Author Topic: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray  (Read 10287 times)

Re: Boy were most posters wrong about Ray
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Shut up Tony Allen. You're not some 2013 Boston Celtics expert 'cuz you used to play for us and you managed to stop punching people in the head or destroying your knees on after-the-whistle dunks long enough to gain some sort of credibility as a NBA statesman. You live in Memphis.
It was Davis that punched a person, not Allen. But I agree with the general sentiment.

Au contrair!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-allengrizzlies010411

Mayo owed Allen money from a card game, “Boo-Ray” and sources said Mayo became increasingly belligerent and antagonistic toward Allen when asked to settle the debt. Sources said Allen walked away from Mayo to go the restroom and returned to find Mayo continuing to berate him. Eventually, Mayo inched close to Allen, and sources said Allen hit Mayo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Shut up Tony Allen. You're not some 2013 Boston Celtics expert 'cuz you used to play for us and you managed to stop punching people in the head or destroying your knees on after-the-whistle dunks long enough to gain some sort of credibility as a NBA statesman. You live in Memphis.
It was Davis that punched a person, not Allen. But I agree with the general sentiment.

I think IP was referring to Allen punching O.J. Mayo during a card game on the Memphis team plane a few years back.

Edit: Too slow. Man you guys are quick.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I do think the C's offense is missing Ray.  Their spacing has been horrible most of the season, and if there is one thing Ray gave you, it was spacing. 

But with that said, their defense doesn't miss him, and this team has much bigger problems anyways.

I still think Lee should be more valuable to this team than Ray would be, because of his defense.  But having a shooter like Ray would help this team as well right now.

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Why were we so good without ray last year.

Honestly I think its more guys just talking crap trying to get under our skin.

So TA apparently thinks our missing ingredients are Perk and Ray?

Anyway I wanted ray and the celts wanted him. He just wanted a bum massage if we wanted to keep him and thatbjust wasn't gonna happen. Oh yeah and he wants to be first on speed dial.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
James , Wade and Boshe , and there quicker guards cover up alot of Rays old age ...  he does great in situations where Defense or quickness locking down guys doesn't matter. 

Ray can still hit shots, but the situation would still be the same if he were here, he would add to the woes of an old-slow- nonatheltic team ...  things would be about the same. Doc would be playing him too much and he'd get hurt again. Same ol ..same ol..

Ray would have to up his defense and probally get hurt on the Celtics trying to contribute .

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't see this team's record being any better if Ray had come back. Ray was streaky like everyone else has been this season. Not need to even talk about his defense.

He may have seemed a bit streaky, at times.

But no one - even now - in the NBA evokes the same kind of fear as Ray Allen.

Case in point - one of my FAVORITE games from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

He was like 2 for 14 that game...then he nailed THAT shot.....

soooo, his cruddy shooting put the Cs in the hole with the game on the line, and he finally makes a shot to win the game?

I can't tell if he helped or hurt us. Certainly made things dramatic.

;)

In any case -- we've crossed that bridge.

lol exactly, if his shooting wasn't horrible that night then it wouldn't have even come down to that last play.

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Why were we so good without ray last year.

Honestly I think its more guys just talking crap trying to get under our skin.

So TA apparently thinks our missing ingredients are Perk and Ray?

Anyway I wanted ray and the celts wanted him. He just wanted a bum massage if we wanted to keep him and thatbjust wasn't gonna happen. Oh yeah and he wants to be first on speed dial.

TP. The bum massage just underscores Judas' vanity. For him that's a huge character flaw.

In addition he is a liar, or completely out of touch with reality.Here is a quote from the Miami Sun Sentinel:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-01-20/sports/sfl-miami-heat-ray-allen-s012013_1_td-garden-erik-spoelstra-garnett-and-rajon-rondo

"It's also what Allen said he wants. Just because he's not sure from moment to moment what he needs to do or where he needs to be, he said he still would rather rely on his basketball instincts that return to a style he found increasingly limiting with the Celtics under Doc Rivers.

"When I got to Boston," Allen said, "is when Doc kept me from handling the ball and just kept me on the perimeter and kept me over in the corner, which I wasn't particularly happy with. I just adjusted to what I needed to do for there."

Now is it me or didn't Doc run A TON of plays for him.

Is Judas lying or "misremembering".

Check out the article. Read between the lines and his OCD is making it difficult to adjust to being there. He refers oftentimes to his uncertainty regarding the offense. No plays run for him. Not enough structure.

Poor Judas. ;D

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Doc ran a bunch of plays for Ray, but he also largely took the ball out of his hands.  Doc has a very structured offense with everyone having very defined roles.

Mike

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Doc ran a bunch of plays for Ray, but he also largely took the ball out of his hands.  Doc has a very structured offense with everyone having very defined roles.

Mike

Yeah whatever he still played more minutes than Pierce or KG and plays a ton less for the Heat.

He would have been happier playing 10-15 min less but let him run the show? Well that's what we were kind of doing with that whole reserve roll thing.

Anyway in Miami he is getting less minutes and less shots while handling the ball less and standing in the corner. Guess that's why he is contemplating retirement

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Yeah whatever he still played more minutes than Pierce or KG and plays a ton less for the Heat.

But Doc's culture in Boston with the Big 3 has always elevated them above the rest of the team.  Everything is oriented around them and the other players are just supposed to fill in.  Whenever Doc talks about "spacing", he means giving KG or Paul room to operate.  Boston's offense is not open to anybody getting a shot.  It's about getting certain players shots.  When Doc went with Avery over Ray, Ray understandably felt like he was being demoted from "Big 3" to "one of the other guys".

Why isn't Big Baby here?  Because Doc wouldn't tell KG to play center.

Why isn't Tony Allen here?  Because he got tired of being the guy who was good enough to play the last 15 seconds of the 4th quarter on defense, but not good enough to play over Ray any other time.

Why was Nate Robinson less productive in Boston than anywhere else in his career, including Chicago now?  Because Doc will not let someone like Nate come in off the bench with the green light to shoot.

Mike

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We miss Ray.  However, there was apparently no realistic way we were going to be able to sign him.  The damage was already done, between the internal conflicts and the various trade attempts.  (I'm not saying I necessarily blame Danny for the trade attempts, but don't be surprised if that results in Ray feeling not wanted.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
We miss Ray.  However, there was apparently no realistic way we were going to be able to sign him.  The damage was already done, between the internal conflicts and the various trade attempts.  (I'm not saying I necessarily blame Danny for the trade attempts, but don't be surprised if that results in Ray feeling not wanted.)

But if KG and/or PP didn't go along with the trade, which has been strongly implied, he was wanted....by his teammates....to me that would be pretty important, but because of his vanity, he  thought so much of himself that he shouldn't be discussed in trades every year. Plus we offered double what he took.
Those things should tell a normal person that they are wanted.

His vanity is such a driving force that it knows no bounds. I mean, he has been almost delusional about his misremembering his role in his time here, from recent quotes.

Hey Judas, man, whatever it takes to ease your conscience or repair your New England image...by all means do it!

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I thought Davis punched an SUV, not a person.

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Allen punched Mayo, though that wasn't with us.