Author Topic: What do you want from Jeff Green??  (Read 8773 times)

Re: What do you want from Jeff Green??
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:47 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
People keep talking about starting Green so he can give us 15/6 w/ more minutes... well, PP is giving us that NOW (pretty close to his averages this month), how is that working for us? If you give Jeff the 36mins it takes him to get those stats then you are taking away a LOT of minutes from PP... if you think PP can score and do more with a lot less minutes (say the amount of mins Jeff gets now), I'd say ask Doc about that... he insists that PP needs more time to get into a flow (I'd agree b/c PP seems like a slow starter most nights). So what we will see by moving PP to the bench and giving him less minutes to accommodate the minutes Jeff NEEDS to get the 15/6 you guys want... PP getting probably the same production as Jeff (probably slightly better b/c he is PP, better naturally), how much do you think that's going to help us if all we get is maybe only a tiny bit more production from PP doing a little more than Jeff with the small mins (again, I doubt it would change seeing as PP needs more mins to get into a flow like {Doc} I mentioned before).

To the original question asked;
What we need from Green is a consistent effort out there, he should be able to get us 10pts a night at least... I don't mean what he averages because some nights he'll have like 18pts and others 2 or so, which makes it seem like he is getting us 10 a night but he isn't. We can't COUNT ON Jeff... I never go into a game night saying, at least I know Jeff is going to get us 10pts... no, most of us say, which Jeff will we see tonight or I HOPE good Jeff shows up!

Now, with all that said, Jeff isn't the problem and even if we could count on 10-12pts from him, we would still have this record or close to it, most likely... Jeff isn't close to being the problem (even though he is not helping it much)! We have much bigger problems that don't even involve Jeff but this isn't the thread for that.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 04:20:35 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
what do i want from jeff green?

1.  basketball IQ (his georgetown coach said he had it,but i cant see it)
2.  consistent effort - like he cares that we win a game
3.  consistent aggressiveness
4.  some form of bodily co-ordination when he drives
5.  defense (specifically making the right rotations)
5.  in 22 mins a night:

i would expect a position adjusted winscore of at least.1
in terms of per i would expect him to be at least at 16 or so for 9 million dollars.

14 points
4 rebounds
and actual defense (i think his inability to actually play defense is the biggest problem - he's too slow to laterally keep up with an opponent).

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 06:08:10 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
To be traded

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 06:19:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Play "free".

I really believe he's strung up in the system. He's playing the way the Celtics wanted him to play, which again is not all that bad. But I want him to be confident enough to take over if he sees an opportunity.

He's bigger than some if not most SF's in the league. He's athletic enough, and a decent mid range shooter. He needs to be selfish a bit if he see's that he can take on his man. I don't want him moving the ball even though he has a smaller, not as strong SF against him just because the system tells him so.

All I'm saying I guess is I want him to be confident in his skills and his physical tools, be a bit more selfish, be unafraid and be aggressive and let the game flow to him and take advantage.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 07:02:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All I'm saying I guess is I want him to be confident in his skills and his physical tools, be a bit more selfish, be unafraid and be aggressive and let the game flow to him and take advantage.

The light has not went off yet, what makes you think it will?   Mental lapses and the like take the longest to over come.   I think he has all the tools, good physical ability but doesn't have it between the ears.   Now he is no Gerald Green but he is hardly brimming with confidence or tbe mentality to assert himself and take over a game.   I have seen it once this year when he played OKC.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I just want him to play more.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I want to know what you want from him?
I want him to play like a player that's worth his contract.  I think that's a fair expectation.

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think it's time  to stop babying green.  All I hear is about his confidence and being assertive.   Grow up already!!!! He's a freakin NBA player gettin paid to play basketball.  It ain't that hard.  There's rookies coming into the league with more assertiveness then him. He doesn't have it regardless of what team or scenario he's on.  He's a roster space and that's all he'll ever be.   No NBA player should ever be this inconsistent with as much time in the league he's had.  We need to stop kidding ourselves that Jeff green will turn it around because he won't!

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think it's time  to stop babying green.  All I hear is about his confidence and being assertive.   Grow up already!!!! He's a freakin NBA player gettin paid to play basketball.  It ain't that hard.  There's rookies coming into the league with more assertiveness then him. He doesn't have it regardless of what team or scenario he's on.  He's a roster space and that's all he'll ever be.   No NBA player should ever be this inconsistent with as much time in the league he's had.  We need to stop kidding ourselves that Jeff green will turn it around because he won't!

Thank you for the rant.
The question remains -- what do you want from Jeff Green?

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
To pack up and leave.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I want solid effort, offensive aggressiveness, and defensive intensity night-in, night-out.  The same level of energy every game (obviously a consistent bump up from what he gives now).

I don't care if he scores 20 points or 8 points.  I want him to have a positive impact on the game.

I don't want him to disappear on the court.  The worst thing a pro ball player can do is disappear on the court.  That literally means they're doing nothing to help their team win.

You must contribute something positive even when your shot isn't falling.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I want 12 points, 5 rebounds 3 assists, 1 steal, .5 blocks, and 2 turnovers or less in 24 minutes a night. I want him to shoot 48% from the field, 37% from 3, and to play shutdown or at least very good man to man defense on whoever the biggest opposing swingman is on the floor.

And most importantly, I want him to be able to do that every night.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
kgainez:

I meant that I would like him to focus on becoming a dominant defender at the three spot. And if he were able to do that, it's all 'possible" that he could occasionally do the same at the 2 spot in the right match ups.

Kind of like Tony Allen was a lock down defender at the two but can also occasionally get on a three like Melo or LeBron and bother them as well - just not his strongest defensive spot.

I think Green can definitely be a starter on a championship team - 3rd or 4th options tarter from a scoring standpoint. You need Paul Pierce, Ray Allen level scorers in their prime to take the lead on the offensive end. I don't think Green will ever be that type of scorer.

However he could greatly increase his value by focusing on becoming a lock down defender at the three.

Then, if our team is uptempo and he's starting and playing 34-38 minutes a night at the three, I think he's "also" more than capable of putting up 14-17 points a game and 4-6 boards.

Those offensive numbers with lock down D at the three will be very well worth every penny we're paying him on his current contract.

I also think his athletic ability provides him the tools to become that type of defender - it's really up to him.

If I were coaching him I'd really push him in that direction.

Find another way to increase his value via defense.

if he can get on a guy like Lebron or Melo and give them "fits", that's the type of stuff that really helps teams win series.

Like TA on DWade or Kobe. Big factor.

I don't know if he can get there, but I'd certainly push him in that direction - his points, 14, 15 a game will come.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I want him to earn the additional minutes and starting role that he's capable of earning. From there, display to everyone that he is not only 100% healthy, but a more mature and more skilled professional than he was during his days in OKC (when he was 23/24 years old).

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
I want him to show up and play aggressive every night, rather than only when he wants to.  Everything else basically falls into place from there.  Give me 5-6 rebounds a night, too... physically there's no reason he shouldn't be one of the best rebounding SF's in the league. 

As far as long-term goals go, I want him to display noteworthy improvement in his basketball skills.  Right now he still looks the same as he did when he came into the league.