Where will Jeff Green peak?

Not Much [Jason Collins]
Role Player [Leandro Barbosa]
Role Player-Starter [Courtney Lee]
Solid Starter [Last year's Brandon Bass]
Fringe All-Star [This year's Paul Pierce]
Perennial All-Star [Rajon Rondo]
Franchise Player [2003 Paul Pierce]

Author Topic: Jeff Green's Future  (Read 6930 times)

Re: Jeff Green's Future
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

no because kgainez is a lady :)
secondly, I apologize that I happen to be ok with Jeff's game. Could he use improvement? Absolutely! But I've come to terms that Jeff is not Paul, LeBron, Deng or whomever. He's Jeff.

And I promise you. Once you accept that, this season will be much easier.
I spent the first 20 or so games of the season just like you. Hating Jeff.

I don't hate Green, it's just frustrating to watch him play. I more angry at Ainge giving him that contract than Green for his play. To me Green is what he is at this point.

I can't get too angry at Danny, because I think that contract is still very movable, and while Green is frustrating to watch, signing him, actually gave the team more flexibility by preserving that salary spot to upgrade via trade.

I don't think its untradable, but I just don't think 4 yrs 36 was necessary

same thing ppl said about Rondo's contract

I don't remember anyone saying that about Rondo

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Poor Jeff, is he as much a polarizing figure on celtics blog as rondo?

either way, I voted for solid starter/fringe all star

Jeff is a good #2 more likely #3 option as a starting sf for a good team.  He is not and will never be the offensive player that PP is, however in the history of celtics basketball paul really is one of the best scorers (scorers) ever.  So we don't' need to compare him that way.  Will Green ever be as good as Lebron or Carmelo, NO not in same class.  He can put up good solid numbers across the board and play good defense.  I don't think that is really fringe all star, especially with the new voting for front line players instead of forwards centers etc.
Give Jeff shots and he'll put up good numbers.  We ran plays for him in preseason specific plays and he looked REAL good.  Since then he isn't given the ball in the position to score much at all.  I can't figure why there aren't a few plays to go to his or terry's strengths.  Our offense has been reduced to pp iso (aaa) , pass it around until someone jacks a jumper or the rondo break down the offense.  This should be on the coaching staff, very very predictable offense.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

secondly, I apologize that I happen to be ok with Jeff's game. Could he use improvement? Absolutely! But I've come to terms that Jeff is not Paul, LeBron, Deng or whomever. He's Jeff.

I don't hate Green, it's just frustrating to watch him play. I more angry at Ainge giving him that contract than Green for his play. To me Green is what he is at this point.

I can't get too angry at Danny, because I think that contract is still very movable, and while Green is frustrating to watch, signing him, actually gave the team more flexibility by preserving that salary spot to upgrade via trade.

Same thing the general population said about Rondo's contract.
Didn't say you did or didn't. Just pointing it out. I can do that, right?

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Exactly.  As I recall, a lot of people on here already considered that deal a bargain. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Poor Jeff, is he as much a polarizing figure on celtics blog as rondo?

either way, I voted for solid starter/fringe all star

Jeff is a good #2 more likely #3 option as a starting sf for a good team.  He is not and will never be the offensive player that PP is, however in the history of celtics basketball paul really is one of the best scorers (scorers) ever.  So we don't' need to compare him that way.  Will Green ever be as good as Lebron or Carmelo, NO not in same class.  He can put up good solid numbers across the board and play good defense.  I don't think that is really fringe all star, especially with the new voting for front line players instead of forwards centers etc.
Give Jeff shots and he'll put up good numbers.  We ran plays for him in preseason specific plays and he looked REAL good.  Since then he isn't given the ball in the position to score much at all.  I can't figure why there aren't a few plays to go to his or terry's strengths.  Our offense has been reduced to pp iso (aaa) , pass it around until someone jacks a jumper or the rondo break down the offense.  This should be on the coaching staff, very very predictable offense.

agreed

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Exactly.  As I recall, a lot of people on here already considered that deal a bargain.

Now, yes. We're paying an all star 11 mill!!
But 2 years ago everyone was rather confused.

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

What the heck are you talking about?

Ask most people who were on these boards bakc then or, heck, go back and look for yourself.

