Author Topic: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***  (Read 18545 times)

Re: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just don't understand the rationale of a person who posts a "Bash Rondo Thread" the day after Rondo tears his ACL.  Seriously, what the buck?

Or maybe the person who posted this thread posted it on January 24, about 8 hours before the Knicks game...

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its also laughable people don't want the celts to succeed without rondo. Its like its the Rondo Celtics and not the Boston Celtics. We could win it all without Rondo , and people will still want him to start next year , with everyone else traded.

This is patently unfair. I created the "Positivity Thread" here at Celticsblog because there was so much negativity during the end of the 2010 season and 90% of this blog was predicting doom and gloom in the playoffs for this team. If I can be accused of anything its that I support the expectations of this team too much.

And a lot of people just like me are saying this season is over without Rondo.

Do not mistake, thinking the C's won't be successful the rest of the season with hoping the C's lose. I will be screaming at my television cheering them on every game I can, hoping and wishing for a win as always. I just don't see them winning the majority of their games as they are presently constructed.

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline rsmrostov

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
a player of great talent, who's I is clearly ahead of the team.  Very typical for NBA, but his situation is even more intense.  I think the team where he's the key player and a star doesn't win a title.

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo was a great individual player who had improved immensely from when he entered the league.  I was re-watching the 2008 Finals and in terms of confidence and skill-level, that Rondo was unrecognizable.  That said, I've absolutely hated how he's run this team.  The Celtics haven't been a team these past few years so much as they've been a showcase for Rondo.  Not even Lebron or Kobe has dominated the ball as much as Rondo has during this Rondo Era and to what end?  To produce a terrible offense? 

Re-watching the 2008 Finals, I couldn't believe how different the offense was.  The ball movement was spectacular.  It moved from side to side, nobody really held the ball for too long, not even Rondo and the action was decisive.  Multiple guys brought the ball up.  Hell, I saw Ray grab a rebound and dribble the ball up the court without Rondo running up to him and shouting for the ball like it was middle school.  There weren't any of those stupid 1-5 side pick and pops where everyone else just stands on the other side of the court.  Slow walking the ball up the court for no reason was practically non-existent.  I don't care if the players are older now.  Why does that mean there has to be less ball movement.  When is less ball movement a good thing?

The biggest gripe I've had about Rondo is that the ball movement is so much better when he's not out there. When you're point guard is the biggest impediment to ball movement, he's doing something massively wrong.

you just nailed it in the head. The defense was also much better, probably because the offense was flowing better and vice versa.

Now, every single time someone gets a defensive rebound, rondo starts barking for the ball. Every time.

I'd just like to point out that, while you noticed that every single time someone gets a defensive rebound, rondo starts barking for the ball, you were hopefully able to notice as well that he's generally heading upcourt while he's calling for the ball. This is *clearly* Rondo trying to hurry the ball into the front court for a possible transition opportunity.

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
a player of great talent, who's I is clearly ahead of the team.  Very typical for NBA, but his situation is even more intense.  I think the team where he's the key player and a star doesn't win a title.

Yes, that's how basketball works, players that are unselfish with the ball and get their teammates involved in the offense are routinely attacked for not being team players. It's just a burden they have to bear.

...unless it's any player in the nba besides Rondo, in which case the above doesn't apply.

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Its also laughable people don't want the celts to succeed without rondo. Its like its the Rondo Celtics and not the Boston Celtics. We could win it all without Rondo , and people will still want him to start next year , with everyone else traded.

This is patently untrue

Fixed your post.

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

Offline rsmrostov

• Neemias Queta
this game is played at two ends of the court, not one, if you fail to understand it, it's only a problem of yours.

Yes, that's how basketball works, players that are unselfish with the ball and get their teammates involved in the offense are routinely attacked for not being team players. It's just a burden they have to bear.

...unless it's any player in the nba besides Rondo, in which case the above doesn't apply.

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
this game is played at two ends of the court, not one, if you fail to understand it, it's only a problem of yours.

I understand that perfectly well. Just like I understand that people who attack Rondo for cheating into the passing lanes have no idea whether Doc wants him to do that or not.

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I understand that perfectly well. Just like I understand that people who attack Rondo for cheating into the passing lanes have no idea whether Doc wants him to do that or not.

I guess when he's asked about defensive problems and Doc mentions "we're gambling too much on defense" he's actually saying that he wants Rondo to cheating into the passing lane.

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

Offline rsmrostov

• Neemias Queta
if that's how you see things  :-X

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I guess when he's asked about defensive problems and Doc mentions "we're gambling too much on defense" he's actually saying that he wants Rondo to cheating into the passing lane.

Just like you guess that every negative comment Doc makes about the team is directed mainly at Rondo.

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Just like you guess that every negative comment Doc makes about the team is directed mainly at Rondo.

No I don't. Rondo is not the only one that does this.

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
if that's how you see things  :-X

Since you claim Rondo walks away from players he's guarding when they're about to shoot because he's hoping to get a rebound if they miss, there's a good chance we see things differently.

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2013, 03:41:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

So Doc's comments may or may not apply to Rondo cheating into the passing lanes.

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

So Doc's comments may or may not apply to Rondo cheating into the passing lanes.

You guys already established the Rondo cheats into the passing lanes. Doc often comments on how we gamble too much on defense. I don't know how those comments can be seen as Doc wanting Rondo to cheat in the passing lane, when Occam's Razor should tell you the opposite is probably true.