Author Topic: Our new go to guy  (Read 5404 times)

Re: Our new go to guy
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Coming into the season, Rondo was expected to be this guy.  Unfortunately, his jumper, while improved, isn't respectable enough to the point where teams are going to fight over screens for him.

Until Rondo can get a good, solid jumper, he won't be an ideal option for a crunch-time bucket.  If he can, though, he'll be deadly.  That mixture of jump-shooting, driving ability, and passing is scary.

We get it.  You don't like Rondo and you would blame him no matter how good he is or how sensational he is such as tonight's game.  It's getting old
No, we get it. You worship at Rondo's altar. His triple doubles are "sensational", and when he has 9 turnovers, or turns it over because he just needs to get someone an alley-oop rather than a layup for himself, that's just bad luck.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Coming into the season, Rondo was expected to be this guy.  Unfortunately, his jumper, while improved, isn't respectable enough to the point where teams are going to fight over screens for him.

Until Rondo can get a good, solid jumper, he won't be an ideal option for a crunch-time bucket.  If he can, though, he'll be deadly.  That mixture of jump-shooting, driving ability, and passing is scary.

We get it.  You don't like Rondo and you would blame him no matter how good he is or how sensational he is such as tonight's game.  It's getting old
No, we get it. You worship at Rondo's altar. His triple doubles are "sensational", and when he has 9 turnovers, or turns it over because he just needs to get someone an alley-oop rather than a layup for himself, that's just bad luck.

He out rebounds most forwards when he tries, and can position himself as we'll as the beast, Sully, who will be top-5 rebounder in his career.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I love Rondo.  He's my second favorite Celtics behind KG.

Unlike you, I understand Rondo has flaws and limitations, and I'm okay with that.  The great thing about these things is that Rondo hasn't even hit his prime, giving him time to improve.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He out rebounds most forwards when he tries, and can position himself as we'll as the beast, Sully, who will be top-5 rebounder in his career.
He also cures the plague with his touch, and fires lightning bolts from his eyes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Unlike you, I understand Rondo has flaws and limitations, and I'm okay with that.  The great thing about these things is that Rondo hasn't even hit his prime, giving him time to improve.

Most of your post here is Rondo this Rondo that.  Even when he played a sensational game like he did tonight, you still can't resist calling in him out when it was Paul Pierce who cost us the game.  We all know he has flaws and he's improved on a lot of them.  It's just not the time...very anticlamatic when he's coming off another usual great triple double.  Makes no sense at all

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We don't have one!

That's a big part of why this team struggles to score, especially late in games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Should have been OJ Mayo if the c's players and/or doc didn't kill the Ray trade last year ;)

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Pierce is no longer a viable solution every time.

Who should it be?

JASON COLLINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It should have been Jason Terry. He was brought here to replace Ray and he hasn't been anywhere close. Ray has been hitting clutch 3 after clutch 3 for Miami and Jet really has no business in the rotation right now.

There should be plays drawn up for KG as well. At least no one would be expecting it. Everybody's prepared for Doc and his stale end of game Paul Pierce iso. His jumper is reliable and he can hit the 3.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

Most of your post here is Rondo this Rondo that.  Even when he played a sensational game like he did tonight, you still can't resist calling in him out when it was Paul Pierce who cost us the game.  We all know he has flaws and he's improved on a lot of them.  It's just not the time...very anticlamatic when he's coming off another usual great triple double.  Makes no sense at all

Last I checked, this was a blog that allows people to write about what they want.  I felt like I should give my opinion on Rondo.  He played great, made one bad mistake at the end, and we lost.  Please explain to me how that doesn't make sense.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Last I checked, this was a blog that allows people to write about what they want.  I felt like I should give my opinion on Rondo.  He played great, made one bad mistake at the end, and we lost.  Please explain to me how that doesn't make sense.

Yea...that guy who lost and fumbled the ball was clearly Rondo.  I'm done.  Have a ball with  your Rondo hate you call love. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

Yea...that guy who lost and fumbled the ball was clearly Rondo.  I'm done.  Have a ball with  your Rondo hate you call love.

What the heck.  I'll bite.

Ok, let's break down those two turnovers:

65% on Terry.  35% on Pierce.  From what I remember, Terry didn't hold the ball out away from his chest, but rather towards Pierce.  Smith poked it away easily, but you could make the argument that Paul could've handled it.  So Terry and Pierce get blame, are you satisfied?

70% on Rondo.  30% on Pierce.  Not only did Rondo assume that Pierce was going to be open for the pass, once he realized this anticipation was wrong, he threw a very difficult pass to Paul that Pierce was unfortunately unable to control.  Rondo needs to be smarter and keep his dribble there.  In late-clock situations, plays you draw up can break down, and you need to be ready for that.  I fault Rondo.

Finally, when did I say Rondo lost us the game?   Heck, when did I say Rondo had a bad game?  I said he probably cost us a chance to tie the game, but at least he tried for a couple steals in the closing moments.  I give him credit for that.

Get your facts straight before calling me out.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

What the heck.  I'll bite.

Ok, let's break down those two turnovers:

65% on Terry.  35% on Pierce.  From what I remember, Terry didn't hold the ball out away from his chest, but rather towards Pierce.  Smith poked it away easily, but you could make the argument that Paul could've handled it.  So Terry and Pierce get blame, are you satisfied?

70% on Rondo.  30% on Pierce.  Not only did Rondo assume that Pierce was going to be open for the pass, once he realized this anticipation was wrong, he threw a very difficult pass to Paul that Pierce was unfortunately unable to control.  Rondo needs to be smarter and keep his dribble there.  In late-clock situations, plays you draw up can break down, and you need to be ready for that.  I fault Rondo.

Finally, when did I say Rondo lost us the game?   Heck, when did I say Rondo had a bad game?  I said he probably cost us a chance to tie the game, but at least he tried for a couple steals in the closing moments.  I give him credit for that.

Get your facts straight before calling me out.

Ball had to be with Pierce.

They coulda fouled Rondo, and two FTs, made or miss, likely would have resulted in an easy L, especially with no TO's left.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Why do you people get so defenseive?  The above poster didn't say anything anti-Rondo, all he sais is that Rondo doesn't have what it takes to be a go-to guy, and he's absolutely right.  Its no knock against Rondo, that's just not his game.

For example, when was the last time you saw Rondo average 20 PPG over a 10 game stretch in the regular season?  Has he ever done it in his entire career? Even in the Playoffs?

To be a go-to guy you don't only need to be a capable scorer, you need to be a DOMINANT scorer.  You need to be able to score in a variety of ways - Paul Pierce and Carmello Anthony are perfect examples.  Those guys can shoot the three, post up, score off the dribble, get to the foul line, pull up from midrange.  They are professional scorers, and if you take away one of their scoring options, they can beat you with two or three other ways.

Rondo simple doesn't have that in his game.  He will have certain games where he's hot and everything is falling, but those days will happen maybe once or twice a month if that.  Otherwise he can Gove you double figure points every night, but that's about the extent of it.

Think of Rondo as a new-school John Stockton - an exceptional PG, but he needs his Karl Malone by his side to handle the scoring burden. 

I've been saying it for months now, we will not have a primary scorer when Pierce retires.  Look at us now - Pierce is out go-to guy and yes l, he's still an elite scorer, but he's got a lot of mileage on that body and he can't so it every night anymore.  KG is a guy who prefers to play defense, rebound and do the little things - he's never been a shoot-first guy.  Rondo as above is a pass first guy with a limited scoring game.  Barbosa has always been streaky.  Lee has never been much more (offensively) than a support player.

The only guys we have who have the talent to take on this Role are Terry (who's struggling) and Green (who's yet to find consitency and motivation). 

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's pretty frustrating having to watch so many games with the only point guard in the league that ever turns the ball over or makes a bad decision.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:43:47 AM by BballTim »