Author Topic: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray  (Read 10288 times)

Re: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

One would assume she was unable to find anyone who would claim that we miss him on the other end of the court...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:53:55 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I do think we are missing his point production. We have yet to find anyone willing or capable to pick up the slack. With that said we still should be a better team then we have been.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was thinking about this the other day, and tried to figure out what exactly from Ray the team is missing.

As other posters have pointed out, it's not really showing up in the stats.  It's not like this team didn't have long stretches of mediocre basketball when Ray was here (2010, 2012).

I would argue - off pure speculation - that what we miss from Ray is his professionalism.  The day-in, day-out work he put into his game.  Seems like this team is missing some of that.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I was thinking about this the other day, and tried to figure out what exactly from Ray the team is missing.

As other posters have pointed out, it's not really showing up in the stats.  It's not like this team didn't have long stretches of mediocre basketball when Ray was here (2010, 2012).

I would argue - off pure speculation - that what we miss from Ray is his professionalism.  The day-in, day-out work he put into his game.  Seems like this team is missing some of that.

Yes, I can see what you mean about the professionalism, but then he was here through the Donkey, Shrek and Shaq years, and supposedly this team was, like last year's, supposed to be improved because everyone was all about business.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I do think we are missing his point production. We have yet to find anyone willing or capable to pick up the slack. With that said we still should be a better team then we have been.
No we aren't, the stats show we aren't. This team is missing defense and heart and talent and people willing to actually put in the effort to be a good team.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Look at the three players talking here.

All rivals with no love for the Cs.

TA still feels dissed by DA and hence the Cs. Basically saying "you screwed up not re-signing me", therefore, by the transitive property you screwed up with Judas.I buy the first part, but not the Judas part. We did all we could to sign Judas (short of giving him the 9 million he knew we would never give), but TA, while happy to be in Memphis still feels dissed (and rightfully so) by DA.

Hamilton, first at Detroit and now in Chicago strongly dislikes the Cs. He's a punk. Remember which Celtic had huge scratches on his arm and then wore the white long sleeve to protect it.Some irony there I think.

Deng also is a Bull, Hamilton's and Noah's teammates. No love lost on the Cs there.

By the way, while your checking on opnions on Judas, check what cHeat fans have been saying lately on their boards. No D, shouldn't be driving or trying to dish the ball because he turns the ball over. That's what THEY are saying.

Not only that, but Allen knows Rip from his UConn days and played with TA here in Boston.

I've watched about 80% of the Heat's games this year and their defense has been really bad with Allen. He struggles to keep players in front of him, which causes others to rotate to help, this creates a lot of open looks (especially uncontested 3's for other teams) for teams. This could be a primary reason why the Heat has struggled mightily defending the 3 this year and our dead last in rebounding because players are constantly out of position because of the subsequent help D.

His shooting has also been down the last 2 months after a sizzling November to open up the season. In December and January he's shot below 40% from 3's and about 46% from the field.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow, I just found this stat:

2011-2012 Celtics: 91.8 points per game scored, 89.3 points per game allowed
2012-2013 Celtics: 94.9 points per game scored, 96.0 points per game allowed

I don't think it's Ray's shooting we're missing.

Nailed it. At one point this season, I think about 15 games ago, our points allowed was 11 points more than last year. Thats a crazy crazy number.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
yup we miss ray... and if he had any brains he would miss us too....was wayyyyy more of a star here, fans liked him more, more minutes etc.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't see this team's record being any better if Ray had come back. Ray was streaky like everyone else has been this season. Not need to even talk about his defense.

He may have seemed a bit streaky, at times.

But no one - even now - in the NBA evokes the same kind of fear as Ray Allen.

Case in point - one of my FAVORITE games from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

He was like 2 for 14 that game...then he nailed THAT shot.....

soooo, his cruddy shooting put the Cs in the hole with the game on the line, and he finally makes a shot to win the game?

I can't tell if he helped or hurt us. Certainly made things dramatic.

;)

In any case -- we've crossed that bridge.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
we're 'missing' ray because Doc is running the same system that benefited the big 3 of kg, paul and ray.

Tommy Point for you!

Hamilton's comment is all about how Ray would make it easier for KG and Paul, but neither of those guys can do what they did 5 years ago.  And Deng talks about how your can't just plug someone else in to replace Ray and keep doing the same things.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Nailed it. At one point this season, I think about 15 games ago, our points allowed was 11 points more than last year. Thats a crazy crazy number.

Yep, they really fell off a cliff defensively and that's really all the explanation that's necessary for why the team is struggling so badly this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Yep, they really fell off a cliff defensively and that's really all the explanation that's necessary for why the team is struggling so badly this season.

The defense is clearly #1, but you can't completely ignore the offense.  In the 21 loses, Boston's scored over 90 points just 9 times.  In the 20 wins, the team scored less than 90 only 3 times.

After the Cavs game, I saw Doc talking about how the Celtics have had these offensive lulls in the past but they used to get defensive stops to make up for it.  From the way he said it, though, it was obvious that trying to fix the offensive lulls is not something Doc's ever focused that much on.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I hate when posters start topics like "Boy [...]"

How profound.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shut up Tony Allen. You're not some 2013 Boston Celtics expert 'cuz you used to play for us and you managed to stop punching people in the head or destroying your knees on after-the-whistle dunks long enough to gain some sort of credibility as a NBA statesman. You live in Memphis.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Shut up Tony Allen. You're not some 2013 Boston Celtics expert 'cuz you used to play for us and you managed to stop punching people in the head or destroying your knees on after-the-whistle dunks long enough to gain some sort of credibility as a NBA statesman. You live in Memphis.
It was Davis that punched a person, not Allen. But I agree with the general sentiment.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."