His contract was nowhwere near scrutinized as much as Green's and was seen in a much different light.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

While I also thought going into the offseason that he would be able to be signed to a much more team friendly deal, I make a point to never question market value, particularly with a GM that I respect like Ainge.  We were not privy to the negotiations, nor were the reporters who have sounded off about how bad a signing they think it was.  We do not know what other teams were willing to offer. 

All I know is that when you take out the missed season, which apparently they really did completely write off as an anomale, the contract pretty much matches up with other similar players, based on age, skillset, production, etc.

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

And this is the problem with a lot of people.
We don't pay Green. We just watch him play. So get over his contract.
Yes. I agree. It can be frustrating to watch him play, just like it's frustrating to see Rondo pass out when he has a layup or when Paul goes 3-15 and airballs his last three.
What are you saying to me? Because of his large contract, he ain't gon be (crap)? lol That makes 0 sense.

Actually I am kinda paying since I go to games and watch the games helping tv ratings. And I'm gonna care about the money bc I care about the future of the team. So I think that theory makes no sense. And yes Green is a million times more frustrating to watch than Rondo and Pierce.

$300/$400 for Season tickets? Gosh! That's so much of his salary!! I, too, care about the future. And I do my part by viewing and voting. I don't pay the guys, though.

Green is not a million times more frustrating to watch, mainly because he doesn't get half the play or touches Paul/Rondo gets.

You just feel so entitled to his contract. I want to know what you want from Jeff Green. I don't think he will be developed behind Paul Pierce. His growth is certainly stunted right now. He had no development in OKC -- he was fresh out of college, they were trying to put things together.

He needs the proper attention. I'd like if he did some things in the off season with maybe James Worthy or worked out with another NBA star to get some development. Everyone has this idea of what they want him to be and put no effort into making him that. He's raw talent. Doc also doesn't seem like a raw talent developer kind of guy.

Just like a vocalist has raw talent and sounds good, they still need vocal training to be better. I feel like Jeff has never had that. Just been a raw talent type of guy.

Actually no fans=no NBA, so brushing that aside doesn't make sense.

He also is not raw talent, he's 26 and been in the NBA for 6 years. Drummond is raw talent, MKG is raw talent, Green is set in stone.

I don't hate Green, I just don't think he's some Carmello/1st option type player that has been in such poor situations throughout his career.

As far as what I want from Green....I just want him to be aggresive, although I'm being told that it's just him and his great court vision while he avg more turnovers than assists in his career.

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

While I also thought going into the offseason that he would be able to be signed to a much more team friendly deal, I make a point to never question market value, particularly with a GM that I respect like Ainge.  We were not privy to the negotiations, nor were the reporters who have sounded off about how bad a signing they think it was.  We do not know what other teams were willing to offer. 

All I know is that when you take out the missed season, which apparently they really did completely write off as an anomale, the contract pretty much matches up with other similar players, based on age, skillset, production, etc.

That's what I felt.
Didn't we trade him as a 9 mil guy?
So he's got a good agent!

I was concerned about the 4 years thing, but if they get more out of Green (by giving him more playing time), I think the contract becomes less of an issue.

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ask most people who were on these boards bakc then or, heck, go back and look for yourself.

His contract was nowhwere near scrutinized as much as Green's and was seen in a much different light.

Yeah, I think the reaction was pretty positive from Celtics fans, at least here on the blog:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=32654.0

There's going to be some hand-wringing in any transaction, but from what I remember, the fan base was on board with Rondo's extension, and reacted largely negatively to Green's contract terms.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

Yeah I guess everyone hated the Rondo signing.  ::)

And Jeff Green isn't passive, he's scanning the floor bc he's such a playmaker avg 1.7 turnovers and 1.6 assists in his career.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Yeah I guess everyone hated the Rondo signing.  ::)

And Jeff Green isn't passive, he's scanning the floor bc he's such a playmaker avg 1.7 turnovers and 1.6 assists in his career.
'

goodness
and you pay so much of everyone's salary  ::)
carpal tunnel from signing checks, guy!

I can stand corrected on the Rondo thing. That's cool.
And I've never said that about Jeff lol. If that's what he's doing, speed it up.

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The Jeff Green is God stuff over and over again is getting ridiculous.

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The Jeff Green is God stuff over and over again is getting ridiculous.

No one said he's god.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"