but with Melo immediately getting back at the Armor with an alley-oop dunk on the other end right after).

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:22 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Needs to work on 5 personal fouls in 25 minutes.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
25 min. he must have stamina issues too, would be fine though if he is called up as he won't be playing major minutes.

Keep in mind that JJJ is a better D league rebounder than Melo.

Melo is a project, he has potential, he isn't a piece of garbage.  He is just raw.   We were so desperate when we were playing Collins this year that if he was ready they would have brought him up.   He is a project who must improve his hands, his defense, stamina and strength.   This is in addition to maybe a go to move in the post. 

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
25 min. he must have stamina issues too, would be fine though if he is called up as he won't be playing major minutes.

Melo is a project, he has potential, he isn't a piece of garbage. He is just raw.    We were so desperate when we were playing Collins this year that if he was ready they would have brought him up.   He is a project who must improve his hands, his defense, stamina and strength.   This is in addition to maybe a go to move in the post.

TP

The way some talk about him around here, you'd think he is.

Took the thought right out of my mind. I think I had that thought subconsciously and was circling around it.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Melo is a project, he has potential, he isn't a piece of garbage.  He is just raw.   We were so desperate when we were playing Collins this year that if he was ready they would have brought him up.   He is a project who must improve his hands, his defense, stamina and strength.   This is in addition to maybe a go to move in the post.

First, thanks for the thread on melo. Tp for you. I like watching rookies for the celtics, a sort of glimpse into the future....we hope.

Next, yes melo is very very raw. His has physical gifts, but he doesn't seem to really grasp basics of the game well. If he is teachable, this is a solvable problem.

For example, watch his positioning on defense. He is a bit better at boxing out now, but much of his time is spent watching the ball handler so he can position himself for a block, not rebounds.

Melo doesn't have good positioning at all for rebounds. In contract, watch sully play. He plays for rebounds and knows where to position himself.

At times, melo seems to almost be playing a zone defense under the basket. He simply stands in the paint. This may be because of the zone at Syracuse, I don't know.

In any case, melo is improving his offense a LOT and his boxing out, I think he will be a decent nba center...how good? I can't tell. But hopefully in the top 1/4 of all centers....I hope. :) :
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Can we break down "raw" a little? I read a lot about how "raw" Fab is , but not in which ways he is raw.

I don't believe Fab is raw like how DeSagana Diop was when he was a rookie, big, athletic, no offensive ability nor feel for the game. Fab seem more "raw" experience wise. The other tools seem to be there.

From what I have seen and read from DLeague scouting reports, Fab has great lateral movement and a high basketball IQ. This translates into following his defensive assignments AND being able to make great defensive help plays. For example, making the correct play on a pick and role. Then having the lateral quickness to cut off a baseline drive. This is rare for any rookie 7 footer outside of Olajuwon.

On the downside, he thinks too much and does not yet act naturally. This is mostly b/c he has not played organized basketball from an early age. This leaves him a step slow to react. This leads to a lot of fouls. In the DLeague, he makes up for this b/c of his IQ, athleticism, and quickness. He will need to improve on this to be effective in the NBA b/c most everyone is just as quick.

He is raw on offense for the same reasons as his defense. He over thinks plays and just has not played enough ball to have truly developed a consistent offense.

This manifest itself in amazing passes to a cutting teammate and then a terrible passes to the other team. Or a sweet hook-shots on one possession and a super brick 15 footer on the next. He just needs more time and mentoring.

What's encouraging is the fact that he shoots 70% from the line. This shows that he has a good touch and may be able to develop a consistent jump shot someday.

He's a project for sure, but he has the size, IQ, and athleticism to develop into a pretty good NBA Center. Melo may end up a player like Roy Hibbert, a good jump shot, 70% ft, 8-9 rbs, and 2 blks. Something like that.

It will take a few years though.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
We've got some pretty good talent on the Red Claws.

Shelvin Mack was a bad dude at Butler. He's got good size. I bet he makes a mark in the NBA at some point.

Summers also had a good run at Georgetown. Can we not resign Kris Joseph to the squad?

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
We've got some pretty good talent on the Red Claws.

Shelvin Mack was a bad dude at Butler. He's got good size. I bet he makes a mark in the NBA at some point.

Summers also had a good run at Georgetown. Can we not resign Kris Joseph to the squad?
No, he signed in France
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I checked the boxscore of today's game against Springfield and I saw a DNP on Fab. What happened?

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
I checked the boxscore of today's game against Springfield and I saw a DNP on Fab. What happened?

Well, it does say "DND, injured" so I'm going to take their word for it.

May explain his previous game where he was uncharacteristically very invisible. Just the 3 (or 2) blocks. I'll admit I did not watch the previous game after seeing the very empty line from Fab Melo so I cannot tell you if he had any signs of grimace.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I wanted to say thanks for all the Melo updates. One of my favorite things in the forums.

TP :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I love it too.  One of my favorite parts of this season has been checking out those Red Claws games videos that they show on the D-League website. 

I'm fairly impressed with most of what I've seen so far from Fab.  I like his defensive presence, foot work and timing on blocked shots.  Not so impressed with his hands, his floor speed, and his motor.

By the way, anyone know the nature of the injury that kept him out of the last game?  I mean, please tell me we didn't lose our point guard of the future and our center of the future in the same week.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can we break down "raw" a little? I read a lot about how "raw" Fab is , but not in which ways he is raw.

THE GOOD
He does have great defensive instincts on help defense and timing to block shots.   He shows a willingness to run the court and is fairly mobile and is a true seven footer.

THE BAD
He badly needs to get stronger.   This will come with NBA workouts so it's a matter of time.

He is only playing 24 minutes a game, so he needs work on endurance and staying out of foul trouble.

He lacks a true go to post move.  In college he was basically a swatmatic  on D and occasional dunk.   He needs to work on his baby hook and jumper.   I have seen some progress already in this area.

His hands are suspect.   He is not even in the top 30 in rebounding.   I have seen boxing out some more which should help but his hands needs work.

THE UGLY
He has had some great games and not so great games and is a rookie who has not played a lot of ball.   Keep in mind he was not a dominant C in college save on the defensive end.   I think he is coming along nicely.  I think we might have something in a year or two though provided he keeps working the way he has thus far.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
Strained quadriceps muscles.

A quote from a game recap of the last game:
'Maine was also at less than full strength, missing two of its top post players – 7-foot Celtics draft pick Fab Melo and 6-8 forward DaJuan Summers (both with strained quadriceps muscles).'
Dutch Celtics Pride