Author Topic: Blow it up  (Read 911 times)

Blow it up
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm new to the blow it up idea.  Having recently left New England, I don't get to see many Celtics games unless they're on national broadcasts, but the last two games I've seen (Chicago and New York) have finally sold me.  In neither of those games did the C's play poorly, but they still lost.  This team, while capable of getting to the playoffs, is not going to win a championship, or get to the finals, or get to the conference finals.  Maybe we could win a round, but likely not if we're the 7th or 8th seed.  We're good enough to not get swept by anyone, but we're not good enough to win 4 out of 7.

So yes, Mr. Ainge, blow it up.  Don't trade Bass and a draft pick for a big to help this year.  It won't help.  Don't trade Lee and a 1st for a better shooter.  It won't help.  Trade Bass to someone who wants Bass for a rookie with upside or a draft pick.  Take back someone else's bad contract if you have to.  Same goes with Lee.  Same for JET.  Same for Green.  Try to spread those draft picks over multiple years, but don't sell low to avoid this year's first round.  People say it's a week class, but the top 20 looks solid.

Trade Rondo if you get the right offer, but don't trade him for the sake of trading.  Same is true of Pierce.  KG has a no-trade clause, so it's up to him if he wants to stick around or not.  I'd love to have him around to teach the kids we get how to play the right way, but I couldn't blame him for wanting out.

Keep Melo and Sully.  I love Bradley, he's tough as nails if not tougher, but that is not mutually exclusive with injury-prone, and it might be wise to ship him out too if the value is there.

Next year's team should be Sully, Melo, new draftees, maybe another young player we get from trades this year, the bad contracts we pick up, and whomever we don't trade.  Sign some good vet locker room guys to fill out the roster and keep the young guys working hard.  Be willing to waive any of the bad contracts acquired if the players are locker room cancer and would teach the young guys bad habits.  Just make sure you're Oklahoma City or Indiana, and not Washington or Sacramento.

Doc will probably want out.  He looks frustrated enough this year, so I can't imagine that he'd want a young roster again.  If so, consider John Beilein.  Yeah, he's a college coach, and it's the NBA, but he loves rebuilding johs, and that's what this is.  Maybe he won't leave college, but you can always ask.

I know the goal was to rebuild on the fly.  I loved the offseason moves and thought it might work, but it clearly hasn't.  There's no point in vainly attempting to limp into the playoffs while trading away future assets at the same time.  Next year's not going to be any better with this roster.  So blow it up.

Re: Blow it up
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm new to the blow it up idea.  Having recently left New England, I don't get to see many Celtics games unless they're on national broadcasts, but the last two games I've seen (Chicago and New York) have finally sold me.  In neither of those games did the C's play poorly, but they still lost.  This team, while capable of getting to the playoffs, is not going to win a championship, or get to the finals, or get to the conference finals.  Maybe we could win a round, but likely not if we're the 7th or 8th seed.  We're good enough to not get swept by anyone, but we're not good enough to win 4 out of 7.

So yes, Mr. Ainge, blow it up.  Don't trade Bass and a draft pick for a big to help this year.  It won't help.  Don't trade Lee and a 1st for a better shooter.  It won't help.  Trade Bass to someone who wants Bass for a rookie with upside or a draft pick.  Take back someone else's bad contract if you have to.  Same goes with Lee.  Same for JET.  Same for Green.  Try to spread those draft picks over multiple years, but don't sell low to avoid this year's first round.  People say it's a week class, but the top 20 looks solid.

Trade Rondo if you get the right offer, but don't trade him for the sake of trading.  Same is true of Pierce.  KG has a no-trade clause, so it's up to him if he wants to stick around or not.  I'd love to have him around to teach the kids we get how to play the right way, but I couldn't blame him for wanting out.

Keep Melo and Sully.  I love Bradley, he's tough as nails if not tougher, but that is not mutually exclusive with injury-prone, and it might be wise to ship him out too if the value is there.

Next year's team should be Sully, Melo, new draftees, maybe another young player we get from trades this year, the bad contracts we pick up, and whomever we don't trade.  Sign some good vet locker room guys to fill out the roster and keep the young guys working hard.  Be willing to waive any of the bad contracts acquired if the players are locker room cancer and would teach the young guys bad habits.  Just make sure you're Oklahoma City or Indiana, and not Washington or Sacramento.

Doc will probably want out.  He looks frustrated enough this year, so I can't imagine that he'd want a young roster again.  If so, consider John Beilein.  Yeah, he's a college coach, and it's the NBA, but he loves rebuilding johs, and that's what this is.  Maybe he won't leave college, but you can always ask.

I know the goal was to rebuild on the fly.  I loved the offseason moves and thought it might work, but it clearly hasn't.  There's no point in vainly attempting to limp into the playoffs while trading away future assets at the same time.  Next year's not going to be any better with this roster.  So blow it up.

I dont think anybody in the league would be crazy enough to do that.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Celtics Trade: Rajon Rondo, 2013 1st
Rockets Trade: Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Dontas Motiejunas, Toronto's Lottery-Exclusive 1st Round pick, Houston's 2014 1st round pick

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rockets Trade: Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Dontas Motiejunas, Toronto's Lottery-Exclusive 1st Round pick, Houston's 2014 1st round pick

Houston doesn't have that Toronto pick anymore.  Went to the Thunder when they traded for Harden.

I'm not really interested in any package the Rockets would offer for Rondo.

Plus, I'm not sure Rondo makes sense next to Harden, similar to the way that Rondo and Terry don't work that well together.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Houston doesn't have that Toronto pick anymore.  Went to the Thunder when they traded for Harden.

I'm not really interested in any package the Rockets would offer for Rondo.

Plus, I'm not sure Rondo makes sense next to Harden, similar to the way that Rondo and Terry don't work that well together.

I really disagree about Rondo's fit next to Harden. Comparing Harden to Terry isn't really a valid one because they're not overly similar players.

But the whole point is moo anyways without the lottery pick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I dont think anybody in the league would be crazy enough to do that.

That's why the next sentence reads "Take back someone else's bad contract if you have to."