Author Topic: Free Sully! Our New Go To Guy  (Read 2931 times)

Free Sully! Our New Go To Guy
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Doc should go to Sully more and not let him just be a garbage man.  Use him as one of the main scorers.  Go to him down low and let him go to work.  He's a rookie, but so what? He doesn't play like a rookie.  The one game where they actually went to him constantly he had a monster game.  He'd probably get the other team in foul trouble too working under the basket.

Thoughts?

Sorry about the rushed post, but I have to get back to work. :-\
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Free Sully! Our New Go To Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i am cool with letting sully go.  tell him to play hard and not worry about fouls being called.  he is active and makes things happen.  he is the only guy who crashes the offensive glass as well.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
He has been our most consistent player this season, and along with Rondo and KG arguably our most valuable. Might as well let him loose.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Now this is a thread I can get behind. I would love to see them run a play to get Sully the ball on the block.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I think Doc should go to Sully more and not let him just be a garbage man.  Use him as one of the main scorers.  Go to him down low and let him go to work.  He's a rookie, but so what? He doesn't play like a rookie.  The one game where they actually went to him constantly he had a monster game.  He'd probably get the other team in foul trouble too working under the basket.

Thoughts?

good luck getting glenn to allow that!  :(
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Doc won't allow it
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love Sully.  I definitely agree he needs to post up more, too.  Apparently, he only has 25 field goal attempts on post ups this entire season.  That needs to change, so that we can see if he can be a consistent presence for us down low.  If he can be, it would add an entirely new dimension to our offense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Thoughts?

He's not been particularly effective in low-post isolation. I won't be holding my breath quite yet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Imagine a future with Sully at the four and DMC at the five. That would be a two headed monster. Our rebounding issues would go away and DMC is a great passer for a big he could hit the man in the corner or cutters like AB.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
All for it! Steal of the draft. Looking a lot better than Perry Jones III.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He's a solid player. Gonna be top5 PF in this league one day!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love Sully.  I definitely agree he needs to post up more, too.  Apparently, he only has 25 field goal attempts on post ups this entire season.  That needs to change, so that we can see if he can be a consistent presence for us down low.  If he can be, it would add an entirely new dimension to our offense.

I think he needs to learn to use his size to carve out space to get his shot off. He struggles a lot against taller competition. But he'll get there, I'm fairly sure.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think they will be holding him back a bit more until the trade deadline. If it was me anyways, I wouldn't want one of my best bigs to receive too much attention so that other teams wouldn't want him in deals.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I want to see him try more if only to see how good he is at it.  He's gone to the fadeaway in his last couple post ups.  Like to see if he can get off the little half-hook he relied on at OSU.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What's the fascination with the post up game.  If you look at the top teams in the league, very few of them use big man post up plays as one of their main offensive options.

Last time we had a good low post player, we ended up getting rid of him.  Many were of the opinion that the offense was too stagnant when you just threw the ball into the post and waited for the big fella to go to work. 

We all love Sully, but I say let him keep doing what he's been doing; hit the glass, set picks, cut without the ball, find open spots for that little jumper. 

I don't know, personally, I'm just not pining for that low post game as much as many seem to be.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson