Author Topic: Fab Melo D-League thread  (Read 26480 times)

Re: Fab Melo D-League thread
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline EnJoY

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

So... Maine watchers... what's wrong with Fab? His stats are beyond terrible this week, capped by an 18 minute, 6 foul, 4 rebound performance on Saturday.

For those of you going to Red Claws games, are you starting to give up on Fab? Is he hurt?

Yea, the stats don't look good, but I haven't watched the games.  Prior to his last call up with the C's his numbers were quite good on all fronts.  Lately, just abysmal.

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
When he was up with the Celtics he looked like someone who had never played organized basketball. Mostly because he rarely new where to stand, I have low hope for players that can't seem to grasp the general basketball concepts. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
He played only 20 minutes (why?) last night and seemingly did nothing. Three rebounds, four points. It's nice to see a couple of blocks, but he was the only net-minus of the Maine starters, which says to me that he was definitely not having a defensive impact.

Does anyone on this board still have hope for Fab Melo? I admittedly hated him when we drafted him, but I thought that he would at least be of SOME use. To be honest, unless he's playing hurt right now, I don't think he has a future.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:29:23 AM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He played only 20 minutes (why?) last night and seemingly did nothing. Three rebounds, four points. It's nice to see a couple of blocks, but he was the only net-minus of the Maine starters, which says to me that he was definitely not having a defensive impact.

Does anyone on this board still have hope for Fab Melo? I admittedly hated him when we drafted him, but I thought that he would at least be of SOME use. To be honest, unless he's playing hurt right now, I don't think he has a future.
In retrospect, passing on Ezeli doesn't look very smart right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »

Offline EnJoY

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

It didn't look very smart at the time either.  Melo was rated higher in terms of draft rank, but many people on these boards clamored for Ezeli over a potential pick of Melo.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
while i was disappointed ainge picked melo on draft night, after seeing his early games in maine i was hopeful.

as for why he is having trouble now is an unknown for me. his has pretty good physical abilities and those dont go away suddenly unless there is an injury.

hopefully he picks up his game soon.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

It didn't look very smart at the time either.  Melo was rated higher in terms of draft rank, but many people on these boards clamored for Ezeli over a potential pick of Melo.
Did you want them to draft Ezeli at Melo's spot? I wanted PJ3 and didn't even consider Ezeli.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I haven't seen any of the games, so I can't speak with any authority on this, but just to throw out a theory.

A lot of times this happens with raw players.  When they first step on the floor, they put up good numbers, but really do it outside the system, and may not even be a net positive for the team.

But then as they get integrated in the system, start learning the right things to do, those numbers start dropping as the coaches start holding them accountable for rotations, and floor spacing, and things like that, and they also have to think a lot more, rather than just react, which slows them down.

This transition can really hurt their stats, even if they are actually making progress. 

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'd be surprised if he's ever a contributor for the Celtics. I wasn't a fan when we drafted him either though. I don't think Danny would have taken him if the Celtics didn't feel like they got a steal with Sullinger dropping so low and could afford to take a gamble.

He's a typical project big man, and honestly how often do they actually end up working out? The upside is huge for players like him because centers who can play will always be a commodity in the NBA, but the fact is these guys rarely go on to have productive NBA careers.

I can live with it though because it looks like we got one of the steals of the draft in Sully, assuming this surgery did in fact cure his back problems. I just thank god the Rockets took Royce White before Danny could blow a pick on him.

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Did you want them to draft Ezeli at Melo's spot? I wanted PJ3 and didn't even consider Ezeli.
I would have liked Moultrie.

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Meh he's performing at expectations. He is a late first round pick. The chances of those picks working put are not good. Besides we didn't miss out on anything. PJ3 is terrible, There was no one farther down that would be making a difference on our team at the moment.

He's a project big man on a team with playoff hopes. He has a lot of work to do that's for sure..

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13
I haven't seen any of the games, so I can't speak with any authority on this, but just to throw out a theory.

A lot of times this happens with raw players.  When they first step on the floor, they put up good numbers, but really do it outside the system, and may not even be a net positive for the team.

But then as they get integrated in the system, start learning the right things to do, those numbers start dropping as the coaches start holding them accountable for rotations, and floor spacing, and things like that, and they also have to think a lot more, rather than just react, which slows them down.

This transition can really hurt their stats, even if they are actually making progress.

The Nenad Krstic effect?

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I still think that he is pretty interesting. He was a multi-year project when they drafted him so I am not too bothered by how far away he still is at this point.

I do hate that he is in the D-League though. I have no confidence in that league's ability to develop players. Especially a big man like Fab Melo. He needs to be in the NBA playing against NBA quality athletes. Big man in the D-League are simply too small and/or unathletic to provide Fab Melo with a proper training ground for how to play NBA level defense against NBA level athletes. Waste of time = the D-League.

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I wanted Moultrie with the Melo pick. I remember praying to god we didnt draft Fab Melo, unfortunately we did...
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i think he is a stiff.  i hope i am wrong for the team's sake tho