Author Topic: Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'  (Read 7984 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The fact that he would listen to offers for Paul is awful. The fact that he openly talks about it is just effing nauseating. I hate that man.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The fact that he would listen to offers for Paul is awful. The fact that he openly talks about it is just effing nauseating. I hate that man.

"Nothing has been talked about with Paul," said Ainge. "Nothing is close to being done. I too would like to see Paul retire as a Celtic.That would be great. We're all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, and he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul. My job is to do what's in the best interest of our team, regardless of my personal ties or my personal feelings with the players."

Not sure what more you want. Doesn't want to trade Pierce, but will entertain the notionif it benefits the team. That's his job.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 03:59:31 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Paul Pierce is the one guy on this team I would not trade.

Our offense flows well through him. As long as we don't run that darn iso at the top of the key for him every time late in a game.  To easy for other teams to defend.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

His job is to do what's best for the team. Not be a paul pierce fangirl.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

His job is to do what's best for the team. Not be a paul pierce fangirl.

Pierce is my favorite player and I am 100% anti trade Pierce. However why wouldnt I listen to offers? You listen to offers for everybody. Someone blows you away then you think about. If it doesnt you move on.

Im sure Danny talks to a different GM about trading Pierce everyday. Im sure some of them is between laughter, some of them might make sense but ultimately he says no. Just the nature of the job.

"Hey Kupchac, what would your team look like if we did  Pierce for Kobe?"

"Haha."

"So hows the weather out there."

Stuff like that Im sure happens in every single coversation.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

"Nothing has been talked about with Paul," said Ainge. "Nothing is close to being done. I too would like to see Paul retire as a Celtic.That would be great. We're all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, and he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul. My job is to do what's in the best interest of our team, regardless of my personal ties or my personal feelings with the players."

Not sure what more you want. Doesn't want to trade Pierce, but will entertain the notionif it benefits the team. That's his job.

Couldn't agree more.

It's the right way to GM.  The sport is different, but I will always look to the 49ers in their prime.  They knew you wanted to catch players on the rise.  They made the move from Montana with that same strategy and look how that worked out?

People complaining about a GM doing his job?  C'mon guys.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Rondo for a late first. Or a second round pick.

That is pretty awful value for even an injured Rondo.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It's a joke.

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

It's a joke.

Tone is a tricky thing on the internet

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

It's a joke.

Tone is a tricky thing on the internet

No no sorry, I mean that offer of a late first and a second is a joke.

Yeah you're right about tone on the internet I think this exchange proves it haha.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Im sure if DA trades PP people will want his head, call him the worst GM ever etc.

But that would depend on the trade. IF it make us better for the next 5 to 8 years. We will only be slightly good to good for the next couple years.

So as much is it hard for DA to trade a guy he likes and respects, he also has to keep the team winning, which also makes the team money. If you were the manager at a  store you'd have to do the same thing. you might like an employee, but he just isn't getting the job done, you have to move on and bring in new blood.

Now Im not saying PP isn't getting the job done, but he is showing age, that just the life of the NBA.

As sad I would be to see PP go, if it brought in new young talent that in a couple years would make us legit contenders for years, I'd be okay with that. Or at least understand it.

And don't give me the whole ride it out then tank and get draft pics crap. Other than trading the # 5 pic for the guy that could shoot well, and DA having a friend in Minni to help out the draft hasn't been kind to us. Even the #5 should have been #1 or 2. ITs a risky move.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Couldn't agree more.

It's the right way to GM.  The sport is different, but I will always look to the 49ers in their prime.  They knew you wanted to catch players on the rise.  They made the move from Montana with that same strategy and look how that worked out?

Loyalty. Look at his body of work... you aren't going to let him retire a Celtic? Think carefully about the costs vs. benefits of trading him... which wins out? I don't see us markedly improving by shipping him out - not in the near future or long-term, considering what he will bring back. In my humble opinion, the argument to trade him on logistical grounds, then, sucks.

The issue of loyalty adds major fuel to the fire for me. If you're shopping him, do it quietly. This strategy is beneficial in nearly every profession. Loyalty is a huge component of winning. People aren't coming here if they don't feel valued or at all protected from being dumped.

Finally, you don't need to coddle to be loyal and respectful. Loyalty/respect wins, and if you're going to deviate from both - shopping him around, again - he should shut his mouth about it to the media. It's disrespectful to the backbone of our organization for X number of years.

A "fangirl," as someone above stated, is better defined as a fair-weather fan that has no appreciation for the grit that Paul/this unit have shown together for X years. Not a fan that values loyalty/respect.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Couldn't agree more.

Loyalty. Look at his body of work... you aren't going to let him retire a Celtic? Think carefully about the costs vs. benefits of trading him... which wins out? I don't see us markedly improving by shipping him out - not in the near future or long-term, considering what he will bring back. In my humble opinion, the argument to trade him on logistical grounds, then, sucks.

The issue of loyalty adds major fuel to the fire for me. If you're shopping him, do it quietly. This strategy is beneficial in nearly every profession. Loyalty is a huge component of winning. People aren't coming here if they don't feel valued or at all protected from being dumped.

Finally, you don't need to coddle to be loyal and respectful. Loyalty/respect wins, and if you're going to deviate from both - shopping him around, again - he should shut his mouth about it to the media. It's disrespectful to the backbone of our organization for X number of years.

A "fangirl," as someone above stated, is better defined as a fair-weather fan that has no appreciation for the grit that Paul/this unit have shown together for X years. Not a fan that values loyalty/respect.

I'm the last person who would say we should give Pierce away.  All the reasonable proposals I've seen I haven't liked.

But being sentimental or too loyal can kill your franchise.  I understand and respect where you are coming from, but as I cited, do you think the 49ers made the wrong move when they brought up Young and let Montana go?  History says yes they did.  Montana is considered by many to be the greatest QB of all time, yet they made a hard choice.

But it was the right one.

The situation isn't the same for us, but my point remains.  If there was a good enough offer, I'd be willing to do it.

And I'm all for honesty from Ainge.  really, in our current world, it'd all come out anyways.  And then it'd probably be worse for Pierce if Ainge is saying nothing directly or to his face and then looking behind his back.  He wouldn't trust him at all.