Author Topic: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***  (Read 18554 times)

Re: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
OMG finally a place on Celticsblog where I can bash Rondo.  ;)

You know what it is! Dont take me in a wrong way, I even bought my lil bro Rondo merchandise, but for a guy getting paid over 9mill a year and never getting blamed for this season. C'mon, even Bradley is hinting this guy isn't reliable. ::)

That's kind of like saying Bill Buckner never gets blamed for the Sox losing to the Mets.

T

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this thread should end up being a good one :-\

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
  You need to look at why the numbers might be different (even down). For instance, how is defensive rating calculated? Is it based on opposing pg production, and if so wouldn't the fact that he frequently guards opposing SGs affect this? His shooting percentage is down, but that's not because he's shooting worse, it's because he takes more jumpers than he used to and even good shooters make fewer jump shots than layups.

As for his assists and turnovers, the numbers are only slightly off from last year (earlier this year they were  slightly up from last year) so that's merely fluctuations that all players see in their stats. Any time Rondo has a stat that drops from 1 year to the next people love to call that regression, I guess that's based on the (ridiculous) assumption that most stats for other players either stay the same or go up every season.

You are missing the point of the original post (which, by the way, I wrote in another thread, and for some reason was copied and pasted by another poster as a new topic ...)

It's not one number going down, it is almost all of his stats slumping. And you are right, there are fluctuations in stats of all great players, even Lebron.

The thing is that almost ALL of Rondo's numbers are down this year, even taking into account his hot start. There is obviously still time for him to turn it around, and I hope that he does. But that does not change the fact that his play over the past 15-20 games has been so abysmal that it has dropped his numbers down to career worsts in many categories, even including the fact that the first 10-20 games of the year he was putting up career highs.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  You need to look at why the numbers might be different (even down). For instance, how is defensive rating calculated? Is it based on opposing pg production, and if so wouldn't the fact that he frequently guards opposing SGs affect this? His shooting percentage is down, but that's not because he's shooting worse, it's because he takes more jumpers than he used to and even good shooters make fewer jump shots than layups.

As for his assists and turnovers, the numbers are only slightly off from last year (earlier this year they were  slightly up from last year) so that's merely fluctuations that all players see in their stats. Any time Rondo has a stat that drops from 1 year to the next people love to call that regression, I guess that's based on the (ridiculous) assumption that most stats for other players either stay the same or go up every season.

You are missing the point of the original post (which, by the way, I wrote in another thread, and for some reason was copied and pasted by another poster as a new topic ...)

It's not one number going down, it is almost all of his stats slumping. And you are right, there are fluctuations in stats of all great players, even Lebron.

The thing is that almost ALL of Rondo's numbers are down this year, even taking into account his hot start. There is obviously still time for him to turn it around, and I hope that he does. But that does not change the fact that his play over the past 15-20 games has been so abysmal that it has dropped his numbers down to career worsts in many categories, even including the fact that the first 10-20 games of the year he was putting up career highs.

I don't think I'm missing the point, I think you are. In 08-09 Rondo hit (from 82games) 62% of his inside shots and 38% of his jumpers. This year he's hitting 63% of his inside shots and 44% of his jumpers. He's shooting better from the inside and he's shooting better from the outside, but since he's taking more outside shots now his overall fg% is lower. You're watching Rondo get better at shooting and claiming he's getting worse.

Also, consider his defensive rating. Any numbers based on the production of the opposing point guards will be fairly meaningless because he spends so much time guarding shooting guards. Synergy sports, which measures the productivity of the player that Rondo guards, has Rondo allowing about the same ppp as last year.

All you've got is Rondo's career high turnovers (highest by an entire 1/10th of a turnover every 36 minutes) and an assist rate that's *slightly* lower than last year but well above his career average. I think this is a mountains from molehills situation.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
His defense is getting a little lazy, but if Bradley plays on-ball, Rnndo is one of the best at stealing from passing lanes.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rondo has a weird shaped head.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol...I thought every thread on here was a "Bash Rondo" thread...I guess this one is official..

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Bump 8)
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

And when you factor in the long fingers could possibly be an alien..

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
OMG finally a place on Celticsblog where I can bash Rondo.  ;)

You know what it is! Dont take me in a wrong way, I even bought my lil bro Rondo merchandise, but for a guy getting paid over 9mill a year and never getting blamed for this season. C'mon, even Bradley is hinting this guy isn't reliable. ::)
This made me laugh.

People are complaining(me included) that Jeff Green is a bad signing for $9 million a year. others are trying to say that a $9 million a year contract for a player of Green's caliber is market value.

Yet here you are kind of complaining about Rondo making $9 million a year when that deal is now almost universally being lauded as one of the best value contracts in the league.

$9 million a year for a top 15-20 player in the league, and yes, that is what Rondo is, is a HUGE bargain. You might be the only guy on the blog somewhat complaining about what Rondo earns for a salary.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yup  Rondo is strange looking guy...he should have been cast in the new Terminator 5 movie.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Yup  Rondo is strange looking guy...he should have been cast in the new Terminator 5 movie.
theres going to be a part 5??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That's necessary to house the overly large basketball brain Doc always talks about.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
This needs to stop
DKC Suns

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
rondo was the only reason we were in this game at the end... bash the right players