Author Topic: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray  (Read 10293 times)

Boy were most posters wrong about Ray
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Remember when our own fans didn't appreciate what ray bought to the table?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/opponents-say-boston-celtics-do-miss-ray-allen/

Richard Hamilton (Chicago Bulls)
“They’re different. When you go into the game, you know with him, he’s coming off curls, he’s coming off pin downs. He really spaces the floor for Paul [Pierce] to go ahead and to what he do, for KG [Kevin Garnett] to do what he do. It was a guy that you never ever could not guard.”

Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls)
“It’s going to be difficult. Ray Allen takes so much attention and he gets guys shots. He made a big difference for them. You could always replace everyone. It’s just, how do you do it? It’s not going to be one guy. Don’t think that you’re going to bring one guy in and he’s going to just fill in the shoes. It takes a team effort and a team goes in a different direction, whether it’s Paul Pierce or Kevin or [Rajon] Rondo who are scoring more. I think people fall into, ‘This guy’s gone, so this guy has to be that guy.’ It’s never like that.

Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies)
“That’s a Hall of Fame kind of guy. So that right there just lets you know, they’re missing Ray. Period, point blank. They’re missing Ray.”

Re: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
ray was our number one option. even if he scores 0 pts, he would spread the floor like no other. Noone ever denied his impact for us, but eventually it would be time to move on. He is way too old and probably screws up rondo's development by being so slow in transition. Rondo needs speed demons, slashers, and other types of players on this team for him.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, we're missing something...

...Maybe Danny could kick the tires with MIA?

I'd ALWAYS welcome Ray Allen back - especially now.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't see this team's record being any better if Ray had come back. Ray was streaky like everyone else has been this season. Not need to even talk about his defense.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

2012-13 Celtics after 41 games: 20-21
2011-12 Celtics after 41 games: 22-19
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't see this team's record being any better if Ray had come back. Ray was streaky like everyone else has been this season. Not need to even talk about his defense.

He may have seemed a bit streaky, at times.

But no one - even now - in the NBA evokes the same kind of fear as Ray Allen.

Case in point - one of my FAVORITE games from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

He was like 2 for 14 that game...then he nailed THAT shot.....

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont think "that guy" will make our record better in any way. He will still be coming off the bench since his defense is suspect. Plus we have to run that dreaded "let him run through screens" play with him, which makes the offense even more stagnant.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

He may have seemed a bit streaky, at times.

But no one - even now - in the NBA evokes the same kind of fear as Ray Allen.

Case in point - one of my FAVORITE games from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

He was like 2 for 14 that game...then he nailed THAT shot.....

He also made the shot that forced OT.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If anyone watched the Heat game today (I was just scouting, I swear!), he hit that dagger of a shot in OT... One of a kind.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Look at the three players talking here.

All rivals with no love for the Cs.

TA still feels dissed by DA and hence the Cs. Basically saying "you screwed up not re-signing me", therefore, by the transitive property you screwed up with Judas.I buy the first part, but not the Judas part. We did all we could to sign Judas (short of giving him the 9 million he knew we would never give), but TA, while happy to be in Memphis still feels dissed (and rightfully so) by DA.

Hamilton, first at Detroit and now in Chicago strongly dislikes the Cs. He's a punk. Remember which Celtic had huge scratches on his arm and then wore the white long sleeve to protect it.Some irony there I think.

Deng also is a Bull, Hamilton's and Noah's teammates. No love lost on the Cs there.

By the way, while your checking on opnions on Judas, check what cHeat fans have been saying lately on their boards. No D, shouldn't be driving or trying to dish the ball because he turns the ball over. That's what THEY are saying.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Unless Ray is now a 6'10 defensive minded big, I don't see it making that much of a difference

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Look at the three players talking here.

All rivals with no love for the Cs.

TA still feels dissed by DA and hence the Cs. Basically saying "you screwed up not re-signing me", therefore, by the transitive property you screwed up with Judas.I buy the first part, but not the Judas part. We did all we could to sign Judas (short of giving him the 9 million he knew we would never give), but TA, while happy to be in Memphis still feels dissed (and rightfully so) by DA.

Hamilton, first at Detroit and now in Chicago strongly dislikes the Cs. He's a punk. Remember which Celtic had huge scratches on his arm and then wore the white long sleeve to protect it.Some irony there I think.

Deng also is a Bull, Hamilton's and Noah's teammates. No love lost on the Cs there.

By the way, while your checking on opnions on Judas, check what cHeat fans have been saying lately on their boards. No D, shouldn't be driving or trying to dish the ball because he turns the ball over. That's what THEY are saying.

Nice observations. TP for you
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Lee didn't start the season slumping from 3 and Jason Terry were more than a shadow of himself I'm pretty sure this would be a non-story.

This is the kind of narrative that writes itself.  The Celtics are struggling therefore they miss Ray Allen.

Except the recent former Celtic the team misses most is probably a healthy Shaq or pre-injury Kendrick Perkins.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
we're 'missing' ray because Doc is running the same system that benefited the big 3 of kg, paul and ray.

now there's no ray but we're trying to do the same things without the same guys.

If Doc played more of an uptempo, running style, not as much half court stuff...or at least not the sets for Ray...then we'd be in a better place, i think.

he's got to run a new system that benefits the big 3 of kg, paul and RONDO.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:56 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Wow, I just found this stat:

2011-2012 Celtics: 91.8 points per game scored, 89.3 points per game allowed
2012-2013 Celtics: 94.9 points per game scored, 96.0 points per game allowed

I don't think it's Ray's shooting we're missing.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague