Author Topic: Talent vs. Consistency  (Read 2531 times)

Talent vs. Consistency
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think we all know we have the talent to win, whether it's against the OKC Thunder or the Knicks at MSG. We're disgusted at how we seem to give away games to Detroit et al. However, another side argues, if we get to the playoffs, which we certainly will, we can simply turn it up and win all we want. We have the ability, but we ain't got no consistency.

Reminds me of a certain Jeff Green I know.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Talent vs. Consistency
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Nothing about this season has showed me we can turn it on at will like we have in years' past. Sometimes we come out more motivated, but that's about the best we get
DKC Suns

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Nothing about this season has showed me we can turn it on at will like we have in years' past. Sometimes we come out more motivated, but that's about the best we get

Also, Rondo seems to be able to turn it up whenever he wants.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I don't think we have the talent to be consistent. Take that for what it is worth.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I don't think we have the talent to be consistent. Take that for what it is worth.

But we do have the talent to beat elite teams, should we choose?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

But we do have the talent to beat elite teams, should we choose?

We do, just not the motivation apparently!

If 2/3 of our team plays well we can probably heat anybody.  Rarely happens tho!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:11:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even when our team plays up to their potential I'm not sure they really have enough.

The fact is that we're getting as much as we can reasonably hope to get out of Pierce, Rondo, and KG.  Those are our three best players; we're only going as far as they can take us.

As for the supporting cast, the only players who you can really hope to improve are Lee and Bass.  Neither is old enough to be on the decline and both are performing below their career norms.  Green is producing the same as he always has, and Terry is pretty clearly cooked.  Bradley and Sullinger are giving us all they can this season, though they both obviously have significant upside and may be more than just role players in the future.

Overall, this team is not going to get any better anytime soon without some changes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:30:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Even when our team plays up to their potential I'm not sure they really have enough.

The fact is that we're getting as much as we can reasonably hope to get out of Pierce, Rondo, and KG.  Those are our three best players; we're only going as far as they can take us.

As for the supporting cast, the only players who you can really hope to improve are Lee and Bass.  Neither is old enough to be on the decline and both are performing below their career norms.  Green is producing the same as he always has, and Terry is pretty clearly cooked.  Bradley and Sullinger are giving us all they can this season, though they both obviously have significant upside and may be more than just role players in the future.

Overall, this team is not going to get any better anytime soon without some changes.

I don't see why you can't expect improvement from Bradley (still working out the kinks after half a season off) or Sully (who *is* improving).

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:50 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
In 2010 and last year, I had this feeling deep down that despite our record, our guys could still "flip the switch."

This year, I don't have that feeling.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I don't think talent is an issue as far as having a strong regular season record. It comes down to effort and execution. Our main strengths are experience, skill, and (potentially) depth. Our main weaknesses are the lack of an inside presence and the athleticism/stamina of our main unit.

It's difficult to control consistently hitting jumpers. It's much easier to control pressuring the ball, increasing the tempo (not necessarily the pace) and running plays correctly. We aren't doing either.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
In 2010 and last year, I had this feeling deep down that despite our record, our guys could still "flip the switch."

This year, I don't have that feeling.

Right on the money. The flip the switch feeling is completely gone. But the team still has the flip the switch mentality, but then when they go to flip it, the lights are out.

Rondo can still flip the switch but when he no longer has the rest of the team to back him up theres a problem there.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't see why you can't expect improvement from Bradley (still working out the kinks after half a season off) or Sully (who *is* improving).

I expect them to improve in the future. This season I don't expect them to give us too much more than they are now.

In any case, we aren't going to make a run to 50 wins because of Bradley and Sullinger.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Even when this team is on, it has flaws that make it unlikely to win a 7 game series with the elite teams (and to be honest, their is only one elite team in the East, Miami.  Maybe Chicago if Rose comes back and plays at a high level)

There is still a big man hole next to and behind KG.  There is plenty of talent at PF, but there needs to be one starting player 6'10 or higher.

Outside shooting is inconsistent.

I think their might be enough offensive weapons if Rondo, KG, Pierce and Terry are playing up to their ability as long as the defense is excellent. 

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
C's don't have the talent required to win a title.  Not even close.  Pierce and Garnett are clearly at the end of their careers.  Rondo is maddeningly inconsistent and not enough of an offensive presence to be this teams best player.  Bradley and Sullinger are a long way from consistent elite level play (if they ever get there) and the rest of the team is a bunch of role players.  Just not good enough.  Sure a game here or there, Pierce and Garnett can muster the energy and consistency of their youth, but not night in and night out, which means this team is done as a realistic contender without major changes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
C's don't have the talent required to win a title.  Not even close.  Pierce and Garnett are clearly at the end of their careers.  Rondo is maddeningly inconsistent and not enough of an offensive presence to be this teams best player.  Bradley and Sullinger are a long way from consistent elite level play (if they ever get there) and the rest of the team is a bunch of role players.  Just not good enough.  Sure a game here or there, Pierce and Garnett can muster the energy and consistency of their youth, but not night in and night out, which means this team is done as a realistic contender without major changes.

Thank you.  The bitter brace of truth is refreshing.