Author Topic: The problem with this Celtic team...  (Read 3632 times)

Re: The problem with this Celtic team...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
The problem with this Celtic team

1. Poor shooting from any position(Terry, PP, Lee, Green)
2. No fast offensive strategies(Rondo is the key)
3. Missing a big man to help KG (he can not play 48 minutes)
4. Poor defensive positions on th floor of some players (remember Belinellis last points)
5. DA did not find replace for Perk and Ray( get rid of Terry, Wilcox etc)

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You can pick apart the problem in a couple of different ways; from the team perspective and from the individual perspective. 

From the team perspective, we are a poor rebbounding team, mediocore defensively, and poor to mediocore shooting team.  These all lead to a poor to mediocore team.

From the individual standpoint, we do have a talent issue.  At this point, we have no stars.  Rondo is very good, but not a star frankly.  KG is closest, but can't play big minutes.  And PP, simply is old.

Role players (which is everyone else) can only shine when they have star players to play off of.  When they don't, they are exposed, ineffective, or inconsequential.

our offensive style is very bad also. not enough attacking the rim in a plethora of ways has been our downfall.
This is a product of our talent as much as anything else.  PP can't get to the rim like he used to.  Rondo is limited because guys play off of him.  And no one else on the team, quite frankly, has the ability to do it.

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Thank you droop dog. I agree with your observations that this team simply does not measure up. I recant some of what I said. Doc Rivers is a good coach and that is why we are still near .500 and currently 8th seed and projected to finish there. But the Celtics we saw last night is pretty much what we will get the rest of the way. Danny, Doc, and ownership need to make a decision real soon on the future course of this team.

4. Poor defensive positions on th floor of some players (remember Belinellis last points)

1. Poor shooting is the result of bad ball movement leading to difficult shots and turnovers plus tired legs results in cold shooting.

2. I think you are saying that no one is available to run with rONDO. Danny's signings have been a bust so far.

3. Sullenger has been good, the rest of the bigs have been hurt our flat out stink.

4. Poor defensive positions is lack of focus and attention to detail. That is disturbing.

5. The Perkins trade broke up a very good thing indeed. The loss of Ray Allen was due to a contractual situation and the fact Avery Bradley beat him out of a starter role.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yay for moral victories. Good effort.

I think the problem is that we´re just not very good anymore. We´re a middle-of-the-road team.

A few encouraging games here and there don´t change that.

I think the difference between a few encouraging games and a bad losing streak has been Paul Pierce's ability to play good basketball.

I think when Pierce gets out of this horrid run, Boston will have another strong period play. Whether Pierce can do a better job of limiting this horrid spells going forward or be relied upon in the playoffs, I don't know.

Doc's handling of Pierce and refusal to reduce his minutes when Pierce is playing badly is equally as hurtful to Boston as Pierce's own bad performances. Doc is doing a bad job handling Pierce, again.

I´m sorry, Who, but didn´t you expect the same of Bradley´s return?

Ignoring the point PhoSita made for the sake of argument (although it ends the argument right there, in my opinion), when was the last time Pierce had 5 good games in a row? Because I really can´t remember, and have to go back 2 years to the days when Shaq was still playing for us.

Do you think that´s enough to get us through potentially four 7-game series?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The problem with this Celtic's Team....

.... is that it's like the Celtic's teams of the past three seasons. Its play is wildly inconsistent and up and down.

Well unless you want to argue that its consistent at being inconsistent... No argument there.

If we get into the playoffs, hopefully, they bring it like the Celtics of the past three seasons.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
age/decline

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yay for moral victories. Good effort.

I think the problem is that we´re just not very good anymore. We´re a middle-of-the-road team.

A few encouraging games here and there don´t change that.

I think the difference between a few encouraging games and a bad losing streak has been Paul Pierce's ability to play good basketball.

I think when Pierce gets out of this horrid run, Boston will have another strong period play. Whether Pierce can do a better job of limiting this horrid spells going forward or be relied upon in the playoffs, I don't know.

Doc's handling of Pierce and refusal to reduce his minutes when Pierce is playing badly is equally as hurtful to Boston as Pierce's own bad performances. Doc is doing a bad job handling Pierce, again.

I´m sorry, Who, but didn´t you expect the same of Bradley´s return?

Ignoring the point PhoSita made for the sake of argument (although it ends the argument right there, in my opinion), when was the last time Pierce had 5 good games in a row? Because I really can´t remember, and have to go back 2 years to the days when Shaq was still playing for us.

Do you think that´s enough to get us through potentially four 7-game series?

I don't know what to make of Pierce.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Thank you droop dog. I agree with your observations that this team simply does not measure up. I recant some of what I said. Doc Rivers is a good coach and that is why we are still near .500 and currently 8th seed and projected to finish there. But the Celtics we saw last night is pretty much what we will get the rest of the way. Danny, Doc, and ownership need to make a decision real soon on the future course of this team.

1. Poor shooting is the result of bad ball movement leading to difficult shots and turnovers plus tired legs results in cold shooting.

2. I think you are saying that no one is available to run with rONDO. Danny's signings have been a bust so far.

3. Sullenger has been good, the rest of the bigs have been hurt our flat out stink.

4. Poor defensive positions is lack of focus and attention to detail. That is disturbing.

5. The Perkins trade broke up a very good thing indeed. The loss of Ray Allen was due to a contractual situation and the fact Avery Bradley beat him out of a starter role.

The problem with this Celtic team ...more details...

1. Poor shooting from any position(Terry, PP, Lee, Green)...in general there no more a good shooter in order to solve games(like Ray or PP 2-3 seasons ago)
2. No fast offensive strategies(Rondo is the key)...in fact Rondo is a slow playmaker and does not inspire a fast offensive vector...solution? ..trade Rondo for a better dynamic playmaker
3. Missing a big man to help KG (he can not play 48 minutes)...how can be possible to move on only with KG??? Imagine if KG will get injured...
4. Poor defensive positions on th floor of some players (remember Belinellis last points)...there is a big reason to blame Doc for poor defence menagment ideas in particular in 4 quarters
5. DA did not find replace for Perk and Ray(get rid of Terry, Wilcox etc)...is clear that Cs lost the best big man and the best shooter. There is a big reason to blame DA for poor trades from 2010 till now...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:33:18 PM by eugen »