Author Topic: Sully's Defense 91st percentile 0.724 that's awesome.  (Read 1963 times)

Sully's Defense 91st percentile 0.724 that's awesome.
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 That's great news. Open the picture to see the Espn write up.

Re: Sully's Defense 91st percentile 0.724 that's awesome.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
What's this from? What's the "A" ranking mean?

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The picture also says he's third in the NBA in personal files -- this despite playing ~25 minutes per game. You can't play defense when you're not on the court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The picture also says he's third in the NBA in personal files -- this despite playing ~25 minutes per game. You can't play defense when you're not on the court.

Yup, that is a major issue.  The fouls need to stop.  But, still, it doesn't take away from the fact that Sully has been a tremendous defensive player so far, and keeps getting better.  For a guy that most people thought would be a defensive liability, this is very good news.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He regressed a little last night, but he's definitely made great strides defensively.  Using his strength in the post, getting in position for charges, contributing on the defensive glass - still slow in pick and roll coverage, too short to contest at a high level and iffy on some rotations however.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He regressed a little last night, but he's definitely made great strides defensively.  Using his strength in the post, getting in position for charges, contributing on the defensive glass - still slow in pick and roll coverage, too short to contest at a high level and iffy on some rotations however.

See, I disagree with some of this.  I think he has been really good in pick and roll over the last 3 weeks or so, and is probably their most consistent with the rotations, other than KG.  Now that he knows the rotations without thinking, he is nailing the blitzing and switches on pick and roll.  And while he is not the guy you want chasing guys off 3's, he contests a ton of shots in the paint, just by beating his man to the position, and using his length. 

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Cannot open link:-(((

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yup, that is a major issue.  The fouls need to stop.  But, still, it doesn't take away from the fact that Sully has been a tremendous defensive player so far, and keeps getting better.  For a guy that most people thought would be a defensive liability, this is very good news.
He was, in the beginning. To his credit, he has improved tremendously so far.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I really hope that back issue never comes up(fingers crossed) and he has a long and healthy career.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Very good news indeed. Now if he can stay on the floor, I think we gotta run more post up plays on the block for him. Hes the only guy on them team that gives us a legit inside presence and that is what we are desperately lacking. Good work big fellah.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Very good news indeed. Now if he can stay on the floor, I think we gotta run more post up plays on the block for him. Hes the only guy on them team that gives us a legit inside presence and that is what we are desperately lacking. Good work big fellah.
I don't think he's shown yet that he can consistently score on the block on anything that's not a putback. Some nice moves, yes, but far from being a regular post isolation threat.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I don't think he's shown yet that he can consistently score on the block on anything that's not a putback. Some nice moves, yes, but far from being a regular post isolation threat.

He's the only guy on our team that has post moves going towards the basket. I'm not saying run the offense through him, but getting him more touches inside the paint/down on the block would be greatly beneficially to our offense.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think the good thing about Sully is he knows how to use his body well.

He has some Glenn Davis in him, but not that much.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i was wrong bout him and glad i was!! Hopefully he continue to improve
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I'm not a big fan of some of these advanced stats. Way too many variables. Who he is matched up with, how much help he gets, at what point in the game is he defending the most etc etc.

That along with the fact that he is a fouling machine makes me think that this number is pretty bogus.

I will admit that he seems to have picked up the defense a lot better than everyone had thought and is leaps and bounds better than  preseason