Author Topic: My thoughts and observations on 1st Half of the Season.  (Read 353 times)

My thoughts and observations on 1st Half of the Season.
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Things my eyes have noticed over the course of this 1st half of the season.

1. Our first unit/starting unit gets off to slow starts - this was especially the case early on when Bradley was out and Doc was trying to find a suitable replacement at the 2 spot. I thought Doc gave up on C. Lee too early and moved Jason Terry into the starting role too soon which removed Terry away from his original true comfortable role as 6th man.

2. Rondo's productivity is not much different in our wins or losses. I would have guessed in our losses Rajon's scoring would be way higher and his assists would be much lower, but they are each pretty much on par one way or the other.

3. Paul Pierce's productivity is significantly higher in our Wins versus our losses. (PP efficiency is also greater in our wins vs losses). To me, this suggests PP offensive statistics are the greatest indicators of our Wins vs Losses.

4. Bradley's ball pressure somehow magnifies KG's defense and the achoring of our defense.

5. C. Lee has somewhat the same ball pressure effect with the 2nd unit. I really like what he brings to the team even though sometimes he doesn't make the open jumper, but I think that will change with time.

6. Our best 5 man unit appears to be the 2nd unit during KG's 2nd playing stint and the line up consisting of Lee/Terry/Green/Sully/KG. Most games when the 1st unit falls behind, the 2nd unit usually can bring us back into the game.

7. Brandon Bass has lost confidence in his jumper, especially earlier on in the season, but is starting to heat up.

8. Sullinger kinda reminds me of Brandon Hunter and Danny Fortson, but better than both. I would still prefer to have Big Baby, just not all of Big Baby's attitude woes. Does Sully have more potential to meet, that escapes me? I somehow just see him at his peak already. If teams gameplan against him, a team can easily take out Sully's presence just by boxing him out. I don't think Sully has as great of an offensive skill set to be a #1 option. Sully is somewhere between Reggie Evans - Udonis Haslem spectrum of talent/skill/DNA. Sully relies much more on hard work, hustle, desire, heart than god given physical abilities. Bottomline, he provides this team somethings that we rarely have without him.

9. Jason Terry's biggest value is his big shot making ability, we just haven't been in too many games where these opportunities present it self to Jet when Jet is in a groove. In times when these opportunities have arised, JET has been in a cold slump. I do believe Jet will turn it around after the all-star break, once Doc starts using Jet correctly.

10. KG needs more shots, we should run more pick and rolls with KG and we should run them with all kinds of players, not just Rondo and Pierce.

11. I've never seen Doc as upset as he has been or as frustrated as he has been this whole 1st half. I still feel like Danny had done a very good job in the off-season to put a make piece team together with his resources at hand. I think Doc Rivers should have listened to more of his own philosophy and "not change a [dang] thing" and kinda just let the players' play sort out the roles. I feel like Doc did too much tinkering with the lineups and substitution patterns. I do not feel like certain players played correctly or hard enough with each other too truly evaluate if "it worked or not".

If other people would like to share their own individual insights, please do.