Author Topic: The problem with this Celtic team...  (Read 3634 times)

The problem with this Celtic team...
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:44:29 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
They played hard against the Knicks. They brought the effort. They played with tenacity and intensity.

They didn't do that in the past few games. It just wasn't there.

Honestly, the difference between a mediocre team and a great team is consistency.

I don't want to see them play with this kind of basketball against the Heat but then take it easy the next few games. They're playing the Magic, Kings, Lakers, and Raptors in the next several games, and I'd really like to see them play hard then too. Don't take it easy - we're in no position to do so. 

Loved watching them play tonight. And honestly, if they played this way - like they actually CARE - every game for the rest of the season, I don't care what our record is. Watching a good old fashioned Celtics team that takes no prisoners will be worth my league pass money.
I like Marcus Smart

Re: The problem with this Celtic team...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yay for moral victories. Good effort.

I think the problem is that weエre just not very good anymore. Weエre a middle-of-the-road team.

A few encouraging games here and there donエt change that.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:03:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Good job, good effort."

-- tagline for this Celtics season (said ironically, most of the time)
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
"Good job, good effort."

Bad effort games off the top of my head, Cavs, Suns, Pistons

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:03:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
"Good job, good effort."

Hence: said ironically / sarcastically most of the time.

They're not giving a good job or a good effort.  And the way they've underperformed this season, in light of the fire they played with during that post-season run last year (during which the "good job good effort" kid had his moment), is just a total joke and very disappointing / flabbergasting.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:06:05 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
1- Terry can't throw it in the ocean
2- Sully isn't allowed to play defense
3- Rondo hides on D like he's Kobe
4- Green needs a larger role
5- Pierce needs a smaller role

I'm still convinced the talent is there to make some noise, but we're going to need to build some on court chemistry.   Spacing on both sides of the ball is all jumbled. 

And it doesn't help that we get hosed by officials every time out

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:07:34 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Or could be our guys are distracted by all that fake crowd noise we pipe in.  ::)

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:16:48 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
"Good job, good effort."

Hence: said ironically / sarcastically most of the time.

They're not giving a good job or a good effort.  And the way they've underperformed this season, in light of the fire they played with during that post-season run last year (during which the "good job good effort" kid had his moment), is just a total joke and very disappointing / flabbergasting.

missed that...whoops

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think the problem is that weエre just not very good anymore. Weエre a middle-of-the-road team.

I think the difference between a few encouraging games and a bad losing streak has been Paul Pierce's ability to play good basketball.

I think when Pierce gets out of this horrid run, Boston will have another strong period play. Whether Pierce can do a better job of limiting this horrid spells going forward or be relied upon in the playoffs, I don't know.

Doc's handling of Pierce and refusal to reduce his minutes when Pierce is playing badly is equally as hurtful to Boston as Pierce's own bad performances. Doc is doing a bad job handling Pierce, again. 

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The problem with this Celtic team is that barring a trade or big retirement party, this is the roster we'll have for the next 3 years.

They'll either get it together on the court or they'll provide us with some lottery picks the next couple of years and give Danny a lot of good expiring deals for trades after next year.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think the difference between a few encouraging games and a bad losing streak has been Paul Pierce's ability to play good basketball.

I think when Pierce gets out of this horrid run, Boston will have another strong period play. Whether Pierce can do a better job of limiting this horrid spells going forward or be relied upon in the playoffs, I don't know.

Doc's handling of Pierce and refusal to reduce his minutes when Pierce is playing badly is equally as hurtful to Boston as Pierce's own bad performances. Doc is doing a bad job handling Pierce, again.

Well, if the Celtics are this dependent on Pierce to play well -- i.e. if he struggles, they lose -- how they can hope to win consistently going forward?  Pierce is 35 going on 36.  He's just not going to be able to have a good game every night.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I agree with this. What happened to the days of expecting excellence to go along with this effort? Guess we all need to become the "good job, good effort" kid in Miami.   :'(

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
They flat out stink....... No one on that team can play anymore and Doc cannot coach and Danny can't buy the right groceries.

We will go down the drain and finish in the Atlantic Division basement and finish about 12th in the Eastern Conference.

This team is toast. I am outta here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You can pick apart the problem in a couple of different ways; from the team perspective and from the individual perspective. 

From the team perspective, we are a poor rebbounding team, mediocore defensively, and poor to mediocore shooting team.  These all lead to a poor to mediocore team.

From the individual standpoint, we do have a talent issue.  At this point, we have no stars.  Rondo is very good, but not a star frankly.  KG is closest, but can't play big minutes.  And PP, simply is old.

Role players (which is everyone else) can only shine when they have star players to play off of.  When they don't, they are exposed, ineffective, or inconsequential.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
You can pick apart the problem in a couple of different ways; from the team perspective and from the individual perspective. 

From the team perspective, we are a poor rebbounding team, mediocore defensively, and poor to mediocore shooting team.  These all lead to a poor to mediocore team.

From the individual standpoint, we do have a talent issue.  At this point, we have no stars.  Rondo is very good, but not a star frankly.  KG is closest, but can't play big minutes.  And PP, simply is old.

Role players (which is everyone else) can only shine when they have star players to play off of.  When they don't, they are exposed, ineffective, or inconsequential.

our offensive style is very bad also. not enough attacking the rim in a plethora of ways has been our downfall.
LET'S GO CELTICS